Author Topic: *Short* delay when turning on or off radar/blink last known location  (Read 2045 times)

Offline snooggums

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-1
Currently radar is set up in a way that it can be turned on and off instantly, allowing for a partial second's use for the reading of enemy mech locations and even type if fast to click. I'm suggesting a very short but noticeable delay to the activation and shutdown of the radar represent the system activating and shutting down to give a slight increase in the enemy noticing the 'ping' as such advanced computers should notify the pilot that a new object had shown and disappeared.

Implementation:
When the player switches the radar on or off there is a one second delay between pressing the button and the change of state. Turning on the radar would take a second before the radar showed enemy mechs (during which time the player would show on the enemy radar as active with no change to the radar screen) and then one second to power back down (enemy still shows on screen, mech shows as active radar).

This would increase a 'ping' to two seconds, enough for someone watching their radar for pings, but not very noticeable for someone in combat or simply not paying attention to their radar very often. The time could of course be reduced slightly but anything under one second shown to the enemy wouldn't have the proposed effect.

Last known location
Alternately, the radar could show any unit's location for a second or two after they disappear from radar by blinking the icon in that spot, but this should only be in place while the radar is on. This would achieve the same effect for the non-pining mech while not rewarding the pining mech who would not have the blinking icon after they turned off the radar.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
Re: *Short* delay when turning on or off radar/blink last known location
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 05:43:44 PM »
Interesting suggests, but why?  Is this to stop mechs from running passive all the time?

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 05:57:46 PM »
It's to prevent pinging and thus getting the best of both radar modes almost without the drawbacks. Seconded.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:08:46 PM by HAARP »
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline The Saint

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »
Vote against.

You only get a glimpse of the return for as long as you leave the radar on anyways, which is very brief if you don't want people to see that you're illuminating. Since the implementation of the more complex radar system, "pinging" or "strobing" or "blinking" your radar already gives you very limited information. I don't see the need to remove that little bit of advantage.
Honk if you like cookies (and think Oro should have a greater turret elevation)!

Offline -SM-SUCKER

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +82/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 01:31:59 AM »
I like this idea. Seems to be common though :)http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/forum/index.php/topic,9791.0.html

Offline Dragonlord

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +22/-4
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 01:50:47 AM »
I for one dont see any problem with it.
Whenever I "ping" my radar I usually leave it on for about 1-2 seconds, to get an idea of where my target is and whats around me.
Corsair HX 850W PSU
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Socket-AM3           AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Six Core, 3,3GHZ/3,7GHz Turbo
Corsair SSD Force Series™ 3, 120GB                  Western Digital Caviar® Black 2TB
Gainward GeForce GTX 560Ti 2GB PhysX "Phantom"
Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 8GB (2x4GB)
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro                     Logitech Z906 THX Certified Speaker System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Offline snooggums

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-1
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 04:32:02 PM »
I like this idea. Seems to be common though :)http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/forum/index.php/topic,9791.0.html

I searched with 'delay', didn't find your thread :(

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-0
  • What would a pirate do?
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »
I agree with Saint,
as already mentioned in Suckers topic;
What's wrong about pinging?

It's very easy to spot a pinging mech, if you just keep an eye on your radar aswell...
That's an attitude you can train, it's called: "situational awareness" :P
If at first you don't succeed try again, and if you don't try again, you'll be hit in the face with a shovel!
"I'm a piece of C.R.A.P."

Offline -SM-SUCKER

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +82/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »
This is only my opinion, but I think if you go passive you should only be passive. Means mithout active radar.

The way it is done right now, there is almost no reason to go active, unless you want to LRM someone or be shoot by LRMs that is.
A delay or warm up would encourage people to stay active and share the benefits of C3 and BAP etc. I think it would encourage some sort of gameplay while goiing passive should then be well planned.
Maybe even reduce the passive detection range at the same time, to balance the delay.

Offline (TLL) Zeh

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 05:19:33 PM »
I wholeheartedly disagree with any delays.  I wouldn't be against targets fading from radar slowly (Over the course of a second or so)

Offline Virt

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-7
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
I think it's fine the way it is, and that good pilots already keep an eye on the radar for enemy pings.

That being said...

I wouldn't be against targets fading from radar slowly (Over the course of a second or so)

... that's not a bad idea, too.
Creating Kodiak Moments since 1984.

Offline zombat

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »
I wholeheartedly disagree with any delays.  I wouldn't be against targets fading from radar slowly (Over the course of a second or so)
I like this better

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 09:39:50 PM »
RL Radar fades slowly as it is, although I think that was a function of the displays more so than the radar.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »
The only problem with pinging is that if you repeatedly ping at very high speed, you will get yourself an "untargetable radar". You will see eerything around you and will be visible for everyone, but no one could target your asset, as switching off the radar will make enemy TC to loose the lock. Of course, this "ultrapinging" asset couldn't target anything either, but switching radar completely on for a second or two would allow a pilot to get a lock and see enough target info, while enemy pilot would have to monitor "pinging asset" closely to be able to react and target it in time. With that said, I think this suggestion would do the trick:

I wouldn't be against targets fading from radar slowly (Over the course of a second or so)

With outdated but viable info still visible a couple of seconds after switching radar off, "ultraping" would loose it's unfair advantage. It also will add some realism to mech sensor array, as switching off such complex system couldn't be absolutely instantaneous.

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 04:42:03 PM »
I could live with that. +1!
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.