Author Topic: MW:LL completely crashes computer  (Read 2905 times)

Offline boateye

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
MW:LL completely crashes computer
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:50:50 AM »
I've downloaded,installed and patched MW:LL from 3.0 to 3.1 to 3.2 yesterday. yesterday, the game was running for a little bit, then it crashed my whole computer. I mean the sort of crash where everything froze. No hard drive activity, not cursor movement, nothing!.

I do a hard reset, and when i reboot, i find out that my Crysis game won't launch at all (i bought Crysis through Steam btw).  Long story short, i had to download a cryaction.dll from filefront.com to replace the original to get it to work. I never had this problem when i first installed Crysis.

Now, when i try to play MW:LL, the game will run fine for all of 30 seconds~1.5 minutes. then it crashed my computer like i described in the first paragraph. It crashes most often on loading screens and on the team selection screen.

PLEASE HELP! this game looks like one hell of a time! i'm just having one trying to get it to work!

My system:

Intel core i7-930
ATI Sapphire Radeon hd 5850
4GB RAM

Offline whatever

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-1
  • Has the wisdom of the old man of the mountain.
Re: MW:LL completely crashes computer
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:31:33 AM »
check your ram,also your video card could be over heating,give your computer a good cleaning with computer cleaner,check for new drivers for your video card from the manufacturer of your card,your power supply might be going bad,check for viruses and spyware with a reputable av/antispyware scanner,limit your running processes in the back ground while running the game,delete your mods file in mydocuments,clear your temp files, also turn your shaders and motion blur to low in the in game options, also turn down your resulution lower, turn down your overclocking if your overclocking crysis is ruthless on overclocked systems, this is a few things that come to mind to check on,also look at the crysis forum at ea for similar problems,also run it in 32 bit mode and force dx9,this is my best guess solutions to get the game running.  :(

also i am NOT a expert so take my advice at your own risk i dont want to be blamed for bricking your computer. :(
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:38:55 AM by whatever »
I was a mechwarrior like you once; until i took a arrow to my mech's knee ...

Offline boateye

• Bondsman
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:48:08 AM »
Except for running the game at lower settings (this rig can run vanilla Crysis ~35-40FPS full maxed out), i have tried everything you suggested. This is a new rig i built last week, so nothing needs to be cleaned, yet.

Also, Crysis, nor any other game i play, does not exhibit the same problems i am getting from MW:LL. Even games like Just Cause 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and Metro 2033 which are all pretty graphically intensive. I did overclock my system, and i did try running MW:LL at stock speeds, but it changed nothing.

I will try running MW:LL at lower settings, but i don't think that's the problem. Thank you for the suggestions.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Running MW:LL in dx9 @ max settings runs ok, though i get some really weird texture loading upon entry to a game. However, if i run DX10 at anything higher than all settings set to low, the game will crash.

Note: i am running the 32-bit version because Steam doesn't give you the 64-bit one. I tried making mines 64 bit, but it did not seem to work.

Thank you for the help Whatever.

Please fix this problem MW:LL Developers! My rig is more than capable of running this game in dx10! hell, it can run Stalker: Call of Pripyat and that has dx11!!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:16:09 AM by boateye »

Offline Dragonlord

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +22/-4
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »
The weird textures you get are merely the game building your shaders folder/files
Those should disappear after the the first time you you have played a match, perhaps with the occasional minor glitch here and there.

If they dont go away, just post about the problem here in the forum and we will do our best to help you.
But wait until you have played a couple matches on each map first, to give the game time to build up what it needs.
Corsair HX 850W PSU
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Socket-AM3           AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Six Core, 3,3GHZ/3,7GHz Turbo
Corsair SSD Force Series™ 3, 120GB                  Western Digital Caviar® Black 2TB
Gainward GeForce GTX 560Ti 2GB PhysX "Phantom"
Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 8GB (2x4GB)
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro                     Logitech Z906 THX Certified Speaker System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Offline whatever

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-1
  • Has the wisdom of the old man of the mountain.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:09:06 PM »
i force my game to play dx9 and 32bit its fairly stable (the game will crash to desktop though.after about two to three hours.your milage may vary.) and my dx10 computer

crashes in about 20 minutes using dx 10 crysis.

happy to hear you got the game at least playable. get rid of your nomad game profile with your own in game name that you like. alot of servers kick "nomad" game

names. ;) ;D

I was a mechwarrior like you once; until i took a arrow to my mech's knee ...

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 06:10:50 PM »
for the steam 64 bit issue

You can grab the 64 bit version from here;  the server belongs to one of our regulars so it's confirmed free of any malware

http://www.cleanourseas.org/other/crysis1.2.1.Bin64.rar

All you need to do is copy the Bin64 folder to your steamapps\common\crysis folder.

taken from the Crysis 64 bit for Steam? thread

Also when ever you switch between DX9 and DX10 mode,  it's always best to delete the "Shaders" found in your My Documents\My Games\Crysis folder.  This folder will be rebuilt on next time you run crysis and will show funky neon colored shapes on map loads while the shaders are being rebuilt.  This will help ensure you don't have crashes due to texture/shader issues between dx9 and 10

Offline boateye

• Bondsman
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »
for the steam 64 bit issue

You can grab the 64 bit version from here;  the server belongs to one of our regulars so it's confirmed free of any malware

http://www.cleanourseas.org/other/crysis1.2.1.Bin64.rar

All you need to do is copy the Bin64 folder to your steamapps\common\crysis folder.

taken from the Crysis 64 bit for Steam? thread

Also when ever you switch between DX9 and DX10 mode,  it's always best to delete the "Shaders" found in your My Documents\My Games\Crysis folder.  This folder will be rebuilt on next time you run crysis and will show funky neon colored shapes on map loads while the shaders are being rebuilt.  This will help ensure you don't have crashes due to texture/shader issues between dx9 and 10

This same solution for running 64bit is on Steam's forums for Crysis. i'm getting the same issue that Hatachi is getting on the bottom of page 2. Should i resurrect the thread you posted or start another?

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:30:50 PM »
how are you running the 64 bit version?

Offline boateye

• Bondsman
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 12:54:24 AM »
how are you running the 64 bit version?

Exactly how you told me. i downloaded the file, and i put the bin64 folder into my Crysis folder in "steam\steamapps\crysis". when using the MWLL launcher i check the 64bit box. however the game never gets to the intro video. this same thing happens when i try to run Crysis by itself in 64 bit.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 06:02:12 PM »
Hmmm did you delete the shader's folder?  I'm also wondering if all the crashes have messed up your profile.  Sometimes a corrupted player profile can inhibit the game from starting.

Offline boateye

• Bondsman
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 07:59:02 PM »
i  did delete the shaders folder. When trying to run crysis in 64 bit, it crashes before the opening movie, so it doesn't even make another shaders folder.

If i try the .dll fix for bin64, i get an error saying: failed to initialize game interface.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »
I'm out of ideas :(

Offline boateye

• Bondsman
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 10:24:21 PM »
it's OK man. the game runs fine in 32-bit.  Thanks for the help!