Author Topic: Night vision and Extremity  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Brainwright

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +34/-2
  • AKA : Rotten
Night vision and Extremity
« on: August 14, 2010, 03:18:52 AM »
I managed to recently upgrade my motherboard and processor, which as allowed me to fiddle around with the settings a great deal.   Unfortunately, I found that night vision was largely useless when playing Extremity. I often couldn't distinguish mechs directly in front of me from the background.  At times, it even seemed to brighten areas at a distance better than those areas up close.

Configuration :

AMD Phenom II X4 925
Asus M4A89GTD Pro
ATI Radeon HD 4850
3 GB of RAM

Procedure :
Load up Extremity and procede to one of the satellite dishes embedded into the ground and wait for night fall.  Bring up the menu, select options, system, and then the advanced tab.  General settings field to switch all the settings to high.  Return to game and view the area in night vision.  Go back to the menu and view the area with all the settings at medium and low.

Result : At high settings, most of the visible area should be dark with few visible gradients.  You might notice it brighter at greater distances.  As you get closer to lower settings, you should notice that the satellite dish itself is much brighter than its surroundings.

It looks like shading just isn't working to well in low-light conditions.  The greater tendency is to be either completely dark or brightly lit with little in between.

I tried testing on Marshes, as that's the only map that starts in darkness.  Things were a little dark, but functional.  However, that map has more ambient light during the night cycle than Extremity.
Thanks for the view.