Author Topic: All right, I admit it: BT Universe Help!  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Serious Table

• Alphatester
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-2
  • Seriously.
All right, I admit it: BT Universe Help!
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:40:22 PM »
All right, all right.  I'll admit it.  I'm not really a Battletech Junkie.  I've really only played the PC games and MechAssault.

Now amidst all the booing and hissing, I WANT to get into the Battletech Universe.  I want to dive in head first and get lost in the awesome.  ESPECIALLY when it comes to the Inner Sphere.  No offense, Clanners, but of all the Mech games I've played, the one that rang the loudest to me, the most true, the closest to my heart, has always been MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries.  Outreach feels like home to me.

I'll be honest, I don't know where to start.  I've found Sarna.net, and I've downloaded MegaMek since I don't have the cash to try to get into CBT for real.  I want to read about storylines, learn about the Mechs, big events, how to play CBT!  I want to absorb as much of the Battletech universe that is humanly possible, to start writing in it more effectively.  Where do I go, oh mighty ones of the BattleTech?  Where should I start my epic journey to realize my full potential as one of the Inner Sphere?

And how should I ACTUALLY be playing CBT?  MegaMek feels like it'd be a good place to learn, but I've only ever played with Bots, using mechs I've always known (three to a side, duke it out that way).  How do I get that mixed arms feel?  And what's a realistic BV to set as a limit?

Any and every little bit of information is deeply appreciated.
Advocate of Versatility.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
Re: All right, I admit it: BT Universe Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
I'd say go read some novels.  That's where i went to learn more about lore.  Only read the Tech manuals to see all the cool mechs and some extra fluff.  Source book are GREAT for fluff and give a good frame work to the whole universe.

Offline Serious Table

• Alphatester
  • Recruit
  • Seriously.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:45 PM »
Novels were something I was planning on looking into, especially with a half-price books nearby.  Do you have any suggestions as far as your favorite novels?  Or key points in the BT timeline?
Advocate of Versatility.

Offline ~SJ~MausGMR

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-7
  • Oh snap...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »
A fair few people on IRC have gaming sessions on megamek on occasion, and there are some weekly RP groups that use it for combat. Just hop into the 'chat' section of these forums sometime and see if anyone's up for a game.

<Freeborn_Toad> what's a Maus?
<Razorin-Faust> It's what you get when Chuck Norris and Natasha Kerensky have a kid : Maus

The prodigal son has returned

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:49:49 PM »
All right, all right.  I'll admit it.  I'm not really a Battletech Junkie.  I've really only played the PC games and MechAssault.

Now amidst all the booing and hissing, I WANT to get into the Battletech Universe.  I want to dive in head first and get lost in the awesome.  ESPECIALLY when it comes to the Inner Sphere.  No offense, Clanners, but of all the Mech games I've played, the one that rang the loudest to me, the most true, the closest to my heart, has always been MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries.  Outreach feels like home to me.

I'll be honest, I don't know where to start.  I've found Sarna.net, and I've downloaded MegaMek since I don't have the cash to try to get into CBT for real.  I want to read about storylines, learn about the Mechs, big events, how to play CBT!  I want to absorb as much of the Battletech universe that is humanly possible, to start writing in it more effectively.  Where do I go, oh mighty ones of the BattleTech?  Where should I start my epic journey to realize my full potential as one of the Inner Sphere?

And how should I ACTUALLY be playing CBT?  MegaMek feels like it'd be a good place to learn, but I've only ever played with Bots, using mechs I've always known (three to a side, duke it out that way).  How do I get that mixed arms feel?  And what's a realistic BV to set as a limit?

Any and every little bit of information is deeply appreciated.

You can go to www.netbattletech.com and go to the Classic section of the website and there is a computer online version of the CBT board game. The league is currently re-writing the "Automation" which is the planetary resource program used when playing in the BT universe. But they may still be playing with the old "Automation" program. Just contact Dervish and tell him I sent you. If Derv isn't around then contact Devil, she can help you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:05:51 AM by Aidan »

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline MatthewPryde

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +66/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 01:26:02 AM »
From a lifetime (can prove it, baby pics with timberwolf t shirts.) BT fan, I would say that is a good start.

1) Books- Like the mercenaries? That is cool, is there a particular merc group you like? I personally like Grey's Death Legion. But find one you like and start to read their books, it is also nice because you kind of pick up their "Bias" on the world as well, which helps with RP.

2) Not Sarna- Sarna is a wiki, on top of that, it's a wiki that is the op ed of a few people, it often tints things to look food for particular factions, or is rather... sketchy in many areas. Sarna is not completely useless, just do not rely on it for absolute fact. Kind of like Wikipedia, you could have a very well thought out single article, then a crap link to the next one. Use wisely.

3)Megamek is fine, absolutely fine. If you just want to have a decent match and shoot the breeze find me or one of the other CBT nuts around here to play a round with, and ask questions. If you want to make a couple minis of "your guys" they are always really fun. I can point you in the right direction on how to get and paint them. I will put a paint tutorial up here in a little while.

4) Have fun, Battletech is a fun universe to enjoy things, if your character is a little uncannon, or you want to play a faction that died X years ago, be a remnant, do not let people rain on your parade. And always, kick ass.
Comstar: Star Colonel Matthew Pryde, Commander of the 1st Peregrine Strikers, Delta Galaxy

Offline ~SJ~ Wolf

• Penalty bench
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +148/-2
  • The HNIC of Toast is too baller for avatars.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 01:36:35 AM »
From a lifetime (can prove it, baby pics with timberwolf t shirts.) BT fan, I would say that is a good start.

1) Books- Like the mercenaries? That is cool, is there a particular merc group you like? I personally like Grey's Death Legion. But find one you like and start to read their books, it is also nice because you kind of pick up their "Bias" on the world as well, which helps with RP.

2) Not Sarna- Sarna is a wiki, on top of that, it's a wiki that is the op ed of a few people, it often tints things to look food for particular factions, or is rather... sketchy in many areas. Sarna is not completely useless, just do not rely on it for absolute fact. Kind of like Wikipedia, you could have a very well thought out single article, then a crap link to the next one. Use wisely.

3)Megamek is fine, absolutely fine. If you just want to have a decent match and shoot the breeze find me or one of the other CBT nuts around here to play a round with, and ask questions. If you want to make a couple minis of "your guys" they are always really fun. I can point you in the right direction on how to get and paint them. I will put a paint tutorial up here in a little while.

4) Have fun, Battletech is a fun universe to enjoy things, if your character is a little uncannon, or you want to play a faction that died X years ago, be a remnant, do not let people rain on your parade. And always, kick ass.

Everything single thing he said. Especially point 4.

Offline Serious Table

• Alphatester
  • Recruit
  • Seriously.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:04:23 AM »
Fantastic, this is really getting to be exciting!  I'll look at those suggestions, then, and get me into this universe properly.
Advocate of Versatility.

Offline Taemien

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-1
  • Less pew pew, More Dakka!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 06:41:51 AM »
Novels are a good start. And since you loved MW2: Mercs and the Innersphere.. you gotta read the Warrior Trilogy.

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
Make sure you read the invading Clans sourcebook so you grab that crusader clan bias first ;D

Check ebay and amazon for all of your Battletech books needs, I just bought about $200 worth of battletech stuff so its there lol.

Oh and by the way...Clan Smoke Jaguar is the best faction no matter what anyone else tells you :P

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
I'm still in love with the idea of Kai Allard Liao becoming a Jade Falcon even though it could never happen :(

Offline MatthewPryde

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +66/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
 :o
What is this I don't even?
Comstar: Star Colonel Matthew Pryde, Commander of the 1st Peregrine Strikers, Delta Galaxy

Offline ~SJ~ Wolf

• Penalty bench
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 06:18:48 PM »
:o
What is this I don't even?

It's Phelan Ward all over again, RUUUN!

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 08:52:23 PM »
^ it would SOOOOO not be like that Wolf Runt.

Kai's got a long storied history with the JF's and they've almost captured him a number of times.  When he was trapped behind JF lines on Alyina, it was the closest to happening.  (from Lost Destiny, my favorite book)  He avoided capture by JF forces and fought two elements in unarmed duels; Beat the first one but was on the road to losing the 2nd one.  Had Comstar not intervened Kai would have probably been made a bondsman.

Unlike the Runt, Kai is pure skill in every combat arena he fights in.  That's some thing every JF warrior would accept even though he was freebirth.  Not to mention every JF clansmen knows he's take out some of the best "UNITS" by himself to the point where he might have passages in the Remembrance BEFORE he came to the clans.

The demoralizing loss to the IS faction (specifically to Victor) could have changed the whole outcome of the war on many fronts.  Hell it could have accelerated Sun Tzu plans for the St. Ives Compact as well causing a large enough fracture in the Star League before Operation Bulldog and Serpent.

Offline ~SJ~ Wolf

• Penalty bench
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 09:03:10 PM »
Haha easy there RoundPeg. Don't tread to hard on my wolves. They tend to bite back. Especially against snotty royal brats.