Author Topic: Terrain Control - Key Concepts  (Read 10824 times)

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
Terrain Control - Key Concepts
« on: September 29, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »
Terrain Control - Key Concepts

What is Terrain Control?
Terrain Control (TC) is a new game mode for the MechWarrior: Living Legends total conversion modification for Crysis and Crysis: Wars.  This game mode expands upon the established Team Solaris Arena game mode and Team Tickets system by introducing a concept of territory control through the capture and possession of bases or other key installations across a map.

How does Terrain Control work?
Each team will begin with a server configured  number of starting Team Tickets.  Each capture base is weighted to decrement the opposing teams' tickets at a set rate when the number of bases owned by each team is uneven.  Base rates are weighted based on their relative strategic importance to the map.  Loss or capture of a base is displayed on the player HUD and is accompanied by an audible announcement to both sides.

The overall ticket decrement rate and starting Team Tickets may be set by a server administrator.  Suggested values will be included with the 0.4.0 release server administrator notes.

In addition to the weighted ticket decrement system, tickets will be removed from each team by asset losses and player deaths using the existing Team Ticket system rules.

The game winner is declared when one team deprives the other of Team Tickets.

Capturing a base is as simple as standing within the designated capture area.  The owning team has full access to the facilities available at the capture location, which may include a full 'Mech hangar, a limited resource hangar, a basic Buy Area, or a basic infantry spawn point.  There are other features that will be announced in due course.

If a base is currently occupied by an equal number of players from both teams, the capture process is halted until one team gains a numerical advantage.  A capture cannot be completed until all opposition has been eliminated from the capture area.

Capture bases may or may not have associated automated defenses.  Any automated defenses present at a capture base will change hands after a 90 second dormant interval.  Any base defenses that were destroyed in the process of a base capture will be respawned after a 90 second interval following the capture.  This allows a contest period over a base without automated turrets being a deciding factor.

Terrain Control will support all of the existing MWLL cvar controls and many new ones which have not yet been announced.

Terrain Control Maps
Maps for the MWLL Terrain Control mode must be created specifically for that purpose.  We have found that the majority of maps originally created for Team Solaris Arena are lacking when used within a TC capacity.  This has required some rework of those maps chosen for conversion to the new game mode.

Team Solaris Arena maps cannot be used for Terrain Control without significant revisioning.

The MWLL 0.4.0 release of Terrain Control will contain the following official maps:

TC Death Valley - a desolate moonscape with highly detailed bases for close-quarters combat and wide desolate expanses for long-distance engagements.  This map will support larger team sizes and more expansive battles suitable for 16 - 24 players.

TC Mirage - a revisioning of the popular Team Solaris Arena mode map suitable for small to medium sized team combat (8-14 players).

TC Thunder Rift - a revisioning of the subterranean TSA map introduced in the 0.3.0 release with numerous terrain revisions, performance improvements and revised battle flows suitable for Terrain Control mode with small teams (8 - 12 players)

TC Kagoshima - (provisional inclusion, pending completion) an oriental themed map set in the heart of Draconis Combine space.  This map features terraced fields, evergreen forests and hidden glades.

Upon release of 0.4.0 our Level Design team will produce an overview document detailing the necessary features and entity placement to construct community Terrain Control maps.

Addendum & Notes
The content above makes reference to "Team Solaris Arena", which is the game mode currently experienced by the public as "Solaris Arena".  The game mode naming change was announced in our last official development progress update.

Any map noted as "pending completion" may not be present in the initial 0.4.0 release of the Terrain Control game mode.  Certain details of the game mode are subject to change as is perceived necessary by the development team prior to, and post- release.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline Virt

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-7
Re: Terrain Control - Key Concepts
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »
I like the way we'll be capturing assets instead of just spawn points or flags.    Much more realistic.

Can't wait to play it!

Thanks again for introducing this new mode.
Creating Kodiak Moments since 1984.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 06:11:48 PM »
great write up and i like the fact that the base defenses have a 90 second respawn/reactivation time.  Forces the "assault" tempo of the capturing team to slow a bit just in case they rush off an a enterprising scout tries to take it back.

I like the smaller team focus on the maps.  The combination of the ticket system should make for much more strategic play.

Offline ThunderHawk819

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 06:16:47 PM »
TC_Kagoshima, eh? Can't wait to play that. It's about time we got an Asian-styled map in this game.

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:34:20 PM »
capturing base = increase team ticket...?

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 06:48:22 PM »
Will the MWLL Dev team provide documentation explaining how to convert existing community created Solaris Arena maps to Team Solaris Arena maps?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:02:22 PM by Aidan »

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline Nitro_R

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +23/-1
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 07:01:44 PM »
capturing base = increase team ticket...?

I think it means the opposing team will lose tickets at a defined rate while the defending team has the asset under control.

Offline Leeko

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +76/-4
  • Clan Jade Wolf Resident Perma-Cadet
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 07:08:48 PM »
Very nice, always love some juicy new details! Can't wait to play TC...
#mwll, where all the anuschat happens
(2:46:59 PM) Pytak: vicious anus
(2:47:09 PM) haarp: it hungers
(2:48:01 PM) Pytak: for moar

(11:38:04 AM) Merf: I can touch everything.
(11:38:07 AM) Merf: Prepare your anus
(11:38:50 AM) Merf: It is okay. I am your father, which makes it totally not creepy

Offline Wolfcat9

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +6/-0
    • Flying Spaghetti Monster
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 07:17:57 PM »

Before a base is captured by any team for the first time will any associated automated defenses be active against every team until it is finally captured for the first time? Then the automated defenses respawn after 90 seconds and defend the base against the other team?
Win10 Home 64 bit
AMD FX 9370 eight core 4.4GHz
8gig mem
GeForce GTX 560 2gig GDDR5
24" 1920x1080 native resolution

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »
Yo King, are those suggested team sizes for the TC maps mandatory? Will they be virtually unplayable in larger battles due to design?
Having only one 16-24 I hope does not mean that full servers will be stuck playing that map over and over?
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Arghy

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-4
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »
Any chance of a generator type building tied to the automated defenses? I'd hate to be forced to duke it out with those turrets every 90 seconds but i'd love to send a BA strike team in to destroy the turret control tower/generator. Why are some of those maps for smaller amounts of players? is it due to their size? could you possibly play on those maps with more players? I'd hate to be forced to play only on 1 map with 24 players but i wouldent mind some fresh maps that are over crowded.

Offline Incubus 24-7

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »
Great news, I just can't wait to test the new game mode.
keep up the great work!
Home of the iMech - just apps no guns

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 09:30:46 PM »
Will the MWLL Dev team provide documentation explaining how to convert existing community created Solaris Arena maps to Team Solaris Arena maps?

Only the map xml file has to be changed because of the renaming. Then the map simply needs to be moved into the new TSA folder. Asuming there are no absolute paths in the map everything is done then. If there are absolut paths those have to be changed from SA to TSA.
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline ThunderHawk819

• MechWarrior
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:19 PM »

Only the map xml file has to be changed because of the renaming. Then the map simply needs to be moved into the new TSA folder. Asuming there are no absolute paths in the map everything is done then. If there are absolut paths those have to be changed from SA to TSA.

What about the Free For All? Is there any news on that front?? Plus, I'd love to see some screens of Kagoshima.

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »

Thank you Ingrater. And the GameRules string value for TSA will be presented in the new map XML files included with the 0.4.0 update?

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.