Author Topic: A few rules questions  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Warhammer WHM-6R

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
A few rules questions
« on: November 26, 2010, 04:53:38 PM »
I have been playing level 1 CBT on and off for 15 years and have finally started getting the stuff for level 2. I ordered Total Warfare and TRO 3050. First TRO 3050 came but it was the wrong one. (3039, a picking order mistake so I got my money back) Now I have TRO 3050 anyways but the company I ordered TW from says it got lost in the mail or something. I have now been waiting for a month and I have tried to order it again but the quickest I am looking at is 3-4 more weeks.

My point is I am itching to play but I am short a bunch of rules. I got some things from mech generators (SSW) like the weapon ranges and damages but I am still very gray in some (I think would be) basic issues.

1 - Double heatsinks just dissipate 2 heat and function the same as single in every other way?
2 - with the weapon damages: what do 15 (DB,X), 5 (DE) or 9 (P) mean  (I'm guessing (direct ballistic,?) (direct energy) and (pulse) - but what does that mean rule wise?)
3 - how does ams work?
4 - are there differences between the clan and the IS variants of weapons?

If someone could help me with some of the answers (or pm me the pertaining rule pages - not the whole book because I want the physical book more than the pdf and otherwise I would have to buy them both) then I would be very grateful and be able to play with a lot of the mechs in the TRO 3050 until TW gets to me.

Bondsman of the Clan Jade Falcon

Offline DFDelta

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +145/-1
  • Wiki Staff
    • My Youtube page
Re: A few rules questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »
1 - Double heatsinks just dissipate 2 heat and function the same as single in every other way?

Correct, they are also more expensive in both, money and BV, and they need 3 crits for IS and 2 crits for Clan versions.

Clan weapons are generally better in all areas.
They are smaller, lighter, deal more damage, have a longer maximum range, and shorter minimum range.
On the other hand they are extremely expensive, in both money and BV
Join the MWLL wiki today, your contributions will make the wiki a better place.

In Lyran Commonwealth, Atlas scouts you.

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:48:33 PM »
I have been playing level 1 CBT on and off for 15 years and have finally started getting the stuff for level 2. I ordered Total Warfare and TRO 3050. First TRO 3050 came but it was the wrong one. (3039, a picking order mistake so I got my money back) Now I have TRO 3050 anyways but the company I ordered TW from says it got lost in the mail or something. I have now been waiting for a month and I have tried to order it again but the quickest I am looking at is 3-4 more weeks.

My point is I am itching to play but I am short a bunch of rules. I got some things from mech generators (SSW) like the weapon ranges and damages but I am still very gray in some (I think would be) basic issues.

2 - with the weapon damages: what do 15 (DB,X), 5 (DE) or 9 (P) mean  (I'm guessing (direct ballistic,?) (direct energy) and (pulse) - but what does that mean rule wise?)
3 - how does ams work?

If someone could help me with some of the answers (or pm me the pertaining rule pages - not the whole book because I want the physical book more than the pdf and otherwise I would have to buy them both) then I would be very grateful and be able to play with a lot of the mechs in the TRO 3050 until TW gets to me.
3. From the top of my head:
Old rules: Throw 1d6 (2d6 for Clan AMS). The result is how many missiles from the first incoming salvo are shot down. Subtract an equal amount of ammo.
New Rules: (not 100% sure about the details). Subtract 1 ammo per round that AMS is active. From the enemy missile roll, subtract 2 (4 for Clan AMS)
2. Where did you read that? Never heard of it.
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline Warhammer WHM-6R

• MechWarrior
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:35:15 PM »
2. Where did you read that? Never heard of it.

that is weapon info included on the mech printout sheets generated from SSW 0.6.71

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Warhammer WHM-6R

• MechWarrior
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 12:17:47 AM »
One more question is what is the difference between BV 1.0 and BV 2.0? Why was 2 made and is 1 still usable?

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 03:01:41 PM »
I'm not familiar with these new record sheets. The older ones are better.

Bv2 works better in most cases, you shouldn't use Bv1 anymore. But be aware that Bv isn't all that accurate anyway. There'S a lot of factors that account for effectiveness, such as terrain, strategy, loadouts, number of machines and luck.

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 12:38:56 AM »
Here's the Charts and tables from Total Warfare
http://www.classicbattletech.com/downloads/CAT35001_TotalWarfare_Tables.pdf

The weapons codes have no real effect rules wise they just tell you what a weapon is, a "P" will tell you that weapon has the "Pulse" effect like a pulse laser.

An "X" means that weapon will explode if hit, like a Gauss Rifle.

And so on.

Offline Warhammer WHM-6R

• MechWarrior
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 02:15:20 AM »
Thanks man!! This really helps :)

We just had a session and it was epic. A grand melee with an aggressive merc Dire Wolf pilot, a merc Atlas, a Hells Horses Timber Wolf, a Nova Cat Timber Wolf and me in a Falcon Summoner. I killed the first Timber Wolf early with a PPC to the head and after a good long session DFAed the Atlas and killed him a turn later. The other Timber Wolf had alpha striked the Dire Wolf and was shut down so the next turn I killed him. The Dire Wolf and I quit the field because suddenly it is 2 at night and RL calls :P

Does heat stack infinitely or is there a cap at 30 when you shut down? (we played with no cap which I think is more logical)

Cheers

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 11:53:08 AM »
If you exceed 30 heat you're doing it wrong ???

I'm not entirely sure of the rules regarding that myself. But there is an extended heat scale in Tac Ops that goes to 50.

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 01:03:35 AM »
You can produce 100 heat, but any thing above 30 has no effect (or 50 if you use the expanded table),  so if you only sink 20 heat a turn it will take 5 or so turns to get rid of it.