Author Topic: Targeting Computer  (Read 8429 times)

Offline =CJW= Zweistein000 (W)

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +222/-72
  • Trial of position ended; Rank: Warrior
    • Urbie Defense By (TLL)CapperDeluxe
Targeting Computer
« on: December 04, 2010, 08:39:50 AM »
I have just read about the Targeting Computer, but I still don't get it how it can improve your aim or what does it actually do.  :P

Some care to explain pls?
Vote Bill for multidimentional sex warlock 2013.

Quote from: Bin Fish link=http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/profile.php?10,12
Don't sniff anything Bill gives you and never find yourself alone with HAARP

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
Re: Targeting Computer
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 09:18:01 AM »
 TC was always vaguely described in CBT because there are no clear and unambiguous conception of how CBT weapons are targeted. TC is supposed to help mechwarrior hit designated target somehow, but how and to what end is not specified. In MW3(AFAIR it was the only MW game with TC implemented) it was done via creating a "lead indicator", that showed on the HUD the place where you need to place your reticule to hit selected target with selected ballistic weapon. Other possible implementation could include aiming assist for selected target(think console shooters' autoaim) or some sort of advanced target bracket/highlight which makes it easier to see your target in bad viewing condition, at great distance or if it is partially obscured. One more suggestion is to let TC make it converge weapons' aim at target's distance, regardless of crosshair position(see this post). All in all, I still have a lot of doubts if we need any of that in MWLL or would it be worth TC's weight, not to say I have some doubts in this being implementable at all. 

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline =CJW= Zweistein000 (W)

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +222/-72
  • Trial of position ended; Rank: Warrior
    • Urbie Defense By (TLL)CapperDeluxe
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 10:33:46 AM »
IF it ever get implemented I think the best way to function is something similar to what is written in that post - by setting range.

Ty for explaining it (+1).
Vote Bill for multidimentional sex warlock 2013.

Quote from: Bin Fish link=http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/profile.php?10,12
Don't sniff anything Bill gives you and never find yourself alone with HAARP

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 10:36:13 AM »

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."

Offline ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-1
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
I don't know about you guys but, I am an advocate for lead calculating gun sights on the AA assets that are supposed to equip a targeting computer. That way it doesn't put anything in to easy mode and still relies on player aim. It would be a lot easier to keep sustained fire on dashing aircraft.

Thoughts.
Huit prime doesn't need it. Could be very OP.
The AC5 Harasser could use one in place of the extra ammo. It takes no time to RTB in one of those.

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:40:55 PM »
TC was always vaguely described in CBT because there are no clear and unambiguous conception of how CBT weapons are targeted. TC is supposed to help mechwarrior hit designated target somehow, but how and to what end is not specified. In MW3(AFAIR it was the only MW game with TC implemented)
Assault Tech 1: BattleTech has the Targeting Computer. Normally, torso mounted weapons follow the torso, which means the torso crosshair is constantly bouncing around, making torso guns nearly useless unless you're standing still or very close to the enemy. The Targeting Computer will have the torso weapons follow the arm crosshair exactly until the torso reaches its max twist point.
"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"

Offline MatthewPryde

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +66/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:14:30 AM »
Every mech in MWLL fires as if it has a targeting computer anyway.
Comstar: Star Colonel Matthew Pryde, Commander of the 1st Peregrine Strikers, Delta Galaxy

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 05:30:35 PM »
Every mech in MWLL fires as if it has a targeting computer anyway.

You mean "no deviation from the crosshair" part? I'm not sure that's what TC means CBT. Could you elaborate your point a little?

Offline Taemien

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-1
  • Less pew pew, More Dakka!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »
A targeting computer would work like this:

Without a T-Comp all weapons would need to achieve a sort of lock on the target before being able to fire. The Targeting Computer would shorten or even eliminate this requirement of needing a lock for certain weapons.

This would remain true to BT, but would really piss some of us off if they implemented this.

Offline (TLL)Sky_walker

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +66/-1
  • Close Range Attack Forces
    • MWLL Wiki
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »
TC is a very difficult thing to do. Various ideas can com out, just look here: http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,8671.0.html - very long topic with huge amount of ideas.

What I liked a lot was that you'd see on your screen an overlay displaying status of all components on a given unit, in the way you have heath bar just over the component. It'd let you aim very precisely, without wondering which right arm on the HTAL is the right arm on the screen. ::) It'd also make targeting far far easier in brawls when there's no time to stare at HTAL graph.

Though I have no idea if that's possible to implement... my wild guess would be: No, but MWLL has a long story of making impossible things possible... ::)
MWLL Wiki Newsletter: Wiki suffers from spammers and lack of activity - change it now, jump in and contribute with something useful! :D

Proud to be C.R.A.P. inspiration # MWLL Wiki Admin # MWLL Alpha Tester # Dev Team # MWLL Defense Force Mercenary - Battlemech Barracks

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 08:29:11 AM »
What I liked a lot was that you'd see on your screen an overlay displaying status of all components on a given unit, in the way you have heath bar just over the component. It'd let you aim very precisely, without wondering which right arm on the HTAL is the right arm on the screen. ::) It'd also make targeting far far easier in brawls when there's no time to stare at HTAL graph.

I dislike that idea actually. Not only it's usefulness as "accuracy boost" is negligible, it also wouldn't looks that great at all. As for usefulness of "damage bar over components", think about that you couldn't see(or would have troubles seeing) damage indication for the components that are currently obscured by the enemy mech itself(front components when looking at mech's back for example).

Offline (TLL)Sky_walker

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +66/-1
  • Close Range Attack Forces
    • MWLL Wiki
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 10:51:22 AM »
it ain't really an issue if you only can control how to hide or show them. Besides that even if you couldn't make it - still it'd be useful as long as you'd display codenames of them (eg, bar titled CT).
As for accuracy boost - well, it'd rock for new players, not so very much to older, but still some minor benefit would be there. Hard to say really without actually checking it in game. :-\
MWLL Wiki Newsletter: Wiki suffers from spammers and lack of activity - change it now, jump in and contribute with something useful! :D

Proud to be C.R.A.P. inspiration # MWLL Wiki Admin # MWLL Alpha Tester # Dev Team # MWLL Defense Force Mercenary - Battlemech Barracks

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 12:21:15 PM »
Both in-universe and in-game, I think the TC should at least show a visual cue in the HUD for "leading" the selected target, which would be especially useful for taking down VTOLs and Aeros (or MASCing Firemoths). Probably could include some sort of adjustment to "harmonization" so that weapons on different arms will converge their fire at target's current range instead of shooting left and right past the target (which they can do if pointed straight forward).

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 04:44:14 PM »
As long as weapons are 100% accurate, there's simply no point in carrying a multi-ton taccomp. You can try giving them advantages, but they will never be worth their tonnage.

Now if they could show my how to successfully lag-shoot, that would be something :] I call it the lag computer. It calculates projectile movement and enemy movement based on your ping, accounts for the server-is-at-100%-CPU factor and shows you how much you need to miss to actually hit  ;D
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »
Both in-universe and in-game, I think the TC should at least show a visual cue in the HUD for "leading" the selected target, which would be especially useful for taking down VTOLs and Aeros (or MASCing Firemoths). Probably could include some sort of adjustment to "harmonization" so that weapons on different arms will converge their fire at target's current range instead of shooting left and right past the target (which they can do if pointed straight forward).

Yep, that could be nice, especially if weapons' convergence would be adjusted automatically according to the distance to the selected target even if you have to lead your shot.