Author Topic: Coffee House Chat with MWLL Devs.  (Read 28169 times)

Offline ~SJ~ Wolf

• Penalty bench
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +148/-2
  • The HNIC of Toast is too baller for avatars.
Coffee House Chat with MWLL Devs.
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »
How are you all doing? I realized that I know who very few of the team members are and how little most of you post. The community talks nearly endlessly about itself, so why not hear about you all for a change? So in the interest of getting to know all of you better. I and I think the community would be interested in hearing:

How you got into BT
What drew you to this mod
What aspects of the mod you work on
What mechs you personally prefer (I understand this is a loaded question)
Which aspect of the mod do you find most entertaining
A little general information about yourselves
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:05:31 PM by ~SJ~ Wolf »

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
Re: So Devs.....
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:30:23 PM »
Some history about the mod, the beginning, the original concept, the engine change, the challenges, etc would also be very interesting I think :)
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline Seraph

• Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +124/-1
    • The Living Legends Mercenary Unit
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:06:36 PM »
How you got into BT

15 years ago a friend of mine showed me this game he was playing. I got instantly hooked on MW2 Mercenaries. It felt amazing shooting those PPC balls of doom against your enemies seeing them falling apart bit by bit :D

Google .. I did a search for a mod for another game - I don't even remember which one - and stumbled across this mod. It was a life changing moment :D Finally some new Mech action! How did we all crave for this ... anyhow after I while I got invite for my admin skills and stuck around by helping wherever I could.

I am one of the Project Directors but mostly I am the system administrator taking care of the server where all our services run on. I am also the one that creates the build using scripts so you won't have to wait ages for a new release to come out *snicker*.

I love the Raven. The looks are stunning, it's fast and the NARC can be a great addition if people play it out right.
In general I lean towards faster Mechs. Not a big fan of slow ones ;)

Not sure if entertaining is the right word but I love the aspect of combined arms. That really got me hooked on MWLL because I always wanted to drive one of those Harassers myself .. not to mention that Aero always seemed to be fun when reading the books. I find it very entertaining to harass people with my weapons while dodging their attacks until the real fire support rolls in and does the rest while I hop on to distract my next enemy.

I am 29 years old, living in Germany with my wife and two kids. I spent as much free time as I can get with my family but MWLL finds its own time.
Seraph - "The Can Man"
In the heat of battle, legends are born ...

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:21:54 PM »
How you got into BT

My older brother got Battletech board game starter set around the time I was starting middle school and we played that quite a bit until probably about halfway through high school for me.  Then the Mechwarrior games started coming out pretty regular for some years though so I played Mech 2, GBL, Mech 3, then Mech 4.

Mechs  :P

The Actionmapper tool, but I also help out with the alpha testing

Shadow cat, and heavy gauss Thanny

Definitely have to agree with Seraph, the combined arms aspect helps so much to make this experience unique among all commercial Mechwarrior titles that came before it. Also it just looks so damned pretty!

I am 27 years old and work in a big software development company

Offline (TLL)Sky_walker

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +66/-1
  • Close Range Attack Forces
    • MWLL Wiki
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »
How you got into BT
Hm... MW3 that was... I plaid Earthsige 2 before it what begun my love in Mechs as such, some time later I stumbled upon MW3 demo in one of gaming magazines, since than I forgot about ES2 ;)

ModDB was a place I found it and after playing MW series games I couldn't ignore it.... was tracking this Mod for like... 1 and a half a year or so. Registered after first public release on forum and since than spam ~7 messages per day.

HUD and user interface, tests & bug finding.

You can check my Wiki profile for this - it changes quite often. I like experiment with various units to get known all aspects of game.

Combined arms in multilayer. It's first game I really play regularly online and first one that got me involved enough to join a clan unit - TLL. Playing it in coordinated way brings new meaning to combined arms doctrine, and that's what I love in it.

I work in quite large advertisement agency as a web developer (php coding - boring stuff).
MWLL Wiki Newsletter: Wiki suffers from spammers and lack of activity - change it now, jump in and contribute with something useful! :D

Proud to be C.R.A.P. inspiration # MWLL Wiki Admin # MWLL Alpha Tester # Dev Team # MWLL Defense Force Mercenary - Battlemech Barracks

Offline Flyingdebris

• Bushy B is my homeboy
  • MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +135/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 12:44:14 AM »
How you got into BT

When i was still in grade school, my uncle who was in college at the time got a video card that included mechwarrior 2 mercs in its bundle of free games, I used to play on his comp whenever i went over to my grandma's house. That was in the mid 90s,  its been downhill ever since.

That i haven't had a decent FPS mech game with locational damage in nearly a decade.

I help out ever now and then concepting stuff for cockpits and such.

Awesomes and atlases

the weapon effects

26 year old freelance starving illustrator working out of miami.  I make most of my living mostly off of sci fi and robots.
Wherever mechs are needed, I am there

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +165/-14
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 06:50:29 PM »
How you got into BT

Back in good old 1997, when i was only 7 years of age, my parents got our first computer. With it, came a copy of Mechwarrior 2. The game was made of pure awesome, all the way from the killer intro, interesting tutorial and awesome mech piloting action in the main campaign. Hell, even the menus and interface was lovingly crafted, and the mechlab
meant there was plenty to try out.

As things happen though, i forgot about the game after id played it solidly for a year or two. It wasnt until Mechwarrior 4 i properly started to get interested in the lore, which is one of the few beneficial things to come out of playing that game after how it felt like it had fallen short. I continued to play Mechwarrior 4 in the Inner Sphere Wars with the Draconis Combine, until i saw a post in about 2007 or 8 for Mechwarrior Living Legends.

Funnily enough i soon forgot about it, thinking it was vapourware. One day, after reinstalling Mechwarrior 2, i spontaneously remembered this mod and came back January this year! Better late than never.

It was after playing this mod for longer, reading up more on the lore and getting into MegaMek when my interest peaked in the Battletech universe.

How overall stunning it was. It was everything i wanted Mechwarrior 2 to look like all those years ago, even since the Timberwolf rushed to assist its fellow Summoner in the intro. The visuals, the combine arms aspect, the then planned ToA gamemode all just damn well told me i couldnt pass this up.

I work in the mapping department, creating levels for the mod. Ive recently been doing alot of detail work on Deathvalley, anything from base work (road decals) etc to setting up capture zones and modifying height and colour maps. I have also worked help rejuvenate some of the older maps for the new TC gamemode, as well as start on my own map for something else we have in store.

I also, of course, assist in the testing phases. There has been some pretty nasty bugs in the past, all requiring fixes before you guys get your hands on the beta versions!

The intensity and immersion of the firefights. This is the first Mechwarrior game that truly captures the feeling of being in battle in the 31st century, with tanks, aerospace and mechs all appearing in one game in stunning detail.

Firemoth, Summoner. The day we get these in MWLL, if we ever do, will be the day I quit real life.

On a more serious note, I love the Owens, Loki and Vulture, especially the prime despite its awful heat issues.

A little general information about yourself

I am a university student studying Computer Science (Games and Virtual Environments) at Newcastle University, England. Its damn stressful, but I cant deny that its mostly, really good fun.
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline Cujo

• Evil Polygon Wizard
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-0
    • Deviant Art Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 07:15:36 PM »
How you got into BT
I picked up MW4 because I thought big robots were awesome and was hooked ever since.

Been awhile since anything new had come out, played in NBT, was super excited to see a new game.

Started as a tester, moved to Art.

Warhammer, Madcat

legging mechs that are using JJs and in midair (they flop over like a shot duck, it's really funny)

I graduated last May with my bachelors of science in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in German and am currently a design (mechanical) engineer (I do alot of CAD work).  I love hockey, lacrosse, R/C airplanes.

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 06:55:51 AM »
How you got into BT
Battletech for Sega Genesis was the first BT game I played. After that there was MW1, Crescent Hawk Inception and MW2:GBL, which made me a full-fledged fan of MW series. Never missed a single MW game since then, with MW2:Mercs and MW3 being my favorite.

The concept of combined arms warfare. It was my dream to have a game where not only mechs but also tanks, aerospace fighters and battlearmor would all participate in a large-scale battles. MWLL is made this dream to come true.

I'm just joined the dev team so I still haven't got any particular assignment. But, as I would be a new code monkey, I think there would be a lot of C++ crunching involved. :)

Timberwolf(my all-time favorite), Summoner, Shadowcat, Warhammer.

A successful use of combined arms by a team. Assault mechs, covered by a couple of heavies and lights moving to engage enemy front lines, LRM boats providing fire support, aeros doing strafe runs on the enemy positions, friendly partisans and Huits filling the sky in AA fire and a point of BA swarming wounded enemy... That's MWLL at it's finest.

I'm 28 year old Russian software developer. Except for BT/MWLL, my other hobbies are sci-fi(books, comics, TV shows - you name it) and mountainbiking.

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline Flyingdebris

• Bushy B is my homeboy
  • MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +135/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 07:14:28 AM »
How you got into BT
Battletech for Sega Genesis was the first BT game I played.

Shiiiiiiit son, i thought i was the only person who had played that!

Inferno missles  that beheved like a hose, single fire lrms, splash damage arcing gauss rifles, pew pew slow lasers, and arrow 4s that kind of looped out of launchers like bees, and a madcat that was bigger than every other goddamn mech in the game. haha good times.
Wherever mechs are needed, I am there

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 07:32:02 AM »
How you got into BT
Battletech for Sega Genesis was the first BT game I played.

Shiiiiiiit son, i thought i was the only person who had played that!

Inferno missles  that beheved like a hose, single fire lrms, splash damage arcing gauss rifles, pew pew slow lasers, and arrow 4s that kind of looped out of launchers like bees, and a madcat that was bigger than every other goddamn mech in the game. haha good times.

yup I've played that one too, it was really freaking difficult too!

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
  • The Man
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »
How you got into BT
I was given battletech crescent hawks inception as a gift, it was newly released on pc at the time, birthday or christmas i dont remember.

Mechs mainly! ;) but also the professional presentation of the mod, excellent gameplay and graphics, that it was being made on CE2(at the time i first spotted it) was also a factor.

Level Design/Mapping - from designing, creating and testing concepts for levels to the tedious gritty level detailing jobs. Including things like terrain generation and colourmap/texture creation(using geocontrol2/photoshop/other apps), object placement, effects creation/placement, entitiy placement and setup, flowgraphing entities/effects and iterative testing to catch as many little bugs as possible before releasing to alpha testers - Editor work mainly. I also work a little in 3DMax as required, though I am by no means a modeller.

I tend to like most of the mechs, I wouldnt say I had a favourite or preferred mech, I tend to play as a brawler a fair bit and gravitate towards mechs with lower range brawling weapons. If I had to pick one, it'd be a Bushwacker A.

Piloting mechs mostly - never played a game that captured the feeling of being in a mech so well as MWLL does. I also enjoy the combined arms aspect of the mod, the different asset types give it a character all its own on the btech computer game scene imo.

33yrs old, Single father. I live in Brisbane, Australia and work usually in IT as a tech fixing pc's and their peripherals. Currently not working fulltime. My hobbies besides Battletech include Programming(c/cpp - hobby games AI stuff mainly, navmesh & pathfinding, behaviour trees, fuzzy logic, neural nets, fsm's etc), PC Gaming and other nerdy stuff :P
"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment that which they cannot anticipate"
- Attributed to Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Offline shadowkiller

• Lead Level Designer
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +38/-0
  • Particle Guru
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 09:50:50 AM »
How you got into BT
I first played MW2 on my cousins computer. Was instantly hooked after that. The customization was what kept me hooked.

I randomly stumbled across this mod when i was looking for crysis mods. I couldn't believe another mechwarrior game was being made, and on CE2 no less. Was a no brainer for me and i instantly signed up.

I Do a lot of things actually. I'm mainly a mapper however i also made most of the particle effects in the game. I also do 2d art such as map textures, animated textures, sprites/animated sprites, (for particles) skybox textures and some XML stuff. I love to push the boundaries of what is considered possible in a game engine. Especially in terms of visual things. (rotating skybox on extremity for example)

I don't really have a preference yet. Probably the madcat, only because it looks so cool and is the iconic mech of BT.

I actually prefer to work on the mod then play it. I love seeing my creations come to life. The random compliments i get for various things make it all worth while. Its also fun to stomp people with things that i made myself.

My name is Caleb, I'm 23 and live in BC Canada. I'm currently working full time and on my spare time I'm usually working on the mod. I got into the modding scene around 2002 and have learned a lot. I eventually want to get into the industry and would love to do this for a living.  I love to build/fix things and am always taking random stuff apart just to see how it works or to enhance it somehow. I also love playing airsoft, nothing like crawling through the under brush in the forest on your chest with bbs whizzing by your head at 400fps. ;D

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Angry coffee table flip attack!

Offline CHH Aurailius

• Technical Designer
  • MWLL Developer
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 10:07:25 AM »
How you got into BT
I played MW2 on my old comp when i was younger as well, enjoyed the customization as well.

Not what, who: Shadowkiller.

I work with LUA and XML stuff, particularly the weapons and vehicles.

My favorite mech is probably the Novacat, however there are vehicles i like more then it (a certian infamous clan artillery piece).

I like giving people the means with wich to kill others, (and themselves).

I'm from the same area as Shadowkiller, and i know him in this game we like to call real life. 

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 11:20:16 AM »
How you got into BT
I played MW2 when I was 13 which I bought by accident in a game box. It was really fun back then, so I started playing MWLL when it came out. I then really good into BT reading the books etc.

A friend of mine was a former Lua Coder on the team and pointed me out the mod. First I joined in as a player. I always thought about contributing to the mod, but was not self confident enough to write a application. When I got into a MWLL Clan (Assets Incorporated) the clan leader hat the oppinion that my skills were good enough and talked me into doing a application. Thats how I got into the mod team.

As I'm the current lead coder I'm kind of working on every part of the code that requires fixing or extension. But mainly I work on the C++ and Lua game mode code. For example I wrote the main logic for TC and our 2 other new gamemodes. I also put a lot of work into debugging code which will hopefully allow us to track down bugs on the user side more easily.

I usually prefer close range brawler mechs and find myself in balance discussions very often arguing to make brawler weapons stronger.
My favorite mech is the Osiris B. I really like it in the late game because it often gets underestimated by the enemy.

As a coder I obviously like, when I write code that does what it should do. As a player I really like blasting LRM boats with brawlers.

I'm from Germany. I'm 22 years old and currently studying Informatics. When I'm not working on MWLL I'm creating 3d realtime graphics. Currently I'm working on implementing Crytek's "Cascaded Light Propagation Volumes" algorithm.

Some history about the mod, the beginning, the original concept, the engine change, the challenges, etc.
Port from Crysis to Wars
When the port was code wise finished we thought we only had 1 major bug in the code that prevents us from releasing. When we fixed that bug, a dozen more poped up. Fixing those took quite some time, thats because the wars release is that much delayed.

The Challanges
There is litarry no support from crytek on this. The mod sdk is very minor, we don't have access to a lot of parts of CryEngine 2. For example we can not create new post processing effects. (Like a termal vision). We don't have access to the vehicle code, which made it very hard to allow mechs to walk in the first place. Toth could write books about that. We do not have debugging symbols for cryengine. That means when there is a asset crash we do not have any clue which asset or even why it crashes. We can only track down crashes that happen because of our code, and currently thats only a small fraction of all crashes.
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.