Author Topic: Coffee House Chat with MWLL Devs.  (Read 27252 times)

Offline ~SJ~ Riker

• Penalty bench
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +16/-0
Re: So Devs.....
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 05:25:40 PM »
I am an old school geek that started off dabbling in Gates and Jobs first attempts at computers in the early 80's. Did you know that MS had a Basic programming cartridge they offered for TI's home computers long before DOS? My first taste of basic  . . .

Lol... Hey Death.. My first comp was a 99 and the first bit of code I ever wrote was "recorded" on a 120min cassette tape. I found it on a holiday visit to my rents about 6 years ago. Didn't have any clue what it was at first until I dug out an old cassette player and popped it in. I guess you could say it was sorta music to my ears... LOL...
Oh and my last job had me still writing code in OS2. Wanna share horror stories... =)

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 05:27:28 PM »
This thread is full of win!  I love it plus a lot of the little tid bits about new stuff sprinkled through out

fall of the han dynasty during the three kingdoms era. 180-230ish A.D. Going to have the player play the part of Liu Bei

Liu Bei is FAIL, Cao Cao is the man!

Offline [MPB]OM_Sannyasi

• Senior Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-1
  • Settin standards for paid MW:O employees since 08'
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 05:48:03 PM »
This thread is full of win!  I love it plus a lot of the little tid bits about new stuff sprinkled through out

fall of the han dynasty during the three kingdoms era. 180-230ish A.D. Going to have the player play the part of Liu Bei

Liu Bei is FAIL, Cao Cao is the man!

heh- didn't realize there were so many people that knew much about this part of chinese history.  I R A CAO CAO HATER! he was always so mean to me in all the romance of the three kingdoms games =/. I can't wait to get this beast under way :)

I make people earn their checks ;)

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 06:03:28 PM »
very interesting thread...explains more than you all realize ::)

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline CHH Deathshade

• Senior Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • "Helpful Atlas"
    • MW:LL
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 06:12:06 PM »
I am an old school geek that started off dabbling in Gates and Jobs first attempts at computers in the early 80's. Did you know that MS had a Basic programming cartridge they offered for TI's home computers long before DOS? My first taste of basic  . . .

Lol... Hey Death.. My first comp was a 99 and the first bit of code I ever wrote was "recorded" on a 120min cassette tape. I found it on a holiday visit to my rents about 6 years ago. Didn't have any clue what it was at first until I dug out an old cassette player and popped it in. I guess you could say it was sorta music to my ears... LOL...
Oh and my last job had me still writing code in OS2. Wanna share horror stories... =)

Yep. My first computer too. TI 99/4A. I wrote a program that allowed me to draw via x and y cooridinates and saved the image to the cassette player.  The casette was pretty cool way of storing my own image format.
Thankfully my first real OS's were Commodore 64/128 and then DOS with windows 3.11. Can you believe I still got print outs of old code I did on the Commodore 128 for a High School Science Project?  Remember Gosubs, Goto's, Peeks and Pokes for you commodore guys

I never got a chance to delve into OS2. thank goodness ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:19:43 PM by CHH Deathshade »

Offline tigerija

• Apprentice Dev
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 08:52:17 PM »
This is great read guyz. I rarely see something like this. It gives some picture you know. Picture of bunch of different people working together.

Something like that should go into "About" page into some article. I think it would draw attention of lots of people.
Usually companies(I know you are indie mod dev) arent exposing their developers. Coz its not good for them. They should remain just a number for them, so they cant become famouse, and with that they can recycle and exchange them. This is what you know of developer or publisher.
This article shows that there is some personal passion in all that, and gives meaning to every single person that is developing this mod. So here you got a team.

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 09:06:56 PM »
My questions remained more or less unanswered. Only Ingrater did.
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline ~SJ~ Riker

• Penalty bench
  • MechWarrior
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 04:05:21 AM »

Meh, it basically just need s a "D" in front of it. I need to find another career in that area, but my true love is just building something up from machine code. When your specialization is automation (that's robotics for most of you) you get use to starting from scratch. I've had to memorize some of the higher languages in order keep up with the youngins, but I generally just find myself in tag hell after a while.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 04:18:32 AM »

Meh, it basically just need s a "D" in front of it. I need to find another career in that area, but my true love is just building something up from machine code. When your specialization is automation (that's robotics for most of you) you get use to starting from scratch. I've had to memorize some of the higher languages in order keep up with the youngins, but I generally just find myself in tag hell after a while.

You ever see this guy Jaime Mertzell or something or other?  He has a YouTube channel, look for the GRP or Giant Robot Project.  He's goofy, but that kinda makes his videos entertaining.   

So anyways, this guy lives in the boonies in his hand built Geodesic dome structure, has a small aircraft hanger that he hauled out there for his workshop,  i think the guy is brilliant in a lot of ways.  He's building a six legged "giant" robot out of junk and random scavanged materials, while documenting it on YouTube.

Really sorry to be so off topic, this is a good thread, but watching some of this guys videos might help some peeps understand how difficult and drawn out the creative process can be.  Plus we all love robots here, right? ;) :P  Thought some folks 'round here might get a kick out of him and what he's doing.  heck i need to check out his progress, been quite a bit.  Betcha he's got that thing walking!!  maybe not though, ppl gotta have a life. ;D

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline dCK-Ad_Hominem

• Lance Captain
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 05:48:44 PM »
I have a girlfriend who actually knows that an "CERPPC" is.

Now that's just bragging :P.

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »
I have a girlfriend who actually knows that an "CERPPC" is.

Now that's just bragging :P.

Oh yeah, I have educated my entire family, I can have discussions with my mum on the subject of Battletech, it took years but I have trained them well...seriously

...though it would be lovely to have a girlfriend that knew a CERPPC from an AC5

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline ߧ Trooper_Thorn

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-7
  • Galaxy Commander, Iota Galaxy, Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 02:16:42 PM »
OK my roll for old school P.C.'s, my first was a Hyundai Super 16 TE way before 286, 386, 486 etc. Mostly text games with exception of CH inception. Most fun text based game, you played as Israeli prime minister, you had to buy arms from US with foreign aid from US to defend Israel. If you properly played it you would Nuke the surrounding nations (For self defense of course) and they would all end up as UN protectorates with out arms and you would retire as a national and historical hero of Israel. LOL :P Yea so I am not a DEV but I thought I would throw this in. as for Deathshade being old, I got you by 11 years!  ;D OH yea I almost forgot, I was on subs in late 70's early 80's my roommate in offcrew barracks was a Firecontrol Technician Ballistic missile. (the guys who program the big birds to hit their targets) he and I (mostly he lol) were working on a sub game that when you came up for a sat pass and got the go code you would have to spin up and target all your missiles and then launch. if it was done right you got your assigned target if not you would hit an orphanage and little baby bodies would fly all over the screen with a mushroom cloud in the background and the words BABY Killer would flash on the screen. I was great for ideas he did the coding. LOL 8)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:25:18 PM by ߧ Trooper_Thorn »

Νέμεσις
"Let our enemies learn the true meaning of Nemesis!"

Offline _VX_01

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 02:44:33 PM »
And Trooper, I got you by 11 years. Not a code-monkey though 8)

Offline CHH Deathshade

• Senior Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • "Helpful Atlas"
    • MW:LL
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2010, 04:51:40 PM »
Hey Trooper! :) Your only as old as you feel and what is a x286. hah. j/k. Glad to have my old CBS clan with MWLL. Can't wait til we go planetary

Offline ߧ Trooper_Thorn

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-7
  • Galaxy Commander, Iota Galaxy, Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2010, 09:37:48 PM »
And Trooper, I got you by 11 years. Not a code-monkey though 8)

So your 63 eh? ok, I am the second oldest on CBS Grem has me by almost a year. I think we have only 3 team mates under 35 most of us are old farts.

Νέμεσις
"Let our enemies learn the true meaning of Nemesis!"