Author Topic: Lasers have recoil compensators.  (Read 4440 times)

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline -SM-SUCKER

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +82/-0
Re: Lasers have recoil compensators.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 12:21:46 PM »
But what about the TurboLasers from StarWars. They would need some recoil compensators. Must be the heavy light they emit....

Star wars' turbolasers are not exactly "lasers", but rather an umbrella term for all heavy, usually capital ship-mounted, energy cannons. A lot of them are particle beam weapons(not unlike battletech PPCs) so having a recoil compensator is not unusual for them.
I did not expect a nerd explanation for this as I thought it was just utter BS, especially because Star Wars light seems to travel rather slow. Thank you for clarification.

I'm still happy the MW series started at some point to treat lasers like they are should be, as a beam of light instead of some glowing projectile.

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
But what about the TurboLasers from StarWars. They would need some recoil compensators. Must be the heavy light they emit....

Star wars' turbolasers are not exactly "lasers", but rather an umbrella term for all heavy, usually capital ship-mounted, energy cannons. A lot of them are particle beam weapons(not unlike battletech PPCs) so having a recoil compensator is not unusual for them.
I did not expect a nerd explanation for this as I thought it was just utter BS, especially because Star Wars light seems to travel rather slow. Thank you for clarification.

I'm still happy the MW series started at some point to treat lasers like they are should be, as a beam of light instead of some glowing projectile.

Yeah, I know that SW is full of retcons, pseudoscience and things, pulled out of Old Georgy's arse, but I love SW too much to mind that things. It requires something really inane and unaffected by rule of cool(like Jar Jar) to affect my suspension of disbelief.

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 05:36:06 PM »
man SW is all about the stupid force users for the most part.  It doesn't matter how powerful a "normal" person becomes in politics, military influence.  Some BS walking ex machina will walk in, wave their hand, and it's all gone.  If they just so happen to be one of the races that's immune to the force , then said force user will find another person they can magic hand wave to raise and army to fight said immune person.

And guess what, "IT'S NOT FAITH IT'S GENETICS!" and really stupid genetics at that, don't even want to get in it.

*secretly is completely pissed that the bad ass crimson guard don't do ANYTHING remotely cool in ANY OF THE BOOKS OR MOVIES, aside from one non canon comic series*

Offline shadowkiller

• Lead Level Designer
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +38/-0
  • Particle Guru
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 11:52:09 PM »
I agree that starwars lasers are pretty dumb, im glad we decided not to go that route.

As for the recoil compinsators, thats for the PPC. In Btech the ppcs had recoil due to the superheavy/charged particles. I would like to see it put in MWLL eventually. Really adds that extra feeling of power to the weapon.

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Angry coffee table flip attack!

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2010, 12:03:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure the Star Wars weapons are called blasters, not lasers

Link http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blaster

It's basically a PPC ;)

Offline shyrkonflex

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »
Thats also why they have an ammo count.
Not to defend some of the stupid SW technology though ...

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 05:27:14 PM »
well, lasers would have ammo counts too...

Unless batteries recharge instantly in the fururepastfarawaywherepeoplearesomehowaround

Offline shyrkonflex

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 12:59:28 PM »
Nah, in Battletech they get powered up by the mechs fusion reactor giving the laser endless ammo but obviously a recharging time.
Thats actually quite logical, altough you wouldn't be able to fire "forever" because the laser's housing would eventually take damage by the repepetive shooting without being repaired.