Author Topic: MechWarrior: Living Legends - Terrain Control Tutorial for Mappers  (Read 8750 times)

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant

We are pleased to present the first resource guide to assist community mappers with the creation of Terrain Control maps for the MechWarrior: Living Legends Terrain Control game mode.  This guide has been authored by our Level Designer (Wilson) and he has done an amazing job putting a rather complex set of concepts into a coherent single package.

Quote from: (Wilson)
We are pleased to announce the completion and release of the initial version of a Terrain Control Community Level Design guide. This document will explain all of the various aspects that are involved in setting up a Terrain Control level for MechWarrior: Living Legends, from the basic entities that are required and used, through to various optional techniques that can be employed to add to visual immersion and flavour.

This document has been compiled and written by the Mechwarrior: Living Legends Level Design Team as an official suppliment for our community level designers. It should be considered fluid, as it will be continously updated and revised as changes are made to the Mechwarrior: Living Legends mod.

Please note that this guide is intended for mappers with a good working knowledge of the Crysis Sandbox2 editor and it is not intended for beginners.  The document assumes that the reader has already installed Sandbox2 and has loaded MWLL into their working environment.

This guide will be added to the Community Wiki by the team at our earliest convenience using high-resolution imagery assets.

Some general notes that are not covered in the guide:

The MWLL team recommends that maps be authored with the Crysis version of the Sandbox2 editor.  Use of the Wars version Sandbox2 edit will result in maps that are not backwards compatible with standard Crysis clients.

This guide is intended for mappers to use as a reference; the MWLL team will do its best to address specific questions if difficulties arise, but the teams' primary focus will be on continued project development, not community mapper support.

The MWLL team policy concerning community generated maps has not changed.  Any maps found to be in direct conflict with project goals may be subject to exclusion at the teams discretion.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline KorJax

• Level Design (Reader of Stickies)
  • MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-2
  • Memento Mori
Re: MechWarrior: Living Legends - Terrain Control Tutorial for Mappers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:02:52 PM »
Yay! Will be useful.

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 09:12:36 PM »
Thanks so much to (Wilson) and the MWLL Devs for their support.

Cheers,  :D

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline Salvatoris

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 05:23:51 AM »
Thanks a lot for this guys.  I was taking all the prefabs apart trying to figure out the TC setup... This will make finishing the TC conversion on Urban Jungle a lot faster. :)

edit... we need this mirrored and stickied in the community content folder.  :)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 03:15:23 AM »
Not a mapper but a map appreciator.  I really hope some of those community folks we had early on come out to play and take advantage of the new tools and opportunities that are available.  The player base awaits.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 03:58:29 AM »
Not a mapper but a map appreciator.  I really hope some of those community folks we had early on come out to play and take advantage of the new tools and opportunities that are available.  The player base awaits.

This mapper awaits the MWLL Dev team to enable the autodownload feature.

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 04:12:10 AM »
This mapper awaits the MWLL Dev team to enable the autodownload feature.

This moderator awaits Aidan to submit new maps for the MWLL community :o

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 05:27:20 AM »
And so we wait.

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 12:25:51 PM »
*shrugs* the long wait :-X

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +165/-14
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 01:55:40 AM »
Nice Job Wilson.

Hopefully will encourage people like azov to keep up the good work, cant wait to see what we get on the autodownloader once its ready.
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:45:01 PM »
Move this to community created content with sticky?
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Hartsblade}12th VR{

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 04:00:37 PM »
Is there a beginners guide that can get stickied too?

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 04:58:07 PM »
The closest thing it the map builder's pub crawl and it's like 10 pages of stuff to sift through to find the nuggets.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 07:07:39 AM »
The closest thing it the map builder's pub crawl and it's like 10 pages of stuff to sift through to find the nuggets.

Do I have to say this again?  Crymod wiki, this is Crysis afterall, and most things still apply.  Not extremely hard really, once you get the less obvious things figured out. :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Hartsblade}12th VR{

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »

Thanks Boss!

Do I have to say this again?  Crymod wiki, this is Crysis afterall, and most things still apply.  Not extremely hard really, once you get the less obvious things figured out. :)