Author Topic: Guide to Elemental/BA  (Read 23366 times)

Offline CHH Siege

• Lead Texture Artist
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +44/-0
  • Inveniemus Viam Aut Faciemus
    • Clan Hell's Horses: Gamma Galaxy Reborn
Re: Guide to Elemental/BA
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 01:03:44 AM »
<hubris>
Pro Tip:

-When in BA, avoid (CHHs/MWLL)Siege at all costs, at all times (unless I am also in BA, which is fair game). If  there aren't at least 4 of you and I am also alone, you WILL die. ESPECIALLY if I have a Partisan or Huit Prime, or a Mk II Echo, nothing can save you but terrain and retreat, and terrain will only help for just so long.

(I cut my teeth in the alpha killing a laggy-ass KitLighting in BA trying to camp my spawn. If I can kill Kit at range, I can kill any BA, with pretty much any weapon.)
</hubris>

But seriously, I and other players pick load-outs based on the fact we're liable to encounter BA. Make sure you keep to cover, work with friendly mechs or vehicles, learn to recognize the BA-killer variants, and in general recognize that BA has its own unique role. BA demands a unique play style in many ways, especially within the scope of our own game, and knowing how to pick your battles and evade the wrong enemy will be very key to your success (or failure).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:30:02 AM by CHH Siege »

Proud designer of the Mk II E 'Siege Engine' and the 'Perseus'...
Lo-Wang say, "Animated .gif is worth one mega-word."

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 04:21:22 AM »
Tip:  Never assume any vehicles weapon loadout is not effective against you, as a BA.  ATMs are the only thing that won't kill BA, and I'm not even sure if that's the case. :D

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »
Also try to avoid or bypass any assets with BHP/BAP....they will mark you out like nothing and then those pesky PPCs and ACs will be brought to bear against you ;===)

Partisan Prime XP FTW xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-5
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »
ATMs are the only thing that won't kill BA, and I'm not even sure if that's the case. :D

Oh they will, but only at >150m ;)

Offline zombat

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 08:20:34 PM »
How to mpPPC-scoot like a pro:
1. Learn your terrain, this is very important for the next step. At the very least try to remember the gradients of the next 200m in front of you
2. Turn 180 degress to the direction you wish to go
3. Starting sprinting backwards with shift-s
4. Whilst still sprinting short-tap your jumpjets just enough to keep you between 5-10ft from the ground. This is where knowledge of the terrain comes in handy.
5. At the apex of your last boost fire your PPC with a slight (about 10 degrees) minus angle.

Simples!

Also don't use the Bear Auto Cannon, despite having a fierce name it is by far the most useless peice of crap a BA can carry

And when stood on top of a mech keep looking around between shots to make sure your ride isn't driving you to an unfriendly turret or a buddy of his.
If he is drop a C8 nade into the damaged section and bail out

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 06:16:35 AM »
 A lot of excellent BA tips in this thread, +karma for every BA pro!

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +85/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Also: Get to know your Weapons.
The mPPC has an INCREDIBLE reach!
You can more or less safely snipe at 500 to 650m, if you can see that far.
I just wish the BA's moved a bit faster on the ground or got a bigger sprinting modifier . .
It takes waayy too loong to get to the interesting places in most maps from the hangar <.<
Yes, i know that that's what APC's are there for. But don't tell me you don't make it a point to kill every last single one of them, as soon as you find them.
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline ^sPikE-

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 08:03:44 PM »
Also: Get to know your Weapons.
The mPPC has an INCREDIBLE reach!
You can more or less safely snipe at 500 to 650m, if you can see that far.
I just wish the BA's moved a bit faster on the ground or got a bigger sprinting modifier . .
It takes waayy too loong to get to the interesting places in most maps from the hangar <.<
Yes, i know that that's what APC's are there for. But don't tell me you don't make it a point to kill every last single one of them, as soon as you find them.

hence the need for epic APC placement :) most of mine get deployed in under 5 mins and stay ingame until the end.

i really like how this thread turned out, great work guys.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 08:53:24 PM »
Mine allways get found, even if i do go around on the outside with radar off and place it outside of the main advancement routes <.<
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Squibby

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +54/-0
  • Hanger to core breach in 30 seconds...
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
They're like BA nests, you must exterminate them with fire :D,

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 09:45:10 PM »
Which is exactly what happens.
Mech with flamethrowers keeps flaming it untill it is gone, and any ba spawning there in the mean time is immediately immolated and dead again of course <.<
Win7Ultimate64

Offline GB-72AT Talon

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
  • Don't quote me on this.....
    • GB72nd Assault Trinary
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 06:46:30 AM »
Attempting to hitch a ride on top of a tank or mech even can kill you quickly. 

No you cannot stand on my Partisan AC5 turret and stay alive.....you will die.

Grenades are broken for the most part, I don't use them at all, ever.  Waste of time.

The only loadout I use is mPPC + MicroHeavyLaser, its brutal. 

On dark maps or in the dark remember that your mPPC and face shield glows in the dark like a lighter at a Bon Jovi concert.....just because its dark doesn't mean they can't see you.  Actually I am known for sniping BA at 650meters on Thunder Rift using the mPPC.  I see them in the dark by their visor/weapon glow.

You cannot shut down battle armor, so once you are in close range of enemy mechs they know where you are.

Battle Armor armor heals over time, if your indicator is red, find cover and wait until it turns green again. 

Sure it felt different but so did my wife after the kids were born. A little loose but it still gets me off every time. -- Suspect

Offline Taemien

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-1
  • Less pew pew, More Dakka!
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 06:48:30 AM »
Tip:  Never assume any vehicles weapon loadout is not effective against you, as a BA.  ATMs are the only thing that won't kill BA, and I'm not even sure if that's the case. :D

ATMs work, from a Sulla even  8)

Offline Blu_Haze

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +9/-0
  • Rawr
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 07:46:31 AM »
If you're playing as a BA on any Terrain Control map, learn which bases have automated defenses, and stay far far away from them. The laser turrets will snipe you dead in 1-2 hits from 3 zones away.

When you eventually run into a demolisher, make a little "cha-ching" sound and then quickly hop up on top of his turret when he stops. Unlike the partisan, you won't die when he starts moving, and he'll be completely helpless against you. Crouch down up there and start shearing away his side armor with the HML until it pops. Most demo pilots won't have any idea what's going on, or that they're even taking major damage until it's too late, but keep an eye out in case he wises up and decides to bail.

Learn to use your jump jets while still up in the air. Most people instinctively think that their JJs only allow them to travel vertically, but they're actually multi-directional. When you're fighting against someone who knows you're there and is actively trying to kill you, holding down a movement key and using your jets will send you suddenly in that direction. For example, if you hold down A and tap the spacebar, it'll make you jet to the left. Holding D will do the same thing to the right. This allows you to remain unpredictable and helps you to dodge enemy fire.

As others have said, the mPPC has a knockback effect when you fire it. You can use this to your advantage though, with two different ways. One is to fire it in the direction opposite of where you want to move, in order to help you dodge enemy fire, similar to using your jumpjets mentioned above. Another is to help keep you aloft for longer, without as much of a predictable apex at the height of your jump. For example, when fighting an enemy mech at close range, it's often useful to jump directly above him, look down, and fire your mPPC straight down. This will not only make your movements less predictable, but it will also keep you in the air above him for longer, giving you an opportunity to switch to the Heavy Micro Laser for additional damage.

If you're having difficulty fighting other BA, give the mPPC a try. It will kill any enemy Battle Armor with one shot if it's a direct hit, and even if you don't hit them directly it still has considerable splash damage. The trick to using this effectively is to predict your enemies movements, and anticipate where you believe they will land on the ground. Most inexperienced BA will use up their entire jumpjet supply, leaving them very vulnerable for a few seconds after they land. This gives you the perfect opportunity to quickly kill them with your mPPC. When you get more experienced with using this weapon, you can have some fun with trying to pop enemy BA while they're still in mid-air with it.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »
Did we mention that if you crouch as a BA  your regeneration increases?  DO IT!!!!!

Grenades do work but are very situational.

- C8 -
DO NOT try to throw them on moving targets, most of the time they won't stick. 
DO throw them at stationary targets like missile boats, they will stick most of the time.  What I like to do is throw them on the back and start plinking away at the rear armor with my other weapons.  If the boat if not focused on you, should be able to do moderate damage to the back which is enough for a single C8 to punch through the rest of the back armor on lights (I've killed many a cougar this way)

- Inferno -
DO NOT try to use these on mechs or vehicles, they don't put out enough heat for a shut down and are easily combated with coolant
DO use them against other BA's great for clearing buildings or  when thrown in the predicted path of the BA on the ground.  Has a HUGE explosion radius that can very useful.

- NARC -
Again, DO NOT throw at moving targets
DO throw at stationary targets BUT remember to let your teammates know a NARC is up.
*Highly situational and not recommended in Pub games*

One more BA tip on TC.  The new sentries will NOT shoot at BA's unless you come within 250m.  What does this mean?  Position yourself outside of that range and use your mPPC to take out the turret.  It takes 2-3 mPPC shots to take them out.