Author Topic: Getting ping to show in server list  (Read 9223 times)

Offline ratbuddy

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +76/-1
Re: Getting ping to show in server list
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 03:18:53 PM »
Has anyone tried this with no router at all, just direct to cable modem?

Offline dCK-Apriori

• MWLL Developer
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +6/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »
By simple guess I'd say you need to deactivate ICMP filtering on your router at least for ICMP-REPLY, ICMP-ECHO-REQUEST and several other message types (don't recall of all them). Usually your router firewall distinguishes between TCP/UDP and ICMP protocols (at least).  The simplest solution is to allow all incoming ICMP traffic to your router.

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 09:18:40 PM »
Some Game Service Providers (GSP) may decide in the design of their network infrastructure to not allow ICMP traffic.

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline ratbuddy

• Star Colonel
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 10:45:50 PM »
I've never seen a pro host do this, only home hosted servers.

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 11:12:34 PM »

Sounds to me like you have not worked in large data centers very much. Every heard of Ping Flooding?

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline ratbuddy

• Star Colonel
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 12:50:05 AM »

Sounds to me like you have not worked in large data centers very much. Every heard of Ping Flooding?

What I'm saying is I've never seen a pro hosted game server not show a ping.

Offline Mackie

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 07:40:08 AM »
Ive run up a new server and having the same problem of server ping being displayed as N/A.  I have forwarded and allowed through firewall the following ports without luck

TCP

UDP

Some of these are related to gamespy arcade.  Others are mentioned as required for Crysis Wars in particular.

Bit frustrated but will continue to hunt... if i find out whats missing i will post back but would greately appreciate if anyone knows what port is needed.

Cheers

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
This has nothing to do with port forwarding. Wars only needs 64100 on UDP.
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline Mackie

• Bondsman
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 12:11:10 PM »
This has nothing to do with port forwarding. Wars only needs 64100 on UDP.

Hmmm interestingly thats the first ive heard UDP 64100.  Not seen it mentioned anywhere else, and dont have it NAT'ed but getting people connecting fine.  I might add it in and see if it helps...  :P

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 12:58:26 PM »
It usually works fine without any forwarding because the Gamespay master servers handle the connection. But officially, the game port is 64100 by default (for Wars ;))
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »
Ports are a construct and implemented through memory mapped I/O used by some protocols, such as TCP/UDP, to maintain a persistent connection between computers. ICMP traffic or Ping traffic, however, is session-less. There are no ports one can allow to permit ICMP echo requests.

Most computers will, by default, automatically respond to ICMP echo request (pings). If you can't ping a host machine, it is likely that it is behind a router of some sort. In that case, you must log into the router and explicitly configure it to respond to ICMP echo requests on its WAN port. But doing so will decrease the security profile of your system. Many hackers begin the process of Internet hacking  by using a port scan. Typically this is done with an ICMP or Ping request. If they find an ICMP response, they will begin to probe deeper.

The subject is admittedly confusing since the ping program on most computers acts like any other network application, but communicates in a completely different way.

Offline Mackie

• Bondsman
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »
Great explaination around echo requests.  I did ensure that my WAN was responding to pings, but started to wonder when saw the list of ports for gamespy :

6667 (IRC)
3783 (Voice Chat Port)
27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
28900 (Master Server List Request)
29900 (GP Connection Manager)
29901 (GP Search Manager)
13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
6515 (Dplay UDP)
6500 (Query Port)

The 13139 "custom UDP Pings made me wonder if there was another port that needed to be opened/NAT'ed to get the server ping displayed in the server browser.  Being that there can be a number of hops between the Public IP and the actual machine running the instance of the dedicated server, I thought they may be doing something else to determin latency other than pinging the WAN IP.

Offline Mackie

• Bondsman
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »
OK... i have figured this out.  Sorry for those that may find this elementry.  But it was a lot of trial and error (and google'ing) to find out what was going on.  This is for the other guys who have also posted here with this problem.

I tried port forwards as stated above, and also configured a 1:1 NAT in an effort to get the ping showing in game browser.  I eventually began to believe that it was NAT that was causing the problem, and configured my linux firewall with a transparent bridged filter.  This meant that i could assign one of my public IP addresses to the NIC on the server.  So when the server starts up and lists its IP it is a public IP and not an LAN one....eg 203.xxx.xxx.xxx and not 192.xxx.xxx.xxx.

If you dont have a public IP on the NIC of the server that is running the game then the ping with apear as N/A in the game browser.  I have fixed our server and it is displaying fine now.  Hope someone else finds this helpful.

Cheers
=TOG=Macross

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 05:46:13 PM »
OK... i have figured this out.  Sorry for those that may find this elementry.  But it was a lot of trial and error (and google'ing) to find out what was going on.  This is for the other guys who have also posted here with this problem.

I tried port forwards as stated above, and also configured a 1:1 NAT in an effort to get the ping showing in game browser.  I eventually began to believe that it was NAT that was causing the problem, and configured my linux firewall with a transparent bridged filter.  This meant that i could assign one of my public IP addresses to the NIC on the server.  So when the server starts up and lists its IP it is a public IP and not an LAN one....eg 203.xxx.xxx.xxx and not 192.xxx.xxx.xxx.

If you dont have a public IP on the NIC of the server that is running the game then the ping with apear as N/A in the game browser.  I have fixed our server and it is displaying fine now.  Hope someone else finds this helpful.

Cheers
=TOG=Macross

If this works, then major props to you from CJW.

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »

Cheers
=TOG=Macross

I do understand how this would work but you do understand you have relaxed the security profile of your system, don't you? If you do not mind this, then all is well from your point of view. Best of luck.  :)