Author Topic: A Generalized BattleTech Universe Primer?  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Dragonwell

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • 40k for Warhammer Prime pl0cks
A Generalized BattleTech Universe Primer?
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:28 PM »
Greets

Basically, I'm in over my head with the size of the BattleTech universe. Unlike equally large or larger universes like Star Wars that have a set of movies that give you the sun around which all other fictional bodies orbit, BattleTech doesn't seem to have much like that other than a huge stack of novels.

That being said, for those of you BattleTech buffs who've read every damn article on Sarna or read every BattleTech fiction under the sun, which books (and articles on Sarna) do you recommend reading to get an overall feel for the deeper sides of the BattleTech universe?

I've The Ghost War, though I get the impression that many if not most of the hardcore BattleTech fans deem the Dark Age material to be non-canon (or even going back as far as the Jihad and later).

I've perused various articles on Sarna, particularly the overall BattleTech timeline, the origins and nature of the Clans, and basics on the disintegration of the Star League and the series of Succession Wars that decimated the Inner Sphere for what, hundreds of years?

Pardon my noobishness, fellow pilots, but I require enlightenment!

-DW
12th Vegan Rangers
mmmMMMmMmMMMM WE ARE HUMAN
mmmMMMmMmMMMM AFTER ALL
mmmMMMmMmMMMM FLESH UNCOVERED
mmmMMMmMmMMMM AFTER ALL

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
Re: A Generalized BattleTech Universe Primer?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:51:12 PM »
No pardon required, you came to the right section of the forums.  I would personally recommend sourcebooks over the novels.  I actually enjoy reading them more, and many can be read, or even DL in PDF format. 

Sarna is not a bad place to start either, if I were you find a faction or clan or whatever and read up on that, then move to other stuff.  It can get confusing reading about everyone and everything, but in all honesty it never gets to "deep".   :) :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:41:17 AM »
Here is a really good pdf to go over.

I have on in a collection I have and managed to find a link to it.  It is a rough 4 meg file written by Loren Coleman, who wrote some novels and sourcebooks.  It is right around WizKids take over of FASA(original creators of battletech)  Good place to start.  As it is not copywrited and only synopsis each faction and the time line I do not see a problem with it... Mods of course if there is feel free to take the link down.

http://www.lski.org/pictures/TableTopGaming/BattleTech%20-%20MechWarrior%20-%20Giga%20-%20Play%20(Rev.%20050108)/BattleTech%20-%20Complete%20Classic%20Universe%20.pdf

Enjoy

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 01:17:40 AM »
Try this one, straight from the official source.

http://www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=text&page=Game_Universe

There is one novel series that covers the universe quite well: Blood of Kerensky Trilogy. If you only read 3 novels, those are it.

Offline Cygma

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +65/-1
    • 7th Regiment Wolfs Dragoons
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 01:43:52 AM »
There is one novel series that covers the universe quite well: Blood of Kerensky Trilogy. If you only read 3 novels, those are it.
Seconded. Those effectively give a primer to all major IS factions, the Clans and tell the first parts of the Clan invasion.
Good read and a nice mix between high-level politics/strategies with actual combat and personal stories.
<Insert cool content here>

Offline Dragonwell

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • 40k for Warhammer Prime pl0cks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 02:16:44 AM »
Here is a really good pdf to go over.

I have on in a collection I have and managed to find a link to it.  It is a rough 4 meg file written by Loren Coleman, who wrote some novels and sourcebooks.  It is right around WizKids take over of FASA(original creators of battletech)  Good place to start.  As it is not copywrited and only synopsis each faction and the time line I do not see a problem with it... Mods of course if there is feel free to take the link down.

http://www.lski.org/pictures/TableTopGaming/BattleTech%20-%20MechWarrior%20-%20Giga%20-%20Play%20(Rev.%20050108)/BattleTech%20-%20Complete%20Classic%20Universe%20.pdf

Enjoy

This is the shit right here, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I am interested in BattleTech novels, too, so I'll definitely keep the Blood of Kerensky trilogy in mind.

The official BattleTech article that you linked, ElDragon, looks look the introductory from the one that CoffiNail linked, only reworded. Odd. At any rate getting two reads of the same material with different verbage should help my absorption :3

Thanks dudes. Any other suggestions?
12th Vegan Rangers
mmmMMMmMmMMMM WE ARE HUMAN
mmmMMMmMmMMMM AFTER ALL
mmmMMMmMmMMMM FLESH UNCOVERED
mmmMMMmMmMMMM AFTER ALL

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 02:26:46 AM »
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,10592.0.html

This section of the forum is chocked full of links, though I think MatthewPryde is AFMWLL at the moment.  In the above link he offered his digitized sourcebooks, and he worked for FASA, back in the day.  He says spread the love... :) ;) ;)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline 7.[WD]Ragor

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +111/-3
  • Maj.7thWolf'sDragoons a.D.
    • 7th. Regiment 'eta' Wolf Dragoons
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 12:28:16 PM »
Seconded. Those effectively give a primer to all major IS factions, the Clans and tell the first parts of the Clan invasion.
Good read and a nice mix between high-level politics/strategies with actual combat and personal stories.

/signed

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »
http://ppc.warhawkenterprises.com/theclans/

This is a good place to start for a bunch of backstory and explanations about the Clans, not sure if an IS version exists.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline golden_eye

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »
Thanks for putting up the links guys! I've loved MW since MW2 but never really started getting into the whole BTU until recently. I've been browsing pretty much everything on Sarna but those .pdfs and links really are much easier to read and provide more continuity rather than following a bunch of random links around.

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,10592.0.html

This section of the forum is chocked full of links, though I think MatthewPryde is AFMWLL at the moment.  In the above link he offered his digitized sourcebooks, and he worked for FASA, back in the day.  He says spread the love... :) ;) ;)

Matt says hi! He is busy working on a few things for his RL job. But he stays in contact with a few of us ;D

Also I believe that if you are going to actually read everything then star with "the saga of the grey death legion" it is a series of three at the beginning of the noveled timeline...so you will get tons of awesome backstory to everything ;D then check saran for a crono list and proceed from there.

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »
Yah, the first 3 Grey Death Books are good.
The latter ones are a bit more meh in my eyes . .
Best characterized by the following quote:"The GDL has been destroyed? again? wake me when it's back"
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Leeko

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +76/-4
  • Clan Jade Wolf Resident Perma-Cadet
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
If you want a look at Clan society before the invasion, I'd recommend the Jade Phoenix Trilogy (Way of the Clans, Bloodname, Falcon Guard). For the IS perspective in the succession wars era, the Gray Death Legion novels are spectacular.
#mwll, where all the anuschat happens
(2:46:59 PM) Pytak: vicious anus
(2:47:09 PM) haarp: it hungers
(2:48:01 PM) Pytak: for moar

(11:38:04 AM) Merf: I can touch everything.
(11:38:07 AM) Merf: Prepare your anus
(11:38:50 AM) Merf: It is okay. I am your father, which makes it totally not creepy

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 03:26:44 PM »
Yah, the first 3 Grey Death Books are good.
The latter ones are a bit more meh in my eyes . .
Best characterized by the following quote:"The GDL has been destroyed? again? wake me when it's back"

A tear crossed my scarred face the day I first read about the death of Grayson Death Carlyle who is soon followed by his wife, Lori Kalmar-Carlyle, who is killed in battle whilst defending Hesperus.
Alexander Durant Carlyle, incoming with the 1st House Guard of Steiner to Hesperus, is just hours too late to save his mother.
I guess "young Bairrn" Alex will have his revenge on the Skye-Separatists^^ (this being a short overview of one of the latter books of BTU, at least that period that counts^^)

One of those latter books, that is quite nice to read is called "Storms of fate" by Loren Coleman, more tips are "Highlander Gambit"(Highlanders mate ! some nice battles+politricks), "Black Dragon"(Camachos Caballeros, siiiiiiiick Mercs, set-up good and proper through politricks), "Shadows of war" and "Fire and Sword"(Both about Operation Serpent/Bulldog, much action+politricks).

But my real advice concerning BT-Books is: read them all, somehow^^ Most of them are really good timekillers, some are not sooo good but still decent

Have fun reading !

<3 to the Devs !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"