Author Topic: Auto Updater feature requests and suggestions  (Read 8461 times)

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
Auto Updater feature requests and suggestions
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Hey guys,

During the past months, I've been working on Auto Updater and Beta Launcher polishing and bug-fixing - as a result, a new version (v0.9) will be released in about 2 weeks.
As soon as I've received feedback that the new application versions are stable, I'll begin working on the 1.0 versions of these programs, which will have a completely new (and fancy  ;)) design and will be rewritten from scratch, using more up-to-date technologies (like .NET Framework 4.0 and Windows Presentation Foundation). This process will undoubtedly take months, but we believe it will be worth it. I'd like to ask for your help in making these new versions the perfect tools for all MechWarrior: Living Legends players!

In this topic I'd like to gather any and all ideas and suggestions regarding the Auto Updater systems. Feel free to post anything that you would like to see implemented and is related to this application.
(Co-thread: Beta Launcher feature requests and suggestions)

Please keep in mind that I might or might not confirm your proposals, as the roadmap is not fixed, and there may be last-minute changes, cancellations, and so on (pretty much the same reason why we don't announce everything we're working on in the game either). Please don't let this discourage you from posting though - authors of the ideas that actually get implemented will be mentioned in the release notes.

Thank you very much for your involvement! Your insights are always greatly appreciated.
Should you have any questions that you feel inappropriate to ask in the forums, please feel free to send me a PM or e-mail, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Planned (confirmed) features:
(These are the features that are likely to be implemented in some form.)
  • Unattended updating: download and install ALL relevant updates without requiring user intervention. The user will be shown an overview screen containing information about all the updates that will be installed.

Suggested features:
(These are the features that you've already recommended, but are not yet confirmed.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:21:56 AM by (TLL)ShdNx »
External tools lead developer

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
Re: Auto Updater feature requests and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:52:16 PM »
Suggested feature: offline repository.

A possibility to easily preserve and maintain an offline distributive of downloaded MWLL archives. It should include the catalogue of downloaded packages and the ability to easily create a "cumulative package" by automatically injecting the major version all the minor updates released for it so far to have a MWLL_0.X.Y.zip(or even .exe) which could be used for offline distribution of MWLL(for LAN parties or backup DVD burning).

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »
Suggested feature: offline repository.

A possibility to easily preserve and maintain an offline distributive of downloaded MWLL archives. It should include the catalogue of downloaded packages and the ability to easily create a "cumulative package" by automatically injecting the major version all the minor updates released for it so far to have a MWLL_0.X.Y.zip(or even .exe) which could be used for offline distribution of MWLL(for LAN parties or backup DVD burning).

This can be a lot of work, but I certainly see its potential use. It's very possible that this will get implemented, but I can't confirm it at this point. It has been added to the suggestion list nonetheless - thank you!

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:05:42 PM »
In the auto-updater if there is to be a checkbox for preserving the update file(s), this checkbox should be selected by default. This makes it easier for server operators to access the update Zip file locally on their client, de-compress it, and then FTP it to their GSP server. As it is now as soon as the user selects to update his MWLL client, the updater starts without further input from the user. The user may want to choose some checkboxes on the auto-update dialog window but as it is now this is not possible. Unless I am missing something.

What about an easily editable .INI file that would be input to the auto-updater?

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:42:03 PM »
In the auto-updater if there is to be a checkbox for preserving the update file(s), this checkbox should be selected by default. This makes it easier for server operators to access the update Zip file locally on their client, de-compress it, and then FTP it to their GSP server. As it is now as soon as the user selects to update his MWLL client, the updater starts without further input from the user. The user may want to choose some checkboxes on the auto-update dialog window but as it is now this is not possible. Unless I am missing something.

What about an easily editable .INI file that would be input to the auto-updater?

In the other hand, most people won't want the torrent files to remain on their computer (taking up valuable free space), so I'm not making the preserve files default-on.
Now the user can specify the options during the update (using the checkboxes on the bottom of the window), and in the next version I'm creating an options window which will contain e.g. download and upload speed limits and the current checkboxes.
An INI file would be okay, but I really don't want you to have to manually edit an INI file.

As I currently imagine the 1.0 version, it will provide some more flexibility by having a pre-update summary window. This window will offer various options to choose the update(s) to install (including the offline repository proposed earlier) as well as specify update settings (like: Preserve update files, Auto-start Launcher, Max download/upload speed, etc.). How does that sound?

Klingon Programmer:
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »
Now the user can specify the options during the update (using the checkboxes on the bottom of the window),

(TLL)ShdNx, In my experience with the current auto-updater I have not found this to be the case. As soon as I enter the auto-updater settings dialog, the torrent process starts immediately and the download proceeds. Choosing the Preserve files check box, if it is unchecked, does NOT cause the files to be copied to the requesting client computer.

in the next version I'm creating an options window which will contain e.g. download and upload speed limits and the current checkboxes.

This sounds good as long as the there is a programmatic pause at the auto-updater dialog screen to allow the user to select features and then allow the user to either start the torrent download process or not to allow the torrent download process. I am assuming closing the auto-updater dialog would stop the torrent download process if the user chose to do so.

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »
Now the user can specify the options during the update (using the checkboxes on the bottom of the window),

(TLL)ShdNx, In my experience with the current auto-updater I have not found this to be the case. As soon as I enter the auto-updater settings dialog, the torrent process starts immediately and the download proceeds. Choosing the Preserve files check box, if it is unchecked, does NOT cause the files to be copied to the requesting client computer.

Hmmm, that's interesting - I'll look into it. Thanks for reporting.
For the record, the update is downloaded to the Updates folder in your MWLL build - and these files will get deleted after the update installation is complete unless the Preserve files box is checked. At least, that's how it's supposed to be working.

in the next version I'm creating an options window which will contain e.g. download and upload speed limits and the current checkboxes.

This sounds good as long as the there is a programmatic pause at the auto-updater dialog screen to allow the user to select features and then allow the user to either start the torrent download process or not to allow the torrent download process. I am assuming closing the auto-updater dialog would stop the torrent download process if the user chose to do so.
[/quote]

I'm not quite certain what you're trying to say here. If the user doesn't want the update to be downloaded, he would have chosen 'No' in the 'Update available' dialog. Closing the Auto Updater naturally also terminates the download. Could you please rephrase this paragraph?

Klingon Programmer:
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 10:01:05 PM »
Start Launcher

If Update=True
 then Display Window with Yes No branch
  If Yes Display auto-download dialog
    User chooses settings
    User says Yes to save setting selections and start Update  or No to not save selections and start Update and then either aborts or returns to Launcher?
  If No return to Launcher

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 01:55:50 PM »
Start Launcher

If Update=True
 then Display Window with Yes No branch
  If Yes Display auto-download dialog
    User chooses settings
    User says Yes to save setting selections and start Update  or No to not save selections and start Update and then either aborts or returns to Launcher?
  If No return to Launcher

I don't see the reason why would a user choose to start downloading an update, and then immediately after that choose NOT to proceed. Nevertheless, they can still do so, by specifying their settings, and then pressing Cancel, which will abort the procedure.

Klingon Programmer:
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:09:33 PM »
Did you confirm that the current Launcher starts the Torrent download process before the user could check the Preserve files button?

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »
Did you confirm that the current Launcher starts the Torrent download process before the user could check the Preserve files button?

You should be able to check/uncheck the Preserve files checkbox during the download and installation, because it is only relevant at the very end of the installation (specifically, when you press Close). That is when the application deletes the downloaded torrent files unless that checkbox has been checked. It is not required that you set your options before the update starts.

I see now that this is where you have been having a misunderstanding. I hope I managed to clear it up. :)

Klingon Programmer:
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »
I understand what you say but having checked this Preserve checkbox and when the download and install is complete I do not find the .Zip file in the Updates folder. Maybe I am doing something wrong but numerous times I have had to go directly to a URL download link to get the Zip file so I may update my GSP server.

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 08:24:59 PM »
I understand what you say but having checked this Preserve checkbox and when the download and install is complete I do not find the .Zip file in the Updates folder. Maybe I am doing something wrong but numerous times I have had to go directly to a URL download link to get the Zip file so I may update my GSP server.

Yes, there is a bug currently which causes your setting to be discarded. I'm working on it, but there are numerous other issues to address as well.

Klingon Programmer:
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »
Map-Auto-Updater?
Or would that be for something else?
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »
Map-Auto-Updater?
Or would that be for something else?

As far as current plans go, that feature will not be a part of the Auto Updater systems. Please note that this does not mean that we're not going to introduce it in a way or another.

Klingon Programmer:
(Stackoverflow.com)