Author Topic: Auto Updater feature requests and suggestions  (Read 7567 times)

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +85/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
Re: Auto Updater feature requests and suggestions
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 04:34:51 PM »
i can live with that ^^
not that i have much of a choice . . <.<;,
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Seraph

• Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +124/-1
    • The Living Legends Mercenary Unit
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 12:41:26 PM »
Our own maps are updated via the updater as usual, 3rd party maps will be updated by using the in-game auto download feature that we still plan to fix someday - since it's a long and hard task due to the flash code required don't expect this to happen soon.
Seraph - "The Can Man"
In the heat of battle, legends are born ...

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +85/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 05:16:32 PM »
i don't. i know flash sucks. and it's been 10 years since i last had to do flash <.<
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Az

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 01:01:17 AM »
I don't see the reason why would a user choose to start downloading an update, and then immediately after that choose NOT to proceed.

To get the torrent file :). I want to download the update, but not using the auto-updater: I'd rather use my usual torrent client and keep seeding after the update. Once the update is finished downloading, I write-protect the zip file to prevent deletion and run the auto-updater again.

I'm not sure it would be useful for many people, but if I had a suggestion to make it would be something like this:
Change the yes/no update prompt to also provide a manual update option. That manual update menu could have a "Download torrent file" button, maybe a "Download from HTTP mirror" button, and a "Apply update" button that prompts for an update zip file (thus not requiring a specific location for it).

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 11:07:34 AM »
I don't see the reason why would a user choose to start downloading an update, and then immediately after that choose NOT to proceed.

To get the torrent file :). I want to download the update, but not using the auto-updater: I'd rather use my usual torrent client and keep seeding after the update. Once the update is finished downloading, I write-protect the zip file to prevent deletion and run the auto-updater again.

I'm not sure it would be useful for many people, but if I had a suggestion to make it would be something like this:
Change the yes/no update prompt to also provide a manual update option. That manual update menu could have a "Download torrent file" button, maybe a "Download from HTTP mirror" button, and a "Apply update" button that prompts for an update zip file (thus not requiring a specific location for it).

I see. The problem with this is that Auto Updater does much more than just downloading and extracting the files. It deletes obsolete files, updates the profile actionmaps, installs new dependencies, etc. Also, it's a confirmed feature that the Auto Updater will be able to download and install multiple updates without extra user intervention: this is especially useful is you consider installing from 0.4.0 -> 0.4.9.

What I can offer as a compromise: after the update has been downloaded, the Auto Updater can try to register the torrent with the torrent client installed on the user's machine - providing the user wishes so. Communicating with other torrent clients may be tricky, but I'm willing to explore that option.

Of course if you have any other suggestions (regarding this issue, or any other issue), you're welcome to share them here!
External tools lead developer

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline Az

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-0
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »
I see. The problem with this is that Auto Updater does much more than just downloading and extracting the files. It deletes obsolete files, updates the profile actionmaps, installs new dependencies, etc.

Not really a problem, since I'm using the Auto Updater to do the installation, just not the downloading. My suggestion implied a clean separation between looking for an available update and selecting the relevant one (at prompt time), the downloading itself (through the Auto Updater itself or an alternative means), and applying the update (either automatically after a download or at user's request through an install update button). I was going to say the real problem would the possible amount of code rewriting involved, but then I reread the OP and remembered you're talking about a complete rewrite, not an incremental update, so that's a moot point ^^.

Also, it's a confirmed feature that the Auto Updater will be able to download and install multiple updates without extra user intervention: this is especially useful is you consider installing from 0.4.0 -> 0.4.9.

In a scenario where I'd have MWLL 0.4.0 installed and every subsequent patch archives, I could choose the automatic update, or I could apply each patch successively with an "apply update" button. I'd like to have that choice.

If that option isn't considered, I'd like to be able to do with a multiple update the same thing as I'm doing right now, i.e.: start then cancel the update, use the .torrent files for all planned updates that can then be found in Updates sub-folders, and re-run the Auto Updater once the downloads are finished.

If for design reasons, the Auto Updater can't retrieve all .torrent files at once (it needs to install version n+1 before looking for n+2), then I'm out of luck, I guess ^^.

What I can offer as a compromise: after the update has been downloaded, the Auto Updater can try to register the torrent with the torrent client installed on the user's machine - providing the user wishes so. Communicating with other torrent clients may be tricky, but I'm willing to explore that option.

Getting another client to start the download wouldn't be tricky at all just "open" the torrent file and the registered client should pop up but automatically directing it to the correct directory... that's probably more than tricky, and downright impossible. No use in automatically starting the download with another client anyway if we still have to dig our way through the seven or so folder levels the updates are buried into because that's the tedious part. Ok, self-imposed tedium... but still :).

So let's take the easy way: add a button to open the relevant MWLL.x.x.x-to-y.y.y folder. The torrent will be just there to be double-clicked, and the path will be readily available to cut and paste into the torrent client. It would also make it easy to access and backup the update after download, so that could also be useful for people using the embedded client.

Of course if you have any other suggestions (regarding this issue, or any other issue), you're welcome to share them here!

Well, with regard to the "preserve update files" option, I may have some.

First, I'd like to have it work at all :D
Second, I don't know if it is supposed to preserve the torrent file too, but I'd like it to be the case.
And lastly, I'd like that setting to be persistent. After all, no much use in keeping only some files, you either want them all or none. I think it reverts to unchecked each time right now, but honestly I didn't pay it much attention since it doesn't work yet.

And I think that will be all.

No wait, it's not: now that I think about it, a "smart" Apply update option might be able to detect consecutive updates in the same folder (the naming scheme seems rigid enough) and apply all of them at once. It would then almost fulfil the role of Siilk's offline repository. Without the cumulative part, so it wouldn't be space-efficient (how many GameData.pak copies? ^^) but it would provide the main convenience: easy reinstallation.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 07:18:02 AM »
Not to pee in anyone's cereal but with cheaply and widely available 2tb hdd's, is space really a concern for anyone? Getting rid of pron games you no longer play/movies frees up much more space than deleting a 30mb .zip file from the update.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline VictorMorson

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-27
  • WANTED: 24 counts of base rape and dismemberment.
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »
I have a request for the auto updated I think that would be very useful:  A community map list / downloader.

In short, a button that would bring up a list of community maps (I suspect paired with a community map linker on the LL page) and furthermore download & place them in the right directory directly from there.  Community maps have a pretty hard time getting going, in particular when you have a small community and I think this would help them get far more of an install base and make server admins less reluctant to add them in.

Likewise, it'd be nice if the Auto Updater could check installed external content like the maps against the database and alert you when they need updating as well.  I realize this would require some system for map makers to add their maps to the DB (including URL linking) but if that could be handled, it would be a huge bonus to the community.

I will personally hunt you down and poptart your leg while your back is turned and you're in your base.

Offline Cygma

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +65/-1
    • 7th Regiment Wolfs Dragoons
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »
Just read a few posts back:
3rd party maps will be updated by using the in-game auto download feature that we still plan to fix someday - since it's a long and hard task due to the flash code required don't expect this to happen soon.
<Insert cool content here>