Author Topic: Your idea the of ultamite mechwarrior game.  (Read 15335 times)

Offline shadowkiller

• Lead Level Designer
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +38/-0
  • Particle Guru
Your idea the of ultamite mechwarrior game.
« on: March 16, 2011, 01:25:25 AM »
Hey guys,

I was curious to see what your idea of the ultamite mechwarrior game would be. Personally mine would be planetside set in the btech universe. For those that have never played planetside its an mmofps and the battles were the most epic battles i have ever seen in a game, hands down. The game is also a persistant world, the action never stops and the battlefield is always changing.
If it was set in the mechwarrior universe i would prob never see the light of day again and die a happy man. :P

What is your idea of the perfect mechwarrior game?

:D

P.S. Here is a short trailer of planetside, keep in mind every player you see in that video is a person, no ai. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCPvmkcF49o&fmt=8

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Angry coffee table flip attack!

Offline ~SJ~KorbinWimmer

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
Re: Your idea the of ultamite mechwarrior game.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:31:18 AM »
100% agree with planetside.  so epic.

I heard planetside 2 reveal is supposed to happen this month.

Offline [IPA] Thalamus

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:33:06 AM »
MWLL with Mechlab, large Singleplayer campaign, online planetary campaign (persistent planetary campaign that continues after you log out! very nice for a mercanery setting: hook up with a unit, pick a battle together to join. fight, see what happens on the planetary map, repeat for infinite fun!)  and "commander"-functions both in multi- & singleplayer (asking lancemates to attack a certain target); oh, and, since it does support singleplayer, it can field bots in multiplayer of course ;)

Scenario should be something in the somewhat richer periphery (Marian Hegemony for example); I'd expect those states most to field the diversity of units (different tech eras, cheap tanks along assaults, lots of lights) that is represented in MWLL. Also, in the periphery you can create whole new storylines without having to screw around with canon much.
The Independent Pubbers' Association

Offline DFDelta

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +145/-1
  • Wiki Staff
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 04:31:38 AM »
Main game mode:
It would be a MMO, based around a players career in one of the houses (all included), clan (invader clans only) or merc (can change IS house daily, but gains fewer rewards(see below)).
Several planets are divided into dozens of regions each, if one side decides to attack one of those regions the defender would get a warning, and then have 5 minutes to array a defending force, the winner gets the region and it is "safe" for a short amount of time (like, 15 minutes). Shattered Galaxy was a MMORTS with a similar system, and it was awesome.
There are 2 types of regions, ressource regions (holding side gains CBills) and base regions (holding side can repair here between battles). Each single region has its own map, and thanks to this a great variety is asured.
Each faction has a home base that can be captured if the faction has no other regions left. If they lose they will be driven out, and they will have to start anew on that planet.
"Defeated" factions can attack any base region they want in a combat drop, exept for hostile home bases. During this they will have heavy support like assault class dropships.

Combat itself would be pretty much like MWLL. Seriously, IMHO it is almost perfect, only with the difference that you can only choose from previously designed vehicles, and that your amount of spare vehicles is limited.
For example, you would start as a new clan player with a Stormcrow and a Ares tank, if you loose both you can only use your BA suit until those are repaired. (Base regions ftw  ;D)
Game time would be changing. Of course its over if one side completely retreats, or has no combat vehicles left, where advanced BA types do also count. Minor ressource bases could be locked once combat started, and thus end very quickly, but base sieges (especially home bases and combat drops) and major ressourse regions might last until one side is defeated (and since people can join during gameplay, might last for several hours)
Players would pilot the same vehicle types as in MWLL, and conventional infantry might be added as bots in base defence scenarios.

During weekly server maintenance (a MMO needs those, right? ;D), all players gain CBills according to the time and amount of ressource bases his faction held during the last week.
Those can be used to buy new mechs, tanks, ASF, mech cocoons (more mechs to choose from, think of it as character slots from classical MMORPGs), tank slots, ASF hangars, weapons, equipment and similar stuff.

All that is pretty much a mix of the games Planetside, Shattered Galaxy, Allegiance and MWLL  ;D

Secondary game mode:
Skirmish, just your average pick a server and start shooting game mode.
Join the MWLL wiki today, your contributions will make the wiki a better place.

In Lyran Commonwealth, Atlas scouts you.

Offline Blu C

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +9/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »
MWLL is great as far as the actual combat goes in most regards (minus minor balancing issues with some units).

The MAIN thing I would like to see is the introduction of a command system that will give benefits to sides who are able to use it well and make good commanders a valuable asset.  There are many ways to do this from command support abilities to limiting information and communication between squads so they need to rely on the chain of command.

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
Main game mode:
It would be a MMO, based around a players career in one of the houses (all included), clan (invader clans only) or merc (can change IS house daily, but gains fewer rewards(see below)).
Several planets are divided into dozens of regions each, if one side decides to attack one of those regions the defender would get a warning, and then have 5 minutes to array a defending force, the winner gets the region and it is "safe" for a short amount of time (like, 15 minutes). Shattered Galaxy was a MMORTS with a similar system, and it was awesome.
There are 2 types of regions, ressource regions (holding side gains CBills) and base regions (holding side can repair here between battles). Each single region has its own map, and thanks to this a great variety is asured.
Each faction has a home base that can be captured if the faction has no other regions left. If they lose they will be driven out, and they will have to start anew on that planet.
"Defeated" factions can attack any base region they want in a combat drop, exept for hostile home bases. During this they will have heavy support like assault class dropships.

Combat itself would be pretty much like MWLL. Seriously, IMHO it is almost perfect, only with the difference that you can only choose from previously designed vehicles, and that your amount of spare vehicles is limited.
For example, you would start as a new clan player with a Stormcrow and a Ares tank, if you loose both you can only use your BA suit until those are repaired. (Base regions ftw  ;D)
Game time would be changing. Of course its over if one side completely retreats, or has no combat vehicles left, where advanced BA types do also count. Minor ressource bases could be locked once combat started, and thus end very quickly, but base sieges (especially home bases and combat drops) and major ressourse regions might last until one side is defeated (and since people can join during gameplay, might last for several hours)
Players would pilot the same vehicle types as in MWLL, and conventional infantry might be added as bots in base defence scenarios.

During weekly server maintenance (a MMO needs those, right? ;D), all players gain CBills according to the time and amount of ressource bases his faction held during the last week.
Those can be used to buy new mechs, tanks, ASF, mech cocoons (more mechs to choose from, think of it as character slots from classical MMORPGs), tank slots, ASF hangars, weapons, equipment and similar stuff.

All that is pretty much a mix of the games Planetside, Shattered Galaxy, Allegiance and MWLL  ;D

Secondary game mode:
Skirmish, just your average pick a server and start shooting game mode.

^This!

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline [IPA] Thalamus

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »
So what we actually need to do to turn MWLL into the best MMO ever is to create an interface that manages players, units, factions, money etc., that schedules battles and that translates these data into server variables (available units, available spawns, tickets, which unit on which team). A kind of "very advanced mwll launcher with" that processes and feeds user data :)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:40:14 PM »
Not so much my ultimate Mechwarrior game as my ultimate MWLL gameplay mode.

Essentially a mission based gameplay mode, similar to Enemy Territory's levels.

Both sides having dynamic objectives as well as that being split between assets, BA specific objective, Aerospace, Mech etc.

I feel it would really go a long way to expanding the awesome combined arms aspect of the mod.

I am not sure if it is achievable or not, but all i can say is it'd be absolutely amazing.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 05:02:06 PM »
I would also like to see a persistent type MMO with planetary assaults and defense, from infantry level all the way up to aerospace.  The way I would see it is that each contested battle would be respawn so similar to planetside, but maybe with limited spawn resources or something so there's a possible end if the defending team does a good job at holding the line. Though there should be more than just assault type missions, like raids and recons that would be smaller, shorter battles that give bonuses to the winning team in the area.

One way to keep it interesting to play infantry when there's mechs and aerospace around is to not only have certain capturable/destroyable points that are inaccessible to vehicles (or maybe in some areas just to infantry and tanks due to a ceiling or something) but also to make it so the infantry truly can take advantage of urban terrain (by occupying buildings) as well as being able to spawn in faster after dying.  Now to keep everyone from just being in mechs and vehicles all the time perhaps there could be some sort of separate BA, mech, tank, and aero queue's that you can wait in while going it as infantry. This way you can be sure that the number of heavier assets on the field are somewhat limited so it doesn't turn into an all-daishi snooze fest.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:09:53 PM by (TLL)CapperDeluxe »

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »
A nice expansion of what I was talking about there.
 ;D

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 02:11:47 AM »
MW Reboot (by the looks of the trailer)

High damage and recoil (both from you and your enemy), low accuracy and badass graphics (also mech pilots don't eject as BA) 8)
You can also shoot everything that shoots you (goddamn armed balloons and nuke droppers can't get easy kills here)

Offline shadowkiller

• Lead Level Designer
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +38/-0
  • Particle Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 02:21:34 AM »
Some really great ideas here. Sounds like a persistant mmo is what mechwarrior/battletech really needs. Its the only way to show the true scale of the planet assaults etc.

Each planet could have several zones that could be attacked and players would be notified of attacks on bases etc. If you want you could jump in with a bunch of players and assult a base or fly to an area that isn't being attack and raid bases. However raiding would cause the enemy to come running to defend the area so scout mechs and vehicles will come in handy for zipping around and capturing things before the enemy can mobilize.

I would also like to see some sort of rpg/rank system. As you rank up more and more mechs, vehicles, electronics and upgrades would become available.

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Angry coffee table flip attack!

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 04:15:55 AM »
VTM+Battletech... VampireTech!

Imagine that Firemoth with maxed out Celerity and Potence.....

:D

Naw, in all seriousness, a finished (read 1.0.0) MWLL release, with an offline training mode (well by 'offline' I mean it has ai controlled targets and basic enemies, or you can have 2-3 people in it using each other as target practice). Add some more sound effects, some kickass music (thinking MW2 Mercs soundtrack style), and some performance boosts, and I could probably forget about MW5 as anything other than the separate SP install (think Wars and Warhead)  8)

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline shyrkonflex

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 12:30:47 PM »
Just MWLL , but a little more advanced (payed developer style :D), more mechs and assets, easy modding ability (MekTek lol) and Battlefield-like gameplay.
Probably Fostbite 2 Engine (BF3) but more likely UT3/UDK.
Great art-style and graphics with unique envos and moody soundtrack (like MW2 and 3 had).
Gamemodes ala Conquest (BF std.) both sides landing in dropships and calling in forces with tickets, assets are bought in the ship with Mechlab adding extra cost to your unit.
Battletech (wouldn't call it Mechwarrior) mixed combat with a focus on mechs, but all other assets represented (Infantry, Battlearmor, Hover/Tanks, Mechs, VTOL and Aero)
Only infantry should be able to cap bases, requiring teamwork and real "tactics", not just mindless running at eachother.
64 on 64 or 32 on 32 matches with puretech from around the 3050 to 3070 area (I woulnd't mind to scew the timeline a bit), skins for all major clans, houses and merc units.
Each faction should have a unique asset like ... Jadefalcons Turkina, Ghost Bears Kodiak Wolfs Dragoons Annihilator and so on giving them a certain "face".
Dynamics are a big part for me, I'd really like the mechs to have euphoria physics to really walk and behave dynamicly under fire and upon walking different terraigns, massive procedural mech/asset destruction (would just be so great if your weapons finally had the "impact" as depicted in the novels) and fast-paced, simulator style combat (high damage to armor ratio, ergo quick combat with high damage, keeping lights mechs usefull till the end). Cockpit rocking and reticule movement depending on speed and "supression" (not every shot hits, but if it does, its serious rather them useless "shooting in for faces for an hour" style).
Obviously great, immersive first person cockpit view with a great care for detail ...

Thats what I'd do, and I think its not even that utopic ... It would really be possible, and it would rock.

Offline [IPA] Thalamus

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »
I'd like to hear what Korbiin thinks  :P