Author Topic: Your idea the of ultamite mechwarrior game.  (Read 15938 times)

Offline Leeko

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +76/-4
  • Clan Jade Wolf Resident Perma-Cadet
Re: Your idea the of ultamite mechwarrior game.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 04:58:58 PM »
The BT universe is sort of perfect for an MMO. It's vast, there's TONS of factions, and even a clear black-and-white division among them (Clans and IS  - because every MMO since WoW has had its own Alliance and Horde). The only problem is that there wouldn't be a good way to implement a progression system that would justify a subscription, and thus not appealing to a publisher. Not to say that I wouldn't mind a break from WoW style progression - I played Warhammer Online and thoroughly enjoyed the system whereby it gives you a level boost in PvP areas, and I think a lot of games would benefit from having less rigid progression.
#mwll, where all the anuschat happens
(2:46:59 PM) Pytak: vicious anus
(2:47:09 PM) haarp: it hungers
(2:48:01 PM) Pytak: for moar

(11:38:04 AM) Merf: I can touch everything.
(11:38:07 AM) Merf: Prepare your anus
(11:38:50 AM) Merf: It is okay. I am your father, which makes it totally not creepy

Offline shyrkonflex

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »
Expanding on MMO ...

You guys know that game World of Tanks ?
Thats what it could be like if it was an MMO, I'd really enjoy that type of advancement system based upon salvage and stuff, it would only have to be pretty slow to keep users interested.
It would really be interesting to have a game more about single mechs that you really customize and build up to call your own and build a bond with (just like in "reality") rather than switching the thing every 5 minutes or so. This could again be combined arms, form BA to Mech and Aero.
It would then be kickass to have arranged fights over planets with units of around a battalion/bi/trinary in size with ya mates, making it so that groups can come together and gather bigger fighting forces, probably led by a commander of some sort (probably player of highest rank/skill).
Rewards could be EXP (should not play such a big role, but could be seen as pilot skill and upgrade your aiming steadiness and shit), salvage in forms of chassis and weapons and also special showoff stuff like banners and paint schemes ...
It could really imagine extrem customizability as something great, I'd love to be able to paint my own mech in a certain way and have it get "elite" (more durable, better heat dissipation and stuff overt time) with all wierd banners and flipoff-writings on it (of course, depending if clan, housewarrior or merc. :D).
You could (in theory) even make it free to play to get a huge base of players because most people would probably not mind real world advertisement in the salvage/customizing menus.
This would atleast pay the server cost and replace the monthly fee that would annoy most people away from the game.
Combine this with great, simulator style gameplay (like I said in my last post) and it would be the shit, and something new and fresh that keeps people going.

Don't get me wrong, a L1 player should still be able to beat anything if he's good, but the ranking system would kinda give it a new kick when used tastefully.

Offline «اك§» Trooper_Thorn

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-7
  • Galaxy Commander, Iota Galaxy, Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
Everything above, plus space battles between capital ships, jumps, aerospace combat in BA and ASF, planetary assaults in all different styles of dropships from a mech raid to recon to full out assault. now just to find a server to be able to handle 200 plus players at a time or more. Of course tons more maps.

Νέμεσις
"Let our enemies learn the true meaning of Nemesis!"

Offline shyrkonflex

• MechWarrior
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
Server is no problem, engine coordination is.
It honestly wouldn't have to be 200, and I'm also not sure about space battles ... that would be a different game I guess.
But they are generally pretty easily done, its just empty space with a few assets ... could be an option to put some in :D

Offline [IPA] Thalamus

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 08:42:03 PM »
It honestly wouldn't have to be 200, and I'm also not sure about space battles ... that would be a different game I guess.
But they are generally pretty easily done, its just empty space with a few assets ... could be an option to put some in :D

There have been written some interesting scenarios on this on these forums earlier.

One of them included some sort of "boarding commando" on a spacestation: a battleship would have partly docked onto a spacestation and the attackers would have to try to board the space station, crawling along the ship's hull. Small units would have to enter the space station, as all "big unit entrances" were blocked. As this is an absolutely 0-gravity environment it would be tons of fun to have something with jump jets, or BA. Units without JJ, and tanks, would have to watch their step in order to be not blasted or pushed off into space by other units.

A real zero-gravity-environment isn't possible with Crysis I'm afraid. But to get the impression to take part in such a scenario one could simple put the battlefield right into the center of any given (height-map), and make an additional map border 1km below the ship -- if you fell off the ship, you'd die eventually, unless you eject and thrust back onto the ship's hull.

Great fun :)
The Independent Pubbers' Association

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
+1 to the Planetside style MechWarrior
100% agree with planetside.  so epic.

I heard planetside 2 reveal is supposed to happen this month.
Renders have already been released for Planetside Next, by the way.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/
"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"

Offline shyrkonflex

• MechWarrior
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »

There have been written some interesting scenarios on this on these forums earlier.

One of them included some sort of "boarding commando" on a spacestation: a battleship would have partly docked onto a spacestation and the attackers would have to try to board the space station, crawling along the ship's hull. Small units would have to enter the space station, as all "big unit entrances" were blocked. As this is an absolutely 0-gravity environment it would be tons of fun to have something with jump jets, or BA. Units without JJ, and tanks, would have to watch their step in order to be not blasted or pushed off into space by other units.

A real zero-gravity-environment isn't possible with Crysis I'm afraid. But to get the impression to take part in such a scenario one could simple put the battlefield right into the center of any given (height-map), and make an additional map border 1km below the ship -- if you fell off the ship, you'd die eventually, unless you eject and thrust back onto the ship's hull.

Great fun :)

Crysis had zero gravity inside the alien ship in the middle of the SP.
I'm not sure if it reall was "zero" but the entire thing was flooded with some fluid so it played out the same :D

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
A real zero-gravity-environment isn't possible with Crysis I'm afraid.

Crysis had zero gravity inside the alien ship in the middle of the SP.
I'm not sure if it reall was "zero" but the entire thing was flooded with some fluid so it played out the same :D

Me and my TSA_Extremity are saying zero gravity is possible. ;)

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline [IPA] Thalamus

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 01:52:45 PM »
Extremity indeed has low (not zero) gravity, yea, but the problem is: if you made a rock hover above the ground on extremity, could you walk around it, e.g. could you walk upside down on the lower side without falling off?

That was the thing I meant :) Given you are walking on a ship's hull, and the hull is the only (real) source of gravity, you should be able to stick all its sides. That would create some great tactical flexibility (upside of space station too heavily defended? Just walk around them on the downside, then flank) but I'm not sure if the engine can handle that. Therefore, I suggested to just design a hovering plain like it's floating in space, and call it a spaceship ;).
The Independent Pubbers' Association

Offline shyrkonflex

• MechWarrior
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 04:30:13 PM »
Thats what I was saying with the alienship, it does not have any gravity, and so doesn't a space station (of somewhat reasonable size).
You can float around in Crysis, but it wouldn't be usefull for anything and it also wouldn't be much fun.
Having the station as the center of gravity could only be rationalized by saying your assets are all magnetic to walk the hull, but that would again be ... illogical because its just wierd running around on a space station with mechs, thats what Aeros, landingcrafts and Dropships are for.

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »
Mechs can walk along the hull, MW2:GBL has a mission like this and it is easily one of my favourites.

I would love to see a space map in MWLL, would be very interesting.

Offline «اك§» Trooper_Thorn

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-7
  • Galaxy Commander, Iota Galaxy, Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 04:57:26 PM »
«اك§» is from the NBT-HC planetary league, my real problem that in a drop we just suddenly appeared on a drop zone, that is ok I guess from the limited MW4 engine and perspective however, this is a whole new game and engine. I remember from MW2 & MW4 being tossed out of a dropship riding your jumpjets or in the case of 4 jet drop harness into combat but that is also limited and ok I guess. I want to experience the E ticket ride of coming through the atmosphere inside the cockpit of your mech and inside the bay of the dropship under fire or not then grounding and marching out of the dropship and fight to set up the perimeter then battle your way into taking a planet or getting tossed and experiencing the reverse of a fighting withdrawl back to the ship and the lift under fire. I know everyone here remembers the commando video of a fighting withdrawl and lift. I really may be asking for too much but you asked for ideas. In our RP we have naval marine elementals that specialize in zero grav combat and as part of initial assault or Recon like the current USMC's bailiwick. Since we are not yet in real life involved in interplanetary combat this assignment would be a logical progression of a Marines duties. ;D

Νέμεσις
"Let our enemies learn the true meaning of Nemesis!"

Offline shadowkiller

• Lead Level Designer
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +38/-0
  • Particle Guru
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »
Crysis does indeed have 0 g. It also does have proper cam orientation to make walking around an object possible. Its just disabled in crysis. You should look for the gravity boots mod on crymod. Its a minimod where somone reeneabled that camera code and allows you to walk all over the surface of objects. As for this feature in mwll, its being looked into.... ;)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Angry coffee table flip attack!

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 07:15:06 PM »
i hope it will be possible to have a toggle for a dedicated BA to take advanced controls and be given the 360 degree movement.  I LOVE extremity for that.

Offline Taemien

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-1
  • Less pew pew, More Dakka!
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 08:37:22 PM »
BattleTech MMO.

Think MW2: Mercs meets Eve Online.

Basically an involved economy IF, IF and only IF you start your own corporation or mercenary company. If you don't want to be hassled with that, you can join an existing Merc company (like Eradani Light Horse, Wolf's Dragoons, ect.) or a House Military.

Though Star Trek Online's model could work too. Thats a little closer to how MPBT:3025 was like.