Author Topic: Clan society  (Read 27341 times)

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
Clan society
« on: March 25, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
So, I have recently over the past few months read both Jade Pheonix and Blood of Kerensky as well as chunks of a few sourcebooks.  We get ideas of what it may be like, but it is mostly from a warrior perspective.

So, here is a list of questions. Answer a few or answer them all.  Let us try and flesh out the clans a bit more.

What are your thoughts on Clan society?
How do you think the lower castes live?
Labor Caste vs Merchant vs Technician vs Scientist
The lower castes use grades, how do you think the lifestyle would differ per grade?
What about the differences vs some of the clans would be? ie: Snow Raven's wasting nothing!
What do you think their architecture would look like? Civilian? Military?
What about art, music, theater, etc?
Would they dedicate someone to the task of making music for people to listen to, or would it be wasteful? Would one clan think it is wasteful vs another clan thinking it is not?

I have tossed out some questions, feel free to toss some extra ones and I will add them to the OP

It should be interesting to see the perspectives of people who love/play clanners vs love/play Inner Sphere.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
Re: Clan society
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »
/slowly steps away from thread to dodge massive incoming clan lore posts

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
/slowly steps away from thread to dodge massive incoming "Clan vs IS" flame war.

fixed ::)

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 06:41:56 PM »
Aww come on, we can try and be civil. Right? Maybe? Attempt at least?

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »
Before anyone gets started on this, I ask people should cite their sources. There are an astounding number of people whose knowledge of Clan society is second hand and/or selective. Course, the btech sources may not be perfectly consistent either.

There are a number of clans, and they have their own separate sub-cultures. Its easy to get them confused or take an example and paint the group as a whole.

I got a couple resources in mind, I may post them later.

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
/slowly steps away from thread to dodge massive incoming "Clan vs Reality" flame war.

fixed the fix for ya ;)  ;D

Pecuniam non olet
Quid enim saluis infamia nummis

"Make this game my way, because I HAVE A DISORDER!" - VictorMorson
".....show us on the doll where MWLL touched you bad." - KingLeer

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »
Them's Trial o' Grievance words :p

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 09:53:28 PM »
/slowly steps away from thread to dodge massive incoming "Clan vs Reality" flame war.

fixed the fix for ya ;)  ;D

You do realize that this means war...though it always meant war...you are just in the wrong >:( :o ::) ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:29:51 PM by ~SJ~ Amarus »

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:28:16 PM »
Guide to the Clans and Warriors of Kerensky have probably some of the most useful info.

How do you think the lower castes live?
In general not to dissimilar to the houses in most aspects. Though it differs between the clans and casts.

The lower castes use grades, how do you think the lifestyle would differ per grade?
Well their are 25 grades in the civilian casts, Grade 1 is very basic low wage stuff so you will not have much, pore food and a communal living space would not be to far off the mark. Grade 25 gives you better food, more "income", a larger living space (often your own home).

Medical care is very advanced, but also highly rationed to younger people over the older ones (and by your cast and grade).
Transit systems also are cast and grade based, while mass transit systems are available for all, a personnel vehicle is a symbol of higher "rank". Though it's rare for them to have one permanently assigned to them.

What do you think their architecture would look like? Civilian? Military?
Per WoK Your typical Clan city is rather drab and plain looking, cookie cutter layout, simple architecture. Though impotent government buildings are more impressive, The Hall of the Khans on Strana Mechty is built with a Gothic style. Also these buildings very between the clans, The Falcons and Wolves like Dynamic structures, where as the Jaguars like(ed) simplistic forms

What about art, music, theater, etc?
For visual arts cast need nought apply, A warrior is just as likely to be a painter as a member of the Merchant cast
Though their are some areas where your more likely to find some types than others. Performing arts are less prevent among warriors and scientists than the other casts -even then it's formed a sort of super cast (mostly from the laborer and merchant lines) to fulfill the needs. Though it's biased to the clans way of life. books are not all that common in the clans.

Would they dedicate someone to the task of making music for people to listen to, or would it be wasteful? Would one clan think it is wasteful vs another clan thinking it is not?
It would likely very from Clan to clan and from cast to cast.
On visual media (Trivid TV) Clans like the Jaguars have very little media outside essential broadcasts, so have little media industry, on the other hand the Diamond sharks have a huge industry that equals some IS powers in size and ability.
Clan "TV" is driven by needs rather than demand (as is for the most part the rest of their economy) So it provides mostly just information and indoctrination.
It's also cast based, Warriors are more military oriented, Historical battles, weapons tech, grate military leaders, scientists are well more about science and information. The other casts are a bit more like what we would know of, ranging from News (controlled), documentarys, Cooking shows and soap operas, again with a pro clan bias. 
Theirs even Children shows one of the more popular is a series called Clan Spaniel, which features the exploits of of a group of anthropomorphic warriors in their fights to liberate their home worlds from the five tribes of evil monkeys (aka the IS houses), led by their parrot Khan "Polly".
Once again it's all about the clans...

Sports are common clan warriors, and possibly to a lesser extent other casts
Some of the most popular being Lacrosse and Football ("Soccer", American football and Rugby) -Clan Ghost bear is fond of the American football type, and in fact used this to it's advantage on the world of Sheliak when they played a game for control of the world -the Bears won 84 to 3 (it's very popular among Elementals you see).

Offline Taemien

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-1
  • Less pew pew, More Dakka!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 09:41:59 PM »
Them's Orbital Bombardment words :p

Fixt.

Offline «اك§» Trooper_Thorn

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-7
  • Galaxy Commander, Iota Galaxy, Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 10:32:10 PM »
Speaking for Clan Blood Spirit, most of the clans have their own separate cultures we have our own. This you will see in our RP that I have posted and will be posting along with our Loremaster Ryu, Khan Gremlich and others when they can join in. I am not going to flame anyone concerning their interpretations so we will stick to CBS and not engage in comparisons. We will leave that up to each represented Clan as they post for themselves. We are the Heart and the Spirit of the Clans we see ourselves as the guide to light the path to go as one the true and only Star league, We encourage of all of our castes artistic endeavors as you will read in our RP. we do have Caste rivalries but we are changing that to encourage competition but not out right warfare. Some stick to the "Old Ways" however we are moving to a more enlightened policy for the betterment of CBS and hopefully of the all the Clans this we will lead by example not force our views on others. So if you wish to know what life is like in «اك§» follow our current and future RP.

Νέμεσις
"Let our enemies learn the true meaning of Nemesis!"

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 03:36:20 PM »
Again, while some generalizations can be made, the Clans are in many aspects just as varied as the Inner Sphere - which can neither be viewed as a single, monolithic entity. Further, the Clan(s) have evolved over the years - from the founding through the isolation, through Operation REVIVAL and the following migrations/Abjurations and through the Jihad (if you want to include that).

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »
and through the Jihad (if you want to include that).

OH GOD...NO PLEASE...ANYTHING BUT THAT >:(.......*pauses to think*...ANYTHING BUT DARK AGE AND THAT!!! >:(

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline [CW]Outlaw

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-1
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 07:21:20 AM »
For the lower castes a lot of it depends on the Clan. The Warrior caste of Smoke Jaguar, and Jade Falcons were very hostile towards lower caste/freeborn members of their clans however the Jade Falcons could see their importance to the clan where as the Smoke Jaguars did not. On the opposite side of the spectrum you have Ghost Bear and Diamond Sharks who have a bit more kinship with the lower castes; For the most part however the civilians are treated similarly to the way they are in the rest of the Innersphere with varying degrees. Some clans the inter-caste bonds are stronger, others are weaker.

I dont remember seeing much in print regarding the "Grade" system for the lower castes, was it in the novels or actual sourcebook?
Former Commanding Officer- Storm Riders
Star Commander Outlaw
13th Wolf Guards "The Wolf Spiders"

If you see ME not in a Summoner, Hellbringer or Kit Fox, double your caution.
--------------------------------
DCM Crow (NBT) Ret.

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »
For the lower castes a lot of it depends on the Clan. The Warrior caste of Smoke Jaguar, and Jade Falcons were very hostile towards lower caste/freeborn members of their clans however the Jade Falcons could see their importance to the clan where as the Smoke Jaguars did not. On the opposite side of the spectrum you have Ghost Bear and Diamond Sharks who have a bit more kinship with the lower castes; For the most part however the civilians are treated similarly to the way they are in the rest of the Innersphere with varying degrees. Some clans the inter-caste bonds are stronger, others are weaker.

I dont remember seeing much in print regarding the "Grade" system for the lower castes, was it in the novels or actual sourcebook?

Actual sourcebook.  Each caste has 25 grades, i think it is in mechwarrior's guide to the Clans, and there is not a whole lot on it.  The grades basically limit how much credit you get per month, your housing, etc. your grade is affected by how well you work and the quality, your authority.  Something like slander could get you a 2 step reduction in grade.