Author Topic: Clan society  (Read 27297 times)

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
  • And so it begins...
Re: Clan society
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2013, 11:05:18 PM »
Of course my first non-pub post is this. Might as well stop complaining and post.

Anyways, I find Clan culture to be rather streamlined, and similar to the setup of Feudal-Era Japan. Solving disputes over set battles is a decent way of settling arguments between the subfactions, and design sharing is both common and rare at the same time. It's impressive, in my mind. However, they are (Or seem to be), all things considered, more than a little bit... "Challenged" when it comes to accepting the premise the Inner Sphere reprisents. Granted, tech wise (And some may argue culture wise), the Inner Sphere was/is years behind the Clans. I'm still confused as to why the reaction to this is to burn all the Freebirth Worlds, simply because I've primarily invested in only the Mech-based lore of the series, but the answer should make more sense.

The cowardly Blood Asp pilot. What would you expect from a Newbie?

Gay furry, a tiger, specifically.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »
However, they are (Or seem to be), all things considered, more than a little bit... "Challenged" when it comes to accepting the premise the Inner Sphere reprisents

Not totally sure what you mean here, do you mean in terms recognising the IS as different factions?

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »
For the most part the Clans didn't want to burn free birth worlds, they want to absorb them and show them the way of the clans. Only the SJ's burned a world and that was due to vast resistance of the populous.

If you're talking about the Jihad that was due to Blakist not the Clans.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
Of course my first non-pub post is this. Might as well stop complaining and post.

Anyways, I find Clan culture to be rather streamlined, and similar to the setup of Feudal-Era Japan. Solving disputes over set battles is a decent way of settling arguments between the subfactions, and design sharing is both common and rare at the same time. It's impressive, in my mind. However, they are (Or seem to be), all things considered, more than a little bit... "Challenged" when it comes to accepting the premise the Inner Sphere reprisents. Granted, tech wise (And some may argue culture wise), the Inner Sphere was/is years behind the Clans. I'm still confused as to why the reaction to this is to burn all the Freebirth Worlds, simply because I've primarily invested in only the Mech-based lore of the series, but the answer should make more sense.

The Crusader clans didn't want to burn the IS, they wanted to conquer it. Conquered worlds were usually treated quite well by the Clans.

The Warden clans didn't agree with the war machine methods of the Crusaders.

The SJs as Square mentioned were the only clan to 'burn' a planet and that was Turtle Bay, whose populace really didn't like clan rule and decided to make things rough on the SJs. The SJs in turn used Turtle Bay as an example. This was instantly seen as a very poor decision and led to SJ being virtually wiped out.

Clans are a bit "challenged' when it comes to the IS culture. They have after been taught their whole lives that the IS is bad at life and requires clan guidance. The clans have a very much US Government thought. They feel the need to rule Terra and the entire IS to basically protect the IS from itself.
My milk shakes!

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2013, 12:19:38 AM »
The Clans initially believed that the Inner Sphere had destroyed itself back to the Stone Age (something that ComStar wishes the Successor States would do (and tries to help them along with), so they could play Jesus and come save everyone from themselves). The Wolf's Dragoons mercenaries were sent to the Sphere in the early 3000's to gather intelligence on the state of the Inner Sphere. The intel they sent back indicated that the Sphere, while technologically regressed quite severely, was actually rather stable and not in fact, on the verge of total collapse.

The Clan intelligence on the Sphere cuts off rather suddenly somewhere around the 3020-3030's by order of then Khan Kherlin Ward, something that will make life difficult for Natasha Kerensky in the 50's when she answers the call to return to Strana Mechty following the death of the IlKhan.

With all that in mind, at this point in time the Clans have been isolated from the Sphere for nearly 300 years, and the culture Nicholas Kerensky devised has total hold on how the Clans operate, and as we've seen so many time in real world history, anyone who doesn't act the way you act is clearly a barbarian who must be shown the light of "true" civilisation  ::). While there are some Sphere residents who earn the respect of the Clans (Phelan Kell, Kai Allard-Liao, Victor Steiner-Davion and a few lesser known characters), the majority of the Sphere are still regarded as barbarians, though processes that are constantly reinforced by the Sphere's "dishonourable conduct" in battle, in the negotiation of battle, and how the Houses conduct themselves in general.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2013, 02:27:47 AM »
I'd also add that my narcissism is pretty obvious, I wouldn't even attempt to hide it, I mean it's only out grossed by my self loathing.

...and this is why we get along so well.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2013, 05:29:19 AM »
Lets just say I grok myself.

I also masturbate.

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
  • And so it begins...
« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2013, 10:25:25 PM »
Thanks for that, Xarg Talasko. I've always been iffy on that subject- I got most canon relating to history secondhand, knowing mainly scattered facts. The only thing I 100% know for sure is that Mechassault's lore is sketchy, at best. And it's never at best.

Anyways, couldn't North Korea be a more direct comparison to the Clan's methods of making the warriors think the IS is inherently "Bad"?

Or am I spouting nonsense?
The cowardly Blood Asp pilot. What would you expect from a Newbie?

Gay furry, a tiger, specifically.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2013, 04:33:26 AM »
I personally find a reasonably solid comparison with the British Empire. They speak the same language, use the same tools, but quite clearly are not even remotely as civilised as we are..  ::)

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod