Author Topic: MWLL Tutorial Series (with doorknob)  (Read 19604 times)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
Re: MWLL Tutorial Series (with doorknob)
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »
Or Korbin.  He KSed me a few times in matches using JJs  :P
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 01:12:45 PM »
In light of the "JJs are useless" thread, maybe make a tutorial on Jump Jets?

I think that one of the best ways to demonstrate the worth of JJs is to take heavy damage while attempting to capture a point on ThunderRift, in say, a Scat, and then JJ away to saftey quickly out of the line of fire (down the hill).  I've used this countless times.

Oh and poptarting should be included, obviously! but perhaps there is not a lot to talk about with pop-tarting, except heat management.
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 01:47:30 PM »
Oh and poptarting should be included, obviously! but perhaps there is not a lot to talk about with pop-tarting, except heat management.

Well you could also mention things like... when to poptart and when not to; that you should always try to jump in an arc relative to your enemy's position, to make it harder for them to aim at you.

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
I just learned something already  ;D

I don't poptart much but I know from experience there are definitely bad times to launch yourself in the air and expose yourself like that.  So I think you'd have plenty of material.
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »
Some infight manouvers with jjs? (osiris^^)
JJ away from cornered position at wall ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 08:57:11 PM »
The biggest advance JJ technique is to know that the JJs are tied to your Torso direction and not your legs.  This allow a mech to do a 90 degree movement shift very quickly.  Biggest defensive movement with JJs is how to jump INTO cover and not just using them to try and dodge.

Offline doorknob

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 08:05:14 PM »
I don't know how I did it, but I've picked up a major buzz/hum in my microphone. It is in everything I record now. This appeared when I downloaded some software (procaster, flash media encoder) to try and do live streams in preparation for the TotJ. At this point, I am unable to use my microphone for anything at all, including teamspeak, and I have no idea how to fix what is causing the issue. The only thing that my technically proficient friends are able to recommend at this point is that I get a separate sound card, and a better quality mic than my cheapo GE headset/mic combo, something which I cannot afford to do now, and probably will not be able to afford at any point that the budget can foresee (and the budget currently goes through 2013!).

Sadly, until the issue is resolved, there will be no more content coming from my end.

If anyone has any advice in this regard, please let know ASAP. I am going crazy trying to get this fixed, and the internet is not being helpful at all.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »
have you tried turning off the microphone boost?  Sometimes that pushes the gain pick up a lot of background buzz.

Offline doorknob

• Recruit
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »
Microphone boost is at 0, microphone volume is set at 40, and I do not have 'listen to this device' checked (as that causes immediate and painful feedback).

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 09:02:26 PM »
1) Turn the fan/AC off in your room.

2) Install other software that overrides the software you just installed.

"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline doorknob

• Recruit
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »
No fan. No AC.

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 11:33:06 PM »
Do you have a radio or TV cable connected to your pc? Any other devices conncted?
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline doorknob

• Recruit
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 12:53:32 AM »
No radio or TV connected to the machine. The only thing the box is directly connected to is the router.

Other things I have tried:
  -- Uninstall/reinstall/update of audio drivers
  -- Uninstall of all programs from the machine from the time around when the problem was noticed
  -- System restore to a point before the problem existed
  -- Moved microphone from front jack to rear jack, also tried using line-in port instead of mic jack

I haven't blown out the innards in a while, though I did do some blowing out of the top, front and side fans before the problem cropped up. That was going to be my next step.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Please keep them coming. I'm about ready to pull what little hair I have out.

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 02:46:43 AM »
Have you pinpointed the source of the problem? Used the mic with another PC? Or another mic with yours? Maybe the microphone is somehow damaged. If so, even a cheap replacement should fix the problem.
If not, you might check your sound-hardware (boot with some live-CD and use the microphone). If that works too, your problem should be software-based.

By the way: A very cheap USB-soundcard could help you too (tiny thing for 10$ or less). I have one of these lying around at all times, comes in handy once in a while.

Offline doorknob

• Recruit
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 04:15:29 AM »
Any solution that involves any amount of money is not a solution I can take advantage of, sadly. I have yet to identify the exact issue, but I will be taking further efforts later this evening when I get home from work.