Author Topic: MWLL Tutorial Series (with doorknob)  (Read 19355 times)

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
Re: MWLL Tutorial Series (with doorknob)
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:56 AM »
I bought a new headset for my laptop a while ago, it cost less than 2 (great thing, a lot better than most of the others i had). I would just mail it to you if it wasn't for the distance :P.

But you should really find out where your problem is coming from before thinking about any kind of countermeasures.

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »
Did you try disabling and reenabeling your microphone in the windows sound configuration already?
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Have you damaged the microphone cable? Like maybe rolling a chair wheel over the mic cable on the floor. Mic signals are very low level signals. Typically in unbalanced mic circuits, the external noise shielding is accomplished by a metal foil shield connected to a good system ground on your PC. This metal foil shield is wrapped around and along the length of the mic wires and provides a good attenuation of higher frequency signal coupling. Check the physical integrity of the mic cable.

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline doorknob

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 09:22:03 PM »
Okay, now this is weird.

I decided to just bugger off and not worry about it last night after I got home from work, had a nice relaxing evening of doing pretty much nothing, and came back to the problem this morning in the ten minutes I had before work. I unplugged the headset and handed it to my girlfriend to plug into her computer to try it one final time on her machine before just throwing it way. She plugged it, and at first it was doing the same crap, but after a minute, it all cleared up and she handed it back to me. I plugged it in, and now the damned thing is fine on this end as well, at least on initial testing (Windows Sound Recorder, no buzz, no hum).

So, it sounds like the thing just needed a female touch.  :o

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2011, 09:24:15 PM »
There's something wrong with the cable or the jack.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2011, 09:27:11 PM »
Okay, now this is weird.

I decided to just bugger off and not worry about it last night after I got home from work, had a nice relaxing evening of doing pretty much nothing, and came back to the problem this morning in the ten minutes I had before work. I unplugged the headset and handed it to my girlfriend to plug into her computer to try it one final time on her machine before just throwing it way. She plugged it, and at first it was doing the same crap, but after a minute, it all cleared up and she handed it back to me. I plugged it in, and now the damned thing is fine on this end as well, at least on initial testing (Windows Sound Recorder, no buzz, no hum).

So, it sounds like the thing just needed a female touch.  :o

I am assuming the plug on your headset is a 3.5mm. Many times when plugs are left in their jack couplings for a long time the electrical connection can degrade. This can be attributed to some minor corrosion on the plug or in the jack. The act of pulling out the plug can cause a wiping action that will clean the electrical contact metal just enough to make a good electrical connection. Try plugging it in and out a few times, if this problem rears its ugly head again.

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
lol, nice fix.  Can't wait for the next update!

Offline doorknob

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 05:43:37 AM »
Once I have the Terrain Control for tomorrow (5/10) done, I'm going to start work on the missile tutorial. I'll be needing help with that one, for both targets and shooters.

If you can aid with this tomorrow between the hours of noon and six (pacific time, GMT -8), please drop me a line and I'll set up a time and a place to lob some ordnance around.

Offline nordwars

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 02:08:10 PM »
I could help out tonight from what I work out to be between 16:15 and 18:00 your time (22:15 and 00:00 my time BST). Let me know if that is useful to you, and where to meet (I'm usually on the 7.WD or Outreach TS3 servers anyway).

Hopefully I got those time conversions right.
Independent MWLL Merc since Jan 12 2010.

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »
Also available, I'll also pop into Outreach TS3

Edit: Should really read posts more thoroughly, drop me a PM with where and when
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:40:55 PM by Gouty »
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline Seraph

• Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +124/-1
    • The Living Legends Mercenary Unit
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »
Very nice work. Looking forward to see the additions doorknob :)
Seraph - "The Can Man"
In the heat of battle, legends are born ...

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2011, 05:15:16 AM »
Very nicely done and very helpful for newcomers like me (especially the AC tutorial). I have high hopes for the missile tutorial as well.

I would also love to help with any recording assistance or target practice. Don't be afraid to send a PM!

Offline Draekros

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
  • Beware the Undead Ninja Wabbits...
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2011, 05:22:50 AM »
Yeah - the AC tut was good - but I still suck with them  :P. Give me an LBX20 at 20m & I won't miss though  :P But then again I lag pretty badly when playing from the other side of Terra. If I can hit anything with a direct fire weapon more than a hundred metres away, I'm happy  8)

Keep these tutorials coming doorknob!  :)

12th Vegan Rangers. Beta Regiment.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2011, 05:35:46 AM »
Simply drill a hole through the center of the earth to us

Way faster than going around the thing

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2011, 10:26:34 AM »
Simply drill a hole through the center of the earth to us

Way faster than going around the thing

What's that got to do with the price of fish?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.