Author Topic: MWLL Tutorial Series (with doorknob)  (Read 19630 times)

Offline Ghogiel

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
Re: MWLL Tutorial Series (with doorknob)
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2011, 12:38:14 PM »
You have captured me being a noob for all eternity in the banking repairs tutorial.  There's me: "HOW YOU TRANSFER MONEY?"  :P  ::)

Obviously I hadn't been watching your tutorials  ;D

In my defence that was my first time playing MWLL the other day. Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it.

on a side note: I think I actually managed 1 kill on that game. Might have been the one epic battle I had where I took out the opposing teams point leader who was in a loki while I was in light mech. After that crowning moment, I think MWLL had me hooked.  8)

edit: noobin out again.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:53:06 PM by Ghogiel »

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »
CAPS LOCK RAWR

:P

Offline doorknob

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2011, 04:40:27 PM »
You have captured me being a noob for all eternity in the banking repairs tutorial.  There's me: "HOW YOU TRANSFER MONEY?"  :P  ::)

Obviously I hadn't been watching your tutorials  ;D

Hey, as long as you figured it out, it's all good. Now get back out there and let me put some more holes in your ride.

Also, Missiles Part One. Spoiler: I like Streak SRMs.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2011, 05:46:20 PM »
Definitely better at LRMs than me :-X

I'd rather throw them at the enemy

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2011, 05:51:12 PM »
Another nice video, thanks doorknob! :)

I am not sure why but i always thought the minimum range for LRMs would be 300m (meaning that they are unable to move in an arc that is shorter than that). Is it really only 100m? When you said that in your video and tried to prove it yourself it didn't look that way, your missiles missed the target by far.
But it seems like "minimum range" is not necessarily equal to "minimum range". Didn't know about the clan-versions being better in that regard, but will they hit a target 50m away from you? Or will they just arc over it?

PS: Love SSRMs myself but for me it seems like you should aim a little further into the path of your target (even when locked on) because they are quite bad in changing direction. Is that another delusion of mine?

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2011, 05:57:49 PM »
It all depends on relative elevation

That BA was about 180 meters away and it got smeared because it was high up, while the mech at 300 meters didn't get hit because it was under him and the missiles had to drop farther to reach him, which takes more distance

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2011, 07:10:01 PM »
That BA got F'ed in the A, and deserves it for forgetting rule number one as a BA - keep moving!

Yet another great video, can't wait to see part 2, especially the Arrow finale!
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline doorknob

• Recruit
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
Another nice video, thanks doorknob! :)

No: Thank you.

I am not sure why but i always thought the minimum range for LRMs would be 300m (meaning that they are unable to move in an arc that is shorter than that). Is it really only 100m? When you said that in your video and tried to prove it yourself it didn't look that way, your missiles missed the target by far.

But it seems like "minimum range" is not necessarily equal to "minimum range". Didn't know about the clan-versions being better in that regard, but will they hit a target 50m away from you? Or will they just arc over it?

The minimum range I talk about is the range at which the missiles arm. With IS LRMs, if the target is within 100m and you still manage to hit, you'll do no/minimal damage. Clan LRMs arm when they come out of the tube, which means you can fire them point blank, as demonstrated. It also means that if you're trying to snipe from behind cover, and your missiles hit the rock/wall you're hiding behind, the splash is going to damage you. Try not to do that.

As far as 'minimum effective range' goes, I have no idea what it actually is, and it's going to vary based on what kind of shot you're trying to take. I generally don't fire at anything less than 200m away and expect to hit, which is the reason I took the shot in the video while jumping (though that may have been hard to determine from the camera footage), because it increases your range to the target. That may not be the correct way to do it.

PS: Love SSRMs myself but for me it seems like you should aim a little further into the path of your target (even when locked on) because they are quite bad in changing direction. Is that another delusion of mine?

No, that is not a delusion. At least I don't think it is. I generally try to lead the target by about half a width (and a little high) if they're moving anywhere on the perpendicular to me, even with lock, and that tends to give me the success that I love so much. I wasn't kidding when I suggested SSRMs as a good starter weapon, they're incredibly forgiving to being a poor shot.  ;D

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2011, 08:24:15 PM »
Well then, thanks for the clarification. I'm looking forward to your dumbfire-video :).

Offline Warhammer WHM-6R

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »
Awesome that you are doing this tutorial series man! the vids are good and simple enough for new players. Will you also be covering NARCS? Also good to note is the difference of firing when active or passive even though you did touch on that with SSRMs. Also I think the minimum range and the arc range of LRMs are maybe something that could be retouched because of the importance of that concept. This might be best explained with a very boring side view with 2 actors that stand still while one missiles the other and then vary the distance.

Overall though great stuff!

Bondsman of the Clan Jade Falcon

Offline Caylin

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2011, 08:13:57 PM »
:) Thanks for the videos.  Having watched them all, I feel more prepared to give this game a try.

Offline Overon

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2011, 01:43:05 AM »
Have you stopped doing the tutorials?  But you previewed part 11...

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »
I guess I haven't really said it yet, but I really appreciated the tutorials.

Offline CGB [NoXoN]

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 11:02:14 PM »
I guess I haven't really said it yet, but I really appreciated the tutorials.

What he said!

Offline doorknob

• Recruit
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »
Have you stopped doing the tutorials?  But you previewed part 11...

For now, yes, I have stopped doing videos. When I am back in production, it will be advertised in the same place it always is.