Author Topic: Organizing Random 5v5 Scrims  (Read 9306 times)

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
Organizing Random 5v5 Scrims
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »
I think we could have a lot more informal 5v5s in MWLL, I think the interest is there.  We just need to organize it to make it happen.

When I was playing CS competitively, there were nights when I would do nothing but 5v5 scrims for several hours in a row, one scrim after another.  In order to make that happen though, a large reserve of ringers was necessary.

So here’s my idea:

If you are available and would like to scrim (i.e. you have the right VOIP program and enough time to finish), log on to some arbitrary meeting place, I think a #MWLL Scrim channel on mIRC would work best.  Once enough people were active in the channel, then they go scrim and then happily post about it in the “your memorable moments” thread.

What we would primarily need are folks with admin access to private servers...can’t scrim without a server.  I think enough units have opened their teamspeak servers up to the public that we don’t have to worry about that, and there are always free VOIP servers easily googlable (as long as you can deal with the harassment that comes with a free server).

What do you guys think?

Oh, and I realize this might be better off in one of the other forums, but I wanted it to have a higher profile because a lot of folks don’t check those forums.  If one of you fine moderators wish to move it, so be it!
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline [Wie AG] Ranger

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • Clan Wolf in Exile
Re: Organizing Random 5v5 Scrims
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »
I don't want to speak out of line but I'm sure PhelanKell would do something like this.  We could probably get a few Wolves in Exile on at an organized time.
Live the Journey.

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
Glad to hear there is at least some interest. =D

The way I was envisioning it was more of an informal thing.  For example there is a KoS, 4 SJ, a 12thVR, a couple WiE, a Dragoon or two, and some unaffiliated players in the #MWLL Scrim channel.  10 of us are active and available to play a scrim, so we throw two teams together by whatever method folks want to use, get some combat terms and a map decided, and then go play.  It wouldn’t have to necessarily be 5 from one unit vs. 5 from another (but obviously it could be if it worked out that way).  It wouldn’t even have to necessarily be 5v5, we could just divide up the teams as evenly as possible.

The goal of this is just to make organizing 5v5 scrims easier, and maybe providing an opportunity for unaffiliated folks to get a taste of organized play without having to commit to a unit (without having to commit to anything really).  People have expressed some boredom with pubs, and there are a lot of folks who have never tried 5v5 so they don’t know what they are missing.
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline 7.[WD]Ragor

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +111/-3
  • Maj.7thWolf'sDragoons a.D.
    • 7th. Regiment 'eta' Wolf Dragoons

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
what server is the MWLLScrim on? Might be helpful for that, quiaff? I am in MWLLScrim on quakenet.

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:10:25 PM »
That one will work =D.  I've only used mIRC to get ringers in CS honestly, so I know nothing about setting up and registering channels to get admin and whatnot, I was hoping someone else with the knowhow could jump in on that.

Ragor I saw that BApocalypse thread, but only skimmed it as I don't have much interest in BA-only fights.  Is there something in there that ties in with this thread?  I just skimmed it again and didn't catch anything, my apologies if I'm just being lazy and overlooking something obvious.

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »
Sure, i will see what i can do about registering the channel.

I think Ragor was under the impressions it was 5vs5 BA not just a all out 5vs5 take what you will

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 09:17:21 PM »
hmm interesting. I'm in the process of moving the 12thVR server, but I wouldn't mind volunteering it for this [we really only use it for official matches].  If we could make a list of "Scrim Masters" I could give them Rcon access to the server so they could setup as needed (don't want to give it to everyone).

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »
That'd be awesome Square, but of course only if you're comfortable with it.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »
We were already thinking about it before but weren't sure if there would be enough people interested ;)

Offline =CJW= Zone Warden (W)

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-4
  • Sucky sucky whammy whammy
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 11:12:34 PM »
I can't vouch for the rest of my Clan, but I'd be down for this. I'm on most nights over the weekend for a good few hours at a time and I find myself pulling my face off at some pub games. I need organised team work to survive!
Call and they will come.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 11:15:08 PM »
We were already thinking about it before but weren't sure if there would be enough people interested ;)

:D yep, we were going to call it "Open Merc Night"

Offline Sean Lang "Phil"

• MWLL Contributor
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
  • "Life for others is worth my sacrifice"
    • Clan Wolf in Exile: Alpha Galaxy
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 12:55:16 AM »
I don't want to speak out of line but I'm sure PhelanKell would do something like this.  We could probably get a few Wolves in Exile on at an organized time.

The wolf pack is never far behind! Deity, WiE would be stoked to get some team non-official matches going. We have a dedicated teamspeak 3 server, so that solves the comms issue. Let me ask my guys what day is best, probably Sat-Sun. We can do 5v5 and higher, so that would be sweet. Be a good first test for our relatively  new Clan.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 01:00:47 AM »
Well this is mostly for "pickup" 5v5.  I think you're actually looking a real scrim ;)

We should probably figure out how to cycle people in after round so everyone gets a chance.  My suggestion is "winner stays on" like back in the arcades, other wise they can choose to disperse and reform teams. The 12thVR server is a 16 slot, so 5v5 works out well with 6 slots for watchers.

Offline =CJW= Zone Warden (W)

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-4
  • Sucky sucky whammy whammy
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 01:10:59 AM »
I could even cap some footage when I'm not skrimming and make some nifty little videos to post up for the community.

Call and they will come.