Author Topic: Open Merc Night! (organized pick up matches)  (Read 21545 times)

Offline Sean Lang "Phil"

• MWLL Contributor
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
  • "Life for others is worth my sacrifice"
    • Clan Wolf in Exile: Alpha Galaxy
Re: Open Merc Night! (organized pick up matches)
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
Ya, keep in mind with everyone being on comms, the server admins can literally change things/settings on the fly. It is really that easy, and matches were one after the other last night!

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 06:29:32 PM »
anyone fraps the games?

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 08:15:08 PM »
Things have been going great, especially for only doing it for a whole two nights so far =D.

People have some good points though.  We could definitely speed things up a fair bit and get some more explosions happening.  I think if we cut out some of the downtime, we would have even more people playing.  I want our first PuG 10v10 =D.

These are just suggestions that worked pretty well; I think one of the best things about the OMN is the casual atmosphere, so the last thing we need is for me to come Nazi it up.  Most of these we were doing last night so we know they work.

Don’t worry about the starting c-bills being set or the map selection – that stuff takes two seconds.  We haven’t really had problems with these items being serious sources of delays.  The convo usually goes, “what c-bills do we want?  We just did 75k, wanna bump it up to 85?  Ok, 100k works let’s do that.”  And likewise with the maps…”we haven’t tried extremity yet, wanna go there?  Oh you don’t like that one, ok how about Mirage?”  This is working great I think.

The major sources of delay come from:

-figuring out who is playing
-waiting on people who are coming back in just a few minutes
-buying ‘mechs at start, although this got a lot faster later in the night.

How to fix this:

If you want to play (ALL ARE WELCOME), just join the teamspeak server.  Go into a channel with people in it and figure out which MWLL server people are on.  The server may vary, but the password will always be fight_club, and chances are it will be the only locked/private server with people playing. 

Respectfully make yourself known in TS3 (i.e. don’t interrupt comms if they are in combat), and just autojoin a team as long as the game isn’t in progress.  If there is a game in progress, just stay spectating until the next one.

The way this works best is we decide a map and c-bills, switch the map, have everyone autojoin the server just to see who is there, and then when we confirm that everyone is ready we restart the map.  Nobody joins a team until it is confirmed that everyone is loaded in (takes 2 seconds on a map restart), and then someone does a countdown.  “3, 2, 1, join” and we all click autojoin at the same time.  Then we split up TS3 channels according to the teams, and proceed to buy ‘mechs / plan “strategery.”

When the game is over, everyone consolidates into one teamspeak channel again, and we talk about how fapping awesome the game we just played was, and ask those burning questions like, “did you know I was hiding behind that hill waiting for you?”  If you can’t alt-tab or don’t want to, a teamspeak admin will drag you to the right channel.

Rinse, wash repeat.

When buying your ‘mechs, I found the best thing to do is just have some guys buy whatever they want, then pass leftover cash to one or two other guys.  These games have absolutely no meaning other than providing us with a good time, so don’t worry if the ‘mech you’re about to buy isn’t the most optimal asset possible.

All this stuff worked really well last night.  If we can speed things up, we can get a lot more rounds in.  I propose that we not wait for people as a general rule unless everyone wants to take a bio break.  These games happen pretty quickly, so the person we are waiting for can just jump in on the next one.  What we don’t want to happen is have one guy leave because we ate up all his time waiting on another guy.

One more note:  This TS3 is an extremely open and friendly environment.  Let’s keep any unit or personal disputes and strong opinions about game mechanics or whatever out of it.  We’re all just here to have some laid back but organized fun.  Everyone has been seriously awesome about this so far.
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 08:45:23 PM »
Also, even teams are nice, but not necessary.

I'd rather play a 6v7 than a 6v6 with someone sitting out.

The team with the extra player can always compensate by not spending all of their cash, at their discretion.
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline ratbuddy

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +76/-1
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »
Or just have someone on the team with an extra player take a wacky unit and screw around. That's when I have the most fun... although....

Anyone happen to fraps the long tomfoolery on clearcut?

Offline Cygma

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +65/-1
    • 7th Regiment Wolfs Dragoons
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 11:15:30 PM »
I like the whole idea and will be certainly be joining when i have the time :)
<Insert cool content here>

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 12:38:01 AM »
Or just have someone on the team with an extra player take a wacky unit and screw around. That's when I have the most fun... although....

Anyone happen to fraps the long tomfoolery on clearcut?
I still hate you for that >:(

Wacky units = Osiris Prime, Bushy Prime and Loki A
YOU MUST CHOOSE THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONE OF THESE YOU CAN AFFORD :P

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 04:47:41 PM »
Let's try and get something going tonight, we should be able to get the numbers.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »
Hellz yeah

Offline Cik

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-2
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »
we should do this again asap.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 10:07:46 PM »
Damn Cik, it's pretty late over at your place
I was planning on doing it at 6 or something today (4:00 right now), but getting one going right now could be a possibility

We'll need a server mod though, so if Deity, Square or anyone else who would offer their own server is around, we can get it going

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 01:57:34 AM »
Starting up now!  Come on in!

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 02:00:57 AM »
GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO

Offline neongod

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
    • Clan Wolf
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 03:24:48 AM »
When is the next one of these?

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 04:35:59 AM »
Right now

I get to miss it due to someone else needing the computer >:( :'(