Author Topic: Drop Calculator on Google Docs - Final Edition  (Read 20390 times)

Offline Snyp3r

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
  • Boom! Legshot!
Re: Drop Calculator on Google Docs
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 12:02:23 AM »
Updated. Added ammo calculators, some other miscellaneous features, and a more detailed instructions page. All calculators are sized for 16 players now (easily changed, if you're so inclined), and there's Compact and Simple versions with some of the features stripped for the sake of space.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?hl=en&key=tCnycYMC5OrxZQqqXRUC2UQ

Offline VictorMorson

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-27
  • WANTED: 24 counts of base rape and dismemberment.
Re: Drop Calculator on Google Docs - Now with ammo!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 03:10:42 AM »
One last update on how to make the calculator easier to use for drops.

You can easily copy sheets. 

i.e. once you have your own personal copy of the Calculator saved to your google docs, you can simply right click any sheets (such as the 16 player drop), name it anything you want (i.e. "Tuesday's Drops") and then edit it indefinitely, or even delete it, without impacting the original sheet. 

We plan on updating the sheet when the next build comes out, but it was built so that anybody could edit it if necessary, to remove fears of the calculator becoming abandonware, or simply not updated like some similarly featured calculators available right now are.

EDIT:  Major props to Snyper for this, by the way.  I had planned to make the google doc version of this myself, on a very simple "Chassis Columns, Variants Rows, put the # in you want of each" method, and he took the whole concept and created something far, far more well polished than I ever even remotely planned out of it.
I will personally hunt you down and poptart your leg while your back is turned and you're in your base.

Offline Snyp3r

• Recruit
  • Boom! Legshot!
Re: Drop Calculator on Google Docs - Now with ammo!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »
I'll be getting this updated for 0.5 as soon as I can, probably during Monday/Tuesday, just been too busy this weekend to do it.

Offline Snyp3r

• Recruit
  • Boom! Legshot!

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
Re: Drop Calculator on Google Docs - MWLL 0.5 edition
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 05:10:51 AM »
Hmmm I thought clan ammo cost were different from IS, am I just imagining that?

Offline Snyp3r

• Recruit
  • Boom! Legshot!
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 05:15:38 AM »
Yeah. All the ammo prices there are from the price dump console command added in 0.5, but I don't think they've changed from 0.4.9 where Clan/IS prices were still the same. I included the ATM-E prices since they're in the dump, even though, as far as I can tell, they're not used in-game yet. If anything looks suspicious though, feel free to look it up and let us know if it's wrong, there's a good chance we made some errors somewhere along the way.

Offline Snyp3r

• Recruit
  • Boom! Legshot!
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 09:47:30 PM »
Giving this a bump, I haven't abandoned it, still trying to keep it updated and fixed!

Offline Snyp3r

• Recruit
  • Boom! Legshot!
Re: Drop Calculator on Google Docs - Now with tonnage!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 07:58:03 AM »
Updated to version 0.4.0.: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiThWaDcTIbIdHlTazVDa2tOZXA3THNsaDNuOWladGc

Added tonnage calculators and some simple inventory tracking features we thought we might end up needing for the league. Also added equipment information to the calculators alongside weapon information, and reformatted all sheet fonts to be smaller and easier to read on lower-resolution screens (and probably high-res ones, too). The mini calculator is more mini than ever before, and should fit more comfortably on tiny netbook screens. And because both Fred and Morson were making the mistake, "Bushwhacker" is now an acceptable typo, and will still be recognized by the calculator.

I also provided both 8 and 16 player versions of each calculator by default. This clutters things up a little bit, but you are of course free to delete (or simply hide) any sheets except the Inner Sphere, Clan, Ammo & BA, and DataTables sheets (which are required for functionality).

As always, please report bugs, errors, or feature requests in this thread or via PM.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »
Cool

I never DL'd the other one cuz you had to jump through a bunch of hoops and shit
Will give this one a try when I'm back home 8)

Offline VictorMorson

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-27
  • WANTED: 24 counts of base rape and dismemberment.
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 04:23:05 AM »
Cool

I never DL'd the other one cuz you had to jump through a bunch of hoops and shit
Will give this one a try when I'm back home 8)

It should be pretty simple to get going.  Just head to the sheet, then go to File and make a copy, which will instantly make a sheet for you in your own Google docs folder.  Then you're good to go.  It sure helps me get drops going much, much faster than I'd ever be able to by hand, or even with some of the other calculators.
I will personally hunt you down and poptart your leg while your back is turned and you're in your base.

Offline Priest

• MWLL Contributor
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
  • Good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
I'm going to check this out; looks like some work went into it, and never hurts to have a cool calculator sheet.  Always looking for new things; got to love google docs.

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 04:05:06 PM »
Is this still alive?

I downloaded the spreadsheet, made some changes to make it compatible with OpenOffice and wanted to update the asset-information. But I can't seem to find out where the calculator gets its information about the kinds of ammunition that can be bought. Data of the Thanatos A is updated so it doesn't carry an HGauss anymore, but the calculator still wants to buy HGauss-ammo. Any idea how to fix that?

The spreadsheet only seems to work in Microsoft Excel 2007 or newer, took me quite a while to find out that every other version/clone of Excel is missing a function.

EDIT: I found the hidden sheet that contains the data for buyable ammunition. Didn't even know sheets could be hidden :P.
Aside from double checking the free tons and the amount of heatsinks I updated everything for the newest MWLL version. If I ever get around to complete the work, I will provide the spreadsheet here. (I changed the behavior of the asset-lists a little bit to make it more comfortable to update. But aside from that I merely updated the data and improved compatibility with older Excel versions as well as OpenOffice. Hopefully that is something the author(s) can agree with.)

Offline Snyp3r

• Recruit
  • Boom! Legshot!
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 04:18:51 AM »
Hey there. Yeah, I'm going to update this once 0.5.4 rolls around. The only documented change I remember for 0.5.2/0.5.3 was a Raven loadout, so I didn't bother to check anything else against the actual game. Didn't know the Thanatos and such got changed (I've been playing Battlefield).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:31:38 AM by =KH= Snyp3r »

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 09:22:54 AM »
Here a list of things I changed:

The backwards compatibility was achieved by replacing every call to IFERROR (seemingly only available in Office 2007 and newer) by a proper IF-function.

IFERROR(VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(B6;" ";"");TTable;2;FALSE());"")
became
IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(B6;" ";"");TTable;2;0));"";VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(B6;" ";"");TTable;2;0))

This way everything works fine in older versions of Office as well as OpenOffice.

I also updated all the data, except the following:
Sheet „Inner Sphere“: free tons, heatsinks
Sheet „Clan“: free tons, heatsinks
Sheet „Ammo_BA“: columns A-D (has to be synchronized with the hidden sheet)

In addition I tried to automate a portion of the vehicle-lists. There is a hidden column now (Q for me) containing information about the equipment of a 'Mech, read out of the game data by a Python script available somewhere here in the forum. I wanted to automate the rest, too, but I didn't have the time back then.

A nice thing to add would be the ability to handle data like "2xClan_ER_Medium_Beam_Laser; 1xClan_DualStreakSRM4; " to set the weapons available for a vehicle. Again, that data comes directly from the game files and an update to a newer version of MWLL would only take a couple of minutes with this.
Another nice thing would be a combobox (a popup list or whatever else it may be called) wherever one can enter a vehicle name. It is not always clear how to spell the names of vehicles correctly.

Thanks a lot for creating this file, Snyp3r. It looks a little bit complicated to use at first but is really a nice and handy tool. I hope you are able to use my changes somehow.

Offline Snyp3r

• Recruit
  • Boom! Legshot!
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 06:29:32 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing dude, I'll get all the updates merged over to Google Docs sometime within the next week for sure. Once that's done, I'll post up the original Excel document too for folks who want to use it in an external spreadsheet application, since Google Docs loses some things in translation when you import/export.

A nice thing to add would be the ability to handle data like "2xClan_ER_Medium_Beam_Laser; 1xClan_DualStreakSRM4; " to set the weapons available for a vehicle. Again, that data comes directly from the game files and an update to a newer version of MWLL would only take a couple of minutes with this.
Yeah, something like this would be nice, but I have no idea what would be a good way to handle it. If I had knowledge of Python I might be able to modify the script you're talking about (although I didn't even know it existed, actually) to convert it to a more user-friendly format, but I'm not sure how else to do it.

In any case, just having a tool like that to extract the mech info from the game would make this trivially easy for me to keep updated, even after big patches. Going through the document and making the changes doesn't take me more than an hour or two, the really time consuming part was painstakingly going through the in-game buy menu and copying down the data. :P

Another nice thing would be a combobox (a popup list or whatever else it may be called) wherever one can enter a vehicle name. It is not always clear how to spell the names of vehicles correctly.
This is definitely possible, and I toyed with it in the past, but I ended up ditching it because dropdown lists don't work with Google Docs. Another problem I had with it was that the list got to be pretty long with all the vehicles that are in the game and could be pretty unwieldy. I messed around with adding drop down menus for Clan/IS selection and weight class selection too to narrow it down better, but after that it was just so much slower than typing it in manually.

If I could easily add some type of auto-complete where it would drop down a list of suggestions based on what you entered, I totally would do that, but I don't know of any way to do that.