Author Topic: How to create a wiki  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Gremlich

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +42/-1
    • Clan Blood Spirit
How to create a wiki
« on: May 26, 2011, 12:19:35 AM »
That is a question. The wiki is great on telling you how to edit a wiki page, but I have yet to find how to even start one.

CBS is interested in starting one, however, the instructions assumes much in the way of foreknowledge of a potential poster.

"New wiki" or "Start your wiki here" would be very useful on the clans and units wiki page for the sub-par computer literate. All the instructions on how to edit are straight forward, missing is how to begin from "nothing".
“Fail to honor people, they fail to honor you; but of a good leader, who talks little, when his work is done, his aims fulfilled, they will all say, 'We did this ourselves.'” -- Lao Tzu

Offline Cygma

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +65/-1
    • 7th Regiment Wolfs Dragoons
Re: How to create a wiki
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:32:23 AM »
You can create new pages e.g. by directly entering the URL like:
Code: [Select]
http://wiki.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?title=MyUberUnitThe MyUberUnit part is the page name.

Or you could use the search box - if there isn't a page with the name you entered it will show you:
Create the page "MyUberUnit" on this wiki!

Once you have the edit page open, paste the template stuff in, fill it out, press "preview" to see the results. Once you're happy with it press "save".

Worst case scenario: If you are not getting it to work yourself, send me the template data and text and i'll put it in.

Also check out the help for unit pages:
http://wiki.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?title=Help:Clans_and_Units
<Insert cool content here>

Offline Gremlich

• Lance Captain
    • Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 03:07:23 AM »
Much Grass! I'll give it a whirl.
“Fail to honor people, they fail to honor you; but of a good leader, who talks little, when his work is done, his aims fulfilled, they will all say, 'We did this ourselves.'” -- Lao Tzu

Offline Gremlich

• Lance Captain
    • Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 04:29:00 AM »
See if it worked

Offline Cygma

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +65/-1
    • 7th Regiment Wolfs Dragoons
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:41:05 AM »
Looks good. Two things though:
 * Wiki pages can & will be edited by more than one author, so writing in the first person isn't ideal
 * The image for unit pages needs to be 400px width minimum
<Insert cool content here>