Author Topic: 5.1 crashing  (Read 14545 times)

Offline sleepysheep

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +35/-0
  • I'm me deal with it
Re: 5.1 crashing
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2011, 11:14:40 AM »
Artemis, I definitely agree with everything you said but the interesting aspect of this test is that it may show that:

- The affirmation that says that 4Gb of ram on Win 7 64bit is enough for MWLL is false, you actually need enough virtual memory too in order to compensate the lack of free ram memory.

- The amount of memory needed by the game increases with time, shouldn’t it remain theoretically stable?

I used to run MWLL with 4gb, though it was slow as it had to page a lot. And yes, you definitely need virtual memory, which is why I was highly recommending never disabling your paging file. Even with 12GB windows still uses my paging file. It's just the way windows is, it needs it to work correctly.

I don't see the memory usage of my game increasing beyond a certain point. It usually caps out at 3 or 4 GB. That said, I'm not saying there isn't a memory leak, in fact, I'd be willing to bet there are a few, I just haven't noticed them in my testing (but I don't monitor the program's RAM usage constantly either)

And sleepysheep - while turning the paging file off may seem to work fine, it can, and will, cause problems for Windows itself and its memory management. I used to run without a paging for as well, but I started to notice weird hiccups when loading up a browser or game. Windows also loaded slowly. This was back in the XP days, mind you.

Still, I'm sure not having one will work fine when you have plenty of RAM for most cases, but I would still highly recommend that people don't disable their paging file, Windows is coded with having one in mind, so if it cannot find one, errors and crashes can occur, even with plenty of RAM installed.

Basimg that of xp, which has sucky memory management compared to win 7 is just dooming yourself. Xp had to have a pagefile, I agree, xp couldn't live without one. Win 7 doesn't care its better programmed. I get no errors, no loading probems and as someone who has rebooted their pc many times with it in and off, it doesnt effect boot time either.

Everyones beef with page file stems from the old days, and xp when not having a page file would cause xp to fall over. But this just isn't true anymore. Ofc if your ram is going to get maxed you should add more ram to your pc instead of using page file, afterall that's going to give increased performance.
While win 7 will indeed use the page file a tiny bit if its there it has no problem sticking it in the ram instead with page file turned off.

Once again im not saying everyone should turn it off ( I have it off only because of my ssd), leave it on if you have a hdd, but these myths about your pc going screwy with it off need to die and stay in the past!

Oh and in another thread someone was able to find some programs that didnt work with the page file turned off, but they wasn't games, and he has yet to tell me what they are.
Sandy 2500k @ 4.6ghz
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 V1.0 - Worst Motherboard ever.
2x GTX 580 3gb
8gb DDR3 dual channl 1600mhz
HX 1000W Corsair
Win 7 x64 Home Edition
5970x1200 Or 1920x1200 Triple Screen 26" Monitors
Dx10 Max settings 16xAF 8xAA

Offline Priest

• MWLL Contributor
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
  • Good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »
Well, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Atremis is correct with his assessment on the paging file and xp.  You don't turn it off, period.  It's not meant to be off, and for anyone to recommend that when your not aware of the level of experitise of the reader is unwise.

Yes, in new versions of windows, it can be a way to squeeze out a bit more performance, but there are several other things that should be visited first before you start getting down to that level. 

What might be a good idea is to create a thread that has a checklist of things to go through when running games in general to help boost performance.  You can do some small things; make sure your virus software is in sleep or game mode, things like turning off indexing and looking at unnessary programs in startup.  If your getting to the point where your messing with paging files just to make the game run, and you've exhausted all other possibilies, your better off with an upgrade than you are to continue tweaking.

I just think people need to be a bit careful about what they go recommend to people when it potentially could cause their systems not to function properly.

As far as where I am with my graphics settings, I always like to start out at a place I know it will work and then push it up from there.  That way I don't get to see where I could be and have it flaky, and then have to drop it down a few notches.  If I run it low and like it, and it runs great, it can only get better!

Offline sleepysheep

• Star Colonel
  • I'm me deal with it
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2011, 04:13:04 PM »
Well, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Atremis is correct with his assessment on the paging file and xp.  You don't turn it off, period.  It's not meant to be off, and for anyone to recommend that when your not aware of the level of experitise of the reader is unwise.

Yes, in new versions of windows, it can be a way to squeeze out a bit more performance, but there are several other things that should be visited first before you start getting down to that level. 

What might be a good idea is to create a thread that has a checklist of things to go through when running games in general to help boost performance.  You can do some small things; make sure your virus software is in sleep or game mode, things like turning off indexing and looking at unnessary programs in startup.  If your getting to the point where your messing with paging files just to make the game run, and you've exhausted all other possibilies, your better off with an upgrade than you are to continue tweaking.

I just think people need to be a bit careful about what they go recommend to people when it potentially could cause their systems not to function properly.

As far as where I am with my graphics settings, I always like to start out at a place I know it will work and then push it up from there.  That way I don't get to see where I could be and have it flaky, and then have to drop it down a few notches.  If I run it low and like it, and it runs great, it can only get better!

Reread what im said. I know xp doesn't like no page file, but most people here use win 7 for mwll and win 7 is the current windows.

I never said turning off the page file boosts performance. It doesn't. Just stops extra wear and tear on my ssd, and unlike xp it has no effect on the system.

It just pisses me off when people say it will ruin your pc, it wont, that's all I'm Saying.

And priest im just saying your not running it as well as you should. Maybe your cpu is holding you back but you should be able to raise those settings up. If you dont care if mwll looks uglier for no apparent reason then more power to you.

You can try my cfg file which is the base settings needed to make mwll run really well, sadly I cant copy and paste it here since im on my pad. If you find it change physics to 1 instead of 3 since you have a dual core. Might let you run at higher graphic settings!
Sandy 2500k @ 4.6ghz
2x GTX 580 3gb
HX 1000W Corsair
Win 7 x64 Home Edition

Offline Priest

• MWLL Contributor
  • Recruit
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »
I wasn't saying you were telling people to drop the page file, just want to make sure people don't misunderstand and go out and start tweaking unknowingly. Not many people running Solid State. I wish it gave a bit more boost than it does.

The game doesn't look too bad at medium, plus I'm just getting a feel for it again. I'm sure once I pump it up a bit I'll be very happily surprised how good it looks and wonder how I ever played it before.

I've got an evga nforce 790i SLI FTW (How could you not buy something with FTW in the name! lol).  I didn't go for a core 2 quad core at the time of the build (man, has it really been 3 years now?!  I need a new computer soon) because at the time they were pricey and there wasn't much I was doing that would have utilized the full potential of the Quad Core, so I went with a bit more clock speed on the dual core.

I definitely have some decent upgrades I could do with video. Ram at 8GB seems to be going well.. I started with 4GB way back when and upgraded to 8GB last year.

I haven't been playing much gaming on the PC since Call of Duty... and then went to the console last year and have been doing xbox exclusively, so the upgrades were never really needed.  For all the other graphics / etc.. that I do, it's been more than adequate.

Do you think a quad would make a big difference, still working with the core 2 chips?

Offline sleepysheep

• Star Colonel
  • I'm me deal with it
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »
I wasn't saying you were telling people to drop the page file, just want to make sure people don't misunderstand and go out and start tweaking unknowingly. Not many people running Solid State. I wish it gave a bit more boost than it does.

The game doesn't look too bad at medium, plus I'm just getting a feel for it again. I'm sure once I pump it up a bit I'll be very happily surprised how good it looks and wonder how I ever played it before.

I've got an evga nforce 790i SLI FTW (How could you not buy something with FTW in the name! lol).  I didn't go for a core 2 quad core at the time of the build (man, has it really been 3 years now?!  I need a new computer soon) because at the time they were pricey and there wasn't much I was doing that would have utilized the full potential of the Quad Core, so I went with a bit more clock speed on the dual core.

I definitely have some decent upgrades I could do with video. Ram at 8GB seems to be going well.. I started with 4GB way back when and upgraded to 8GB last year.

I haven't been playing much gaming on the PC since Call of Duty... and then went to the console last year and have been doing xbox exclusively, so the upgrades were never really needed.  For all the other graphics / etc.. that I do, it's been more than adequate.

Do you think a quad would make a big difference, still working with the core 2 chips?

Nope. With sandy so damn good, and the price for it not that ''expencive'' you would have to be insane to jump to a quad thats, that old! And since the CPU structure of the old quad cores is better, but not by much than a core 2, so you wouldn't notice much of a difference playing MWLL, however your PC would run better in general.

Oh since I got my pc working today, i can post my CFG file, make a file called autoexec.cfg (not autoexec.cfg.txt) and stick this in it. It should improve your fps.

con_restricted=0
sys_physics_CPU=1
sys_physics=1
e_lods=0
e_particles_thread=1
gpu_particle_physics=1
r_MultiGPU=1 <--- for SLI
r_MotionBlur=0
r_width=1920   <----Change to the width of your monitors res
r_Height=1200  <----Change to the height of your monitors res
r_displayinfo=0
r_TexturesStreaming=0
log_FileVerbosity=0
log_Verbosity=0

Get rid of the arrows and anything after it on that line of course :D
Sandy 2500k @ 4.6ghz
2x GTX 580 3gb
HX 1000W Corsair
Win 7 x64 Home Edition

Offline Priest

• MWLL Contributor
  • Recruit
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2011, 10:57:12 PM »
My thoughts as well on the CPU upgrade but always good to get a second opinion. At this point if I'm upgrading the board and processor the RAM will need it to and at that point might as well go all out and replace everything else since the upgrades are all going to be better. I'll have to did around new egg and see what I can put together.

I will try out the config file. My frame rate has been pretty consistently above 30 fps and typically into the high 40's. I need to hop into a full server tonight and see how it does.

Offline sleepysheep

• Star Colonel
  • I'm me deal with it
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2011, 11:22:37 PM »
My thoughts as well on the CPU upgrade but always good to get a second opinion. At this point if I'm upgrading the board and processor the RAM will need it to and at that point might as well go all out and replace everything else since the upgrades are all going to be better. I'll have to did around new egg and see what I can put together.

I will try out the config file. My frame rate has been pretty consistently above 30 fps and typically into the high 40's. I need to hop into a full server tonight and see how it does.

If your going to replace the motherboard and the ram, then I would go sandy. My friend went from a dual core 2, to sandy and well, I can't explain how happy and impressed hes been lol. I brought ram, motherboard and CPU for only £400, and I could of probably squeezed that down to £300 if I picked motherboard and ram carefully and shopped around and went for some cheaper stuff.

Staying with AMD is only worth it, if you are just changing the CPU, soon as you change the motherboard as well, it's not worth it.
Sandy 2500k @ 4.6ghz
2x GTX 580 3gb
HX 1000W Corsair
Win 7 x64 Home Edition

Offline Evgen

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2012, 08:29:59 AM »
I had to migrate to Win 7 32bit from Vista 64bit and now I crash every time I play TC_DeathValley (and on other maps but from time to time).

Apart changing back to 64 bit OS, is there any other solutions for this? 

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
  • The Man
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2012, 09:06:45 AM »
Unfortunately not... I'd suggest moving to Win7 64bit if at all possible.. the memory restrictions implicit in 32bit operating systems will be the cause of your crashes... You can try increasing the user process memory limit to its maximum of 3072mb(using the /3gb switch), which will enable your pc to assign more than 2 gigs of ram to user processes(doing this may slow ur OS in other respects..)

Other things you can try include reducing the screen resolution down a few steps from where u have it, and turning down all the other settings to low.. It will also probably help to close and terminate any background programs that are running while you play MWLL.
"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate"
- Attributed to Sun Tzu - The Art of War