Author Topic: New Auto Updater feature: torrent delegation - clients supported  (Read 6947 times)

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
The upcoming new release of the MWLL Tools brings a new feature for the Auto Updater: torrent delegation. In essence, this means that you'll have an option to automatically register the update torrent with a torrent client application installed on your machine (like uTorrent) when the Auto Updater has completed downloading it.

We're hoping that this feature will result in more seeders helping the others downloading the updates. Simply put: we don't have the server capacity to serve all downloads ourselves, so we need your help in delivering MWLL to our loyal community.

In its current state, this feature of the Auto Updater only supports uTorrent. I opened this thread to discover if there's significant demand for support of other torrent clients.
If there's sufficient demand for support of other torrent clients, I'll do my best to add support for them, but this may not be always possible, depending on the application.

Please post here if you would like another client to be supported.

Thank you very much for your ongoing support!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:42:10 PM by (TLL)ShdNx »
External tools lead developer

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline lexwolf

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
Re: New Auto Updater feature: torrent delegation - clients supported
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
Hello,
i use uTorrent (actuel > 50 GB uploaded) by manuel start. So, if I remember to start the Torrent Client, i share my upload capacity.
But sometimes it is forgotten.

Coming from that point, there is the recognition that the large lever is to activate the community to SWITCH ON the Torrent.

How we can involve the community? mmhh, one big esset/benefit is the mwll-launch-center.
Everyone had to use the launcher before starting a new game.

Let’s think about that and leave us some mind games:
a) Integrate a new button “start bittorrent” at the launch-center (simultaneously with the button to activate the debug DLL 8)) would be a nice first step.
    But the attention wouldn’t be strong enough.

b) Strong attention would be a PopUp screen with the request for support.
    It need a little bit technical intelligence, to not annoy the user.
    So a PopUp should be only shown during the first two weeks(?) after Installing a new Version,  or two weeks(?) after availability of a new Version.

Opinions? Totally stupid? Missing details?

Greeting from
.Lex

PS: ...and never forgett, that the launch center is a big esset for marketing Opportunities
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:29:29 PM by lexwolf »
The Mod need's YOU - Did you DONATE?

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »
There is no point in deliberately annoying users with a PopUp to remind them to seed the build, just because they have downloaded MWLL.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 03:34:06 PM »
Hello,
i use uTorrent (actuel > 50 GB uploaded) by manuel start. So, if I remember to start the Torrent Client, i share my upload capacity.
But sometimes it is forgotten.

Coming from that point, there is the recognition that the large lever is to activate the community to SWITCH ON the Torrent.

How we can involve the community? mmhh, one big esset/benefit is the mwll-launch-center.
Everyone had to use the launcher before starting a new game.

Let’s think about that and leave us some mind games:
a) Integrate a new button “start bittorrent” at the launch-center (simultaneously with the button to activate the debug DLL 8)) would be a nice first step.
    But the attention wouldn’t be strong enough.

b) Strong attention would be a PopUp screen with the request for support.
    It need a little bit technical intelligence, to not annoy the user.
    So a PopUp should be only shown during the first two weeks(?) after Installing a new Version,  or two weeks(?) after availability of a new Version.

Opinions? Totally stupid? Missing details?

Greeting from
.Lex

PS: ...and never forgett, that the launch center is a big esset for marketing Opportunities

I absolutely agree that we need to somehow involve you (the community) in the distribution. The torrent technology is the method we decided to use to this end, and the torrent delegation feature coming out with the next release is also serving the same purpose.

The trouble is that not everyone has the same possibilities. What I mean is that some people have a lot of upload bandwidth, which means that they should also be able to continue seeding while playing the game. In the other hand, some people have to pay proportionally to the network traffic they use, and they absolutely cannot afford to be seeding all the time.

Given that, I agree with Kit in that it would be pointless to annoy our community by popups and the sort.
We believe that our faithful community recognizes the fact we need their - your! - help in distributing MWLL by seeding our torrents and they will act accordingly, given their (financial, etc.) circumstances.

That leaves it our task to provide you easy means of you doing so: we offer to automatically register the MWLL torrents with the torrent client of your choosing, in hopes that it will motivate more people to seed them. This is what I call 'torrent delegation'.

We are now exploring other possible features that will allow you to make it easy for our players to support our distribution efforts, and to motivate them to do so. We will also be focusing on more to inform you of these things - as you have pointed out, many players might not realize how important it would be for them to seed our update torrents.

On another note, the new Beta Launcher will have a button to allow you to easily switch between the Debug and Release MWLL binaries. :)
(The new version of both the Auto Updater and the Beta Launcher is planned to be released sometime during the next week.)
External tools lead developer

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline pesco

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 01:27:56 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but can you release a normal .torrent file I can drop into my regular always-on bittorrent client?

Offline ^sPikE-

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »
this is exactly what i was hoping for... will lend my seeding bandwidth now.

Offline [IPA] Taltos

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
I'm with pesco here - why don't you, when starting the update, give people the option to open the .torrent file in the torrent client of their choice? This would be chosen by people who want to seed more.
You wouldn't have to design for different torrent clients' API or whatever for delegating the finished torrent. A hairy point I think will be how the audoupdater will get a notification that the DL is finished - is there a technical possibility to do that?

I use Transmission, btw. http://www.transmissionbt.com/

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49:07 PM »

Also see: http://wiki.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?title=How_to_Install_MWLL

Manual Install Guide:

Create a GameSpy (NB: Please make sure that you can log in and out of the account that this may influence on how Crysis Wars behaves)

Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=22

Install Crysis Wars
Update Crysis Wars to Patch 1.5 (1.1.1.6729): http://www.crytekfiles.com/files/CrysisWarsPatches/CrysisWars_patch5.exe
Install the latest PunkBuster for Crysis Wars: http://www.pbbans.com/forums/files/file/52-crysis-wars-windows/
(the Steam version is automatically updated and does not need these patches applied)

Verifying CD-Key and Creating a Profile in Crysis Wars
 Select Multiplayer > Internet > Enter your CD-Key > Create an Account (check "Remember password" if wanted)
 Select Profile > New Profile > Save (NB: This will create your Profile folder etc., in Documents/My Games/Crysis Wars/)
 Connect to a PunkBuster protected server to verify your CD-Key successfully.

Install Visual C++ Redistributals according to your OS architecture:
  Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86): http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3387
  Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64): http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21254
  Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 RP ATL Security Update: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26347

Extract MWLL-OpenBeta-Full-0.5.0.zip to Crysis Wars/Mods/MWLL. (The Mods and MWLL folder needs to be create locally before extraction)
Extract the latter Patches over the existing Build.
Create a link to the MWLL.Launcher located in the root folder of MWLL.

MWLL Tools
http://sourceforge.net/settings/mirror_choices?projectname=actionmapper&filename=Distribution/Actionmapper%20dist%20v0.3.10.zip

Offline madpeople

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +6/-1
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 10:15:52 PM »
This is a feature I'd like to use, but don't. I'll explain why.

If I don't use it, the updater does the downloading, knows when it has downloaded the update and then does the installation for me.

If I do use it I get that my torrent application downloads it and can keep seeding it, but then what? How does the updater know when the download is finished, or even where it was downloaded to? My guess is it doesn't, so it doesn't do the installation for me. There are no instructions on what to do or what happens when the external application finishes the download when you are presented with the option to delegate. Do I copy the files manually to the install dir? Is there a setup.exe in the torrent? I don't know, it doesn't say, but I know that if I don't delegate it, the updater will take care of everything for me. So I play it safe and don't delegate because that's a known safe and simple option, where as with the delegate option I'm jumping into the unknown with no guide (it's probably quite simple and I'd likely easily figure out what to do with the downloaded files, but why take the risk?).
Include some information about what happens next when presented with the delegate option and I'll happily use it (I did think about trying to find a torrent file for the update so I could tell utorrent to download it manually, and point it at the place the updater has already downloaded the update to, but didn't know where to find the torrent file.)