Author Topic: Survey for LMS Tournement Intrest  (Read 6464 times)

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
Survey for LMS Tournement Intrest
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
So I've been playing around with the idea of the 12thVR hosting a Solaris style Tournament in the following format.

1 or 2 group of 16 (all "sponsored" pilots, limit 2 or 3 player per "stable/unit" depending on turn out)  Top 4-6 players (depends on turnout) to move on to the Champions Round

+

1 or 2 groups of 16 for all unaffiliated pilots [Grand Melee], top 8-10 players move on to the Champions Round.

Alternatively,  it would be the top 8 from each group bracket.

Haven't thought about a cbill limit but i'm thinking 85-90k per player

The reason the sponsored bracket is harder is the simple fact that "Stablemates" will naturally help each other and could be using Voice com to coordinate.  The harder qualification into the next round is a means to try and level the playing field for the champions round.  Now this may not be needed and we'd go with equal rounds qualifying berths (i mean unaffiliated players could make friends and be partners for the tourney)

Just wanted to kick the idea around.  Now the one caveat would be that at least the final round would be hosted on the 12thVR server (in California) just so our Pac players could finally get in a event where their ping shouldn't be too bad.

Comments and inputs would be helpful :D

Offline ~SJ~ Lobo

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-0
  • CW+CSJ = GOD OF THUNDER
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
Re: Survey for LMS Tournement Intrest
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:05:26 PM »
Your best bet is just do it. These temperature check threads never work out how you want. Plus it's YOUR tourney it's best if you make the rules with the least amount of wannabe admins adding their 2 cents. (speaking from experience on each one of these points)

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:57:22 AM »
*Dips Toe*

Temperature seems good, I'm up for helping or participating, I'll mention it to fellow CJW's.

I think 85k is a pretty good amount, should see a nice mix of assets on the field
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline doorknob

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:54:01 AM »
I'd love to see this. Heck, I'll drop in one of the grand melee rounds and do my reporting from inside the cockpit.

Offline Draekros

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
  • Beware the Undead Ninja Wabbits...
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:07:18 PM »
I'm sure I'll be up for it as well.  8)
Of course it'll depend on the timing of the tournament, I may have to rearrange my schedule.  ;)

12th Vegan Rangers. Beta Regiment.

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:12:32 PM »
That sounds like a nice idea. I would decrease the size of the groups, though, because with too many players there is much luck involved (by either running two rounds with the same players, starting with 16, then the top 8 get to play again or just set it to 12 or something like that).

Offline Ghiest

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
Depends on the amount wanting to play really.  I'd say groups of 8 is pretty good if you have to have more than 4 groups then you could do it Olympic style, first four in the group go onto another group to compete against winners winners then final group group of 8 as the final group. 32 people  4 top people move on per group.  Personally I think 16 is a touch too big (especially to admin).  But of course your tourney :), although I'm crap at the game I'm up for it (as long as it's not a 2am gmt start time :P).

Offline nordwars

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:42:08 PM »
California server? ouch (probably ~250 ping from Europe). But hey it's your tournament and it wouldn't stop me playing.

Unfortunately the fact that you want APAC players to be involved means it may be at an interesting time of the morning, which might stop me playing!

But, APAC players deserve some fun so go for it. It's a great idea for a tourney anyway.

Just one thought... why have a cbill limit? Force the players to make a tough choice.
Independent MWLL Merc since Jan 12 2010.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:01:11 PM »
thanks for the feed back guys.  the 85 limit is to make it medium heavy focused which emphasis speed and good maneuvering.  Really the thing i want to see is how people deal with SSRM vulture without straight out classing it :D

I will probably end up dropping the group size to 12 with top 4 advancing.

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 11:20:15 PM »
Really the thing i want to see is how people deal with SSRM vulture without straight out classing it :D
Then don't call it "Tournament" of any kind. The ideal "Tournament" in my opinion would be at 200k cbills for everybody. Whoever wants a Novacat, may buy one. Whoever thinks he can win with an Owens C, my go with it. If there are tanks in the game, somebody on the field will be able to counter them.
Additionally a server with less than the maximum amount of players should partially prohibit camping of any kind. Too many players and even the best pilot will probably be shot in the back from 900m away while he is fighting against three enemies at the same time.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »
As long as no one thinks this tournament is a measure of any sort of skill.  Random chance will play a significant part in any LMS tournament standings imo.  At least with regular SA if you get gang banged in one mech it doesn't spell the end of you and you are still free to employ what you may think is a superior strategy over the duration of the tournament and successive mechs.  The real measure of skill with SA is the mech progression a pilot selects and the overall strategy he employs rather than any one single combat encounter against greater odds which is what LMS will boil down to imo.

LMS is like a poker tournament where every participant has to go ALL IN on every hand they play and you get eliminated if you lose.  That would remove most of the intricacy of what makes poker a game of more than random chance.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline nordwars

• MechWarrior
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 06:28:15 PM »
Obviously there would be multiple rounds to each match? After 5 or even 3 rounds, the bad luck factor has been mitigated somewhat.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 09:35:05 PM »
well see that's the thing, i don't consider getting ganged up on "bad luck" it's how SA worked in the books.  Stable mates routine helped each other and ganged up on others.  Just like in pro car or bike racing.

Which is why I originally had the sponsored brackets being hard to get through, but they had the benefit of being grouped with their stablemates.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 09:56:22 PM »
Ahhh this is team based.  I had a similar idea on the SJ forums.  Sort of like the Tour de France where the whole team works towards one person winning.  If that's what you were thinking then I think it has great potential.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline nordwars

• MechWarrior
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 12:54:40 AM »
That would be interesting, but I don't think that was exactly what SS was talking about, as there were supposed to be more non-affiliated players making it to the championship round.

I think someone was actually considering non-affiliated players for once! Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic...