Author Topic: Reference maps for community mappers  (Read 10353 times)

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-0
  • What would a pirate do?
Reference maps for community mappers
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »
There has been a lot of activity regarding community maps lately, and there are a lot of questions regarding mapping as well.
It would probably be easier for you if you had access to the cry-files of the released maps, but due to various reasons that is not possible.

However to give you some reference on how we make our maps work, I put together this map and uploaded it to mwllmaps.com

SA_Reference:

The zip-file includes the cryfile so you can have look at it in the editor and play around with the settings and entities.

There are examples for the APC-Buyzone, Repairbay, Destructible Objects, Forbidden Area, Fireworks(+FlowGraph) and AmbientTemp around Pools (+FlowGraph)
on this Reference map.

mwllmaps.com:
http://mwllmaps.com/?map=sa_reference

Update:
-Added CamFlashparticles (including simple Flowgraph) and AmbientSound and SACrowd-Entities

TC_Reference:

Just as SA_Reference the zip-file for this map includes the cry-flie of the map so you guys can tear it apart in the editor.

On this map there are examples for mainbases, basedefenses, cappoints with different setup, particleeffects for cappoints, FGs associated with cappoints.

mwllmaps.com:
http://mwllmaps.com/?map=tc_reference

There is not going to be a TSA_Reference as that would only be TC_Reference without cappoints.
However, there will be a SA_SpecialEffectsReference as I have time to put it together.

I hope this will help you to get your maps working!

Please note that those maps are not supposed to be played on servers with multiple players, in fact they won't work with the Autodownloader.

Use this topic for ideas and suggestions regarding Reference maps.
Any kind of feedback, bugreport, or request for a feature to be added to one of the Reference maps, should be posted here.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:57:07 PM by 7.[WD]Sesambrot »
If at first you don't succeed try again, and if you don't try again, you'll be hit in the face with a shovel!
"I'm a piece of C.R.A.P."

Offline CGB [Ancient Demise]

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • Clan Ghost Bear
Re: Reference maps for community mappers
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:36:17 PM »
AWESOME! +1 sir.

Are there waves and vegetation in there too?

"Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to limit. Do not ask 'Why.' Be cautious with 'How.' 'Why' leads inexorably to paradox. 'How' traps you in a universe of cause and effect. Both deny the infinite."
---The Apocrypha of Arrakis; Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:44:33 PM »
+1 as well! Thank you, this will let me get Alshain ready for your tournament. All I need is a buyzone now.

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »
Thanks Sesambrot!

:)

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »
There's no vegetation or other details on the map since it's not supposed to be "pretty"... ^^

The buyzone-entity can be found under Mulitplayer/Buyzone in your rollupbar.
In general you can search for stuff like that by typing the name (e.g. buyzone) into the small textfield below the menu and hitting enter.
If at first you don't succeed try again, and if you don't try again, you'll be hit in the face with a shovel!

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:10:22 PM »
This is really invaluable information.  +1.  I anxiously await a TC reference.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:33:16 PM »
Updated SA_Reference with Stadium, Sounds and CamFlashes

Sry if you expected a TC_Reference... haven't had time yet, but still planing to do it asap!

Le'me know if there is something else the existing reference map should be updated with.

Cheers, and keep on mapping! ;)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 12:44:34 PM »
I'm adding content and detail in preparation for TC on The Feral Fangs.  I have enough to do while waiting for a reference map to make my life easier.  Thanks SB!
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Archer

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 12:53:20 PM »
Hi there, the copy of this linked in the first post of the thread is corrupted apparently. if someone has a working copy can it be reuploaded or something.

cheers

Offline ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-1
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 04:41:30 AM »
Has anyone been able to use this map at all?
Everyone that tries, including me, gets a corrupted archive message and then squat. I think the DL on the Maps website is Corrupted. :( I really need the crowd sounds. I managed to get everything else working but the Crowd sounds. The ones included so far are FMOD files and the editor can't do crap with that.

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
  • The Man
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 12:42:33 PM »
Please note - We are aware that currently the map hosted on mwllmaps.com - SA_Reference - is corrupted. This is due to some SVN data getting mixed up in the zip file and mucking up the zip compressions.

We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused and will organise to have it fixed up as soon as possible, most likely within a few days.

This thread will be updated at that time with the newest download links etc.

Cheers,
Wilson
"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment that which they cannot anticipate"
- Attributed to Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 04:56:24 PM »
Okay, the new zip-file is up, it's ~2.2MB and I was able to download it and then unzip it using winrar.

Again, sry for the inconvenience! I guess this is what happens if you do stuff like that at 2am... lol

to give you guys a little heads up:
I have run into some problems with Win7 and the SB2-Editor which I have to get resolved before I can continue to work on maps, unfortunately there are also two exams within the next 7 days, so expect TC_Reference to be done, around the middle of next week.
As I mentioned here, should you guys be interessted in having a look at the FGs we're using for Fireworks/RandomToD on Jungle/synced Volcanoexplosion on Jungle I can make a SA_SpecialEffectsReference for you to have a look at them.
Just let me know if you want it or not, and I'll do that as soon as I'm done with TC_Reference.

Also, if you can think of anything that needs to be added to existing reference maps or you would like to see included into upcoming reference maps, post your suggestions here.

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 04:59:34 PM »
TC_Reference finished and uploaded!
First post updated!

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 10:58:35 PM »
Thank you for all your hard work, Sesambrot! I'm not a mapper by any means, but I do enjoy TC very much. If this means more TC maps produced by the community, then all my thanks go to you. =)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »
Thank you so much mate. Hopefully I'll have some time soon here to capitalize on your efforts.