Author Topic: IMPORTANT! Community mappers need to copy their ResourceCompiler!  (Read 9570 times)

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
  • The Man
did u also try exporting the map from within the mods\mwll folders ?(if not can you try it too when u have time) im just throwing ideas out at the moment in the hopes that we might spot something that could be causing these problems..

Normally when you create a map in sandbox2, it will default to putting the files into the Crysis Wars\Game\Levels folder.. but its usually best to move those files straight off into the mods\mwll folders as that way you dont need to worry about moving files after exporting for testing.. this is how we work internally, inside the mods\mwll folders the whole time. It doesnt really matter too much as far as map development goes, just seems like a bit of a pain to have to move files around for testing like that ;)
"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment that which they cannot anticipate"
- Attributed to Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
Well i have always done everything in the Crysis Wars folder not the mods/mwll ones.  I always copy my files over to the MWLL level folders each time. So far this is the only way i have worked.

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • The Man
I really think that it shouldn't make a difference, though possibly it may with solids export. Just to let you guys know, the process I use to create a new map for the mod(and how we do it internally) is -

1. start sandbox and select file->new, enter name & appropriate settings and click ok
2. generate surface texture(optional, but im stupidstitous.. appeasing the cryengine random crash gods and all that... lol), save & exit
3. move map folder from "crysis wars\game\level\<mapname>" to "crysis wars\mods\mwll\game\levels\multiplayer\<gamemode>\<mapname>"
4. start sandbox and load map from mods\mwll folders to work on it..

I'd be interested in seeing if the solids worked for anybody exporting from the mods\mwll folders, i'll kick myself if its that simple haha
"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment that which they cannot anticipate"

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
i will try as such right now

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
You know I have never experienced this problem you all are describing. Routinely, when I create a new level I use the procedure (Wilson) just described. Create the level, the files are saved in the Crysis Wars folder structure, then I move those files down into the MWLL folder structure. During the early phases of my map creation, I create what I call Solid "measuring sticks". These "sticks" are used for distance measurements to lay out the control points and battle positions. The sticks will be 500, 800, 1000, 1200, and 1500 meters in length. I do not texture these solids, they are just left as default. I only use the 64 bit editor and these solids are always there in my pure game testing on my dedicated server.

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline =KoS= Finalizer

• The bomb diggity diggity
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +61/-0
  • ORE WA BATTLEMECH
Good news, folks:

BUENO!

For reference:

-Using the 32 bit version of the editor
-Copied the rc folder from Crysis Wars/Bin32 to mods/MWLL/Bin32
-Editing the map from Crysis Wars/Game/Levels/Multiplayer/[blargh]

Superior commit notes for superior developers

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
Do other players connecting to your map see this?

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline =KoS= Finalizer

• MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • ORE WA BATTLEMECH
I'll find out if I can find someone willing to test it with me :X

Probably gonna have to wait until tonight when TS3 is more active.

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-0
  • What would a pirate do?
Do other players connecting to your map see this?
That should actually be out of question as the only important file, once the map is exported is the level.pak.
In fact, if it works for one person, it should work for everyone who has the same (a copy) of the level.pak it worked with...
If at first you don't succeed try again, and if you don't try again, you'll be hit in the face with a shovel!
"I'm a piece of C.R.A.P."

Offline =KoS= Finalizer

• MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • ORE WA BATTLEMECH
Okay, looks like I done goofed in my previous post:

Make sure you're editing from within the Crysis Wars/Mods/MWLL/Game/Levels/Multiplayer/[blargh] to ensure that the solids export properly.

With that, I can confirm that the George Ledoux poster works properly for both me and other players! Presumably, this means that solids work correctly now. For recap:

-Using the 32 bit version of the editor
-Copied the rc folder from Crysis Wars/Bin32 to mods/MWLL/Bin32
-Editing the map from Crysis Wars/Mods/MWLL/Game/Levels/Multiplayer/[blargh]

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • The Man
oh excellent.. thats really good news, thanx heaps all for testing that for us..

Its good to know it really was something so simple as map location... now where's that steelcap i'll proceed to start kicking myself for while i think lol..its always the simple things that get missed haha ;)

ps. Sesambrot, can you update ur first post again when u have the time, cheers man :)

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-0
  • What would a pirate do?
Re: IMPORTANT! Community mappers need to copy their ResourceCompiler!
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »
first post updated with new information

thx everyone!
If at first you don't succeed try again, and if you don't try again, you'll be hit in the face with a shovel!
"I'm a piece of C.R.A.P."

Offline CGB [Ancient Demise]

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • Clan Ghost Bear
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 03:27:24 AM »
That's great news! Does this work for solids as well? Has it been tested for prefabs such as the hardened mechbay and single_mechbay_withspawn? as in no more floating orange orbs?

"Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to limit. Do not ask 'Why.' Be cautious with 'How.' 'Why' leads inexorably to paradox. 'How' traps you in a universe of cause and effect. Both deny the infinite."
---The Apocrypha of Arrakis; Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • The Man
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 03:54:59 AM »
Yes the fix works, its always the most simple things we overlook, as in this case... the root of the problem was the fact that a bunch of people were editting and exporting their map from outside the Mods\MWLL folder structure and of course we had(naively) taken for granted everyone was working within the mods folders so didnt think to ask right away ;)

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 04:10:52 AM »
Yes the fix works, its always the most simple things we overlook, as in this case... the root of the problem was the fact that a bunch of people were editting and exporting their map from outside the Mods\MWLL folder structure and of course we had(naively) taken for granted everyone was working within the mods folders so didnt think to ask right away ;)

This would also explain why I never experienced this problem.