Author Topic: Zellbrigen, a night of Honor Dueling  (Read 3734 times)

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
Zellbrigen, a night of Honor Dueling
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:38:07 PM »
So, I have mainly played in PUBs, a number of open merc nights.  I am someone who loves the lore of the Children of Keresnky.

This idea has been floating around in my head for a while, as we currently do not have something like it.  This is basicly a night of dueling.

I solidified this idea during a open merc night last week, i think it was.  Where a few bears and a couple KOS members were vs some Clan Wolf i think it was.  The map was death valley, 5 vs 5.  We were IS, and had moved to the mountain south of D4, and we were on the clan side of the mountain leading to G4 when one of the guys in the unit got disconnected.  One of the other players who was in a smaller mech proceded to get in the disconnected players mech.. which comically ended up him dieing in the mechs crotch... so now it was 5 vs 3.  Horrible odds.  So I called out to the Wolves and asked if they wanted to initiate Zellbrigen.  They accepted, so it turned into a set of 3 1 vs 1 duels.  We met at opposite ends of near D4, and stood about a km apart.  We proceeded to call out challenges.  In the end the three wolves were defeated and the IS prevailed ;)

So, this got me thinking of starting a Zellbrigen night.  Where we have a group of 10 or so players split into two teams of 5.  Mechs get picked, forces line up and challenges get issued, and then all at once the mechs go at it.  It now relies upon skill to take out the opponent and win the day.  Too often PUBs and open merc nights de-evolve into a IS style everyone concentrates fire on one guy, and then the group moves on to the next.  I am tossing this out to peak interest, and get the ball rolling.  I will post up a event on the calender later tonight when I can find a time.

So what are the thoughts on a honor duel night?

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-0
  • What would a pirate do?
Re: Zellbrigen, a night of Honor Dueling
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:55 PM »
I actually consider myself a noob when it comes to 1on1... (the other guy seems to be that tiny bit better than me all the time lol)
that's just my impression tho.

Anyways, sounds like fun...
Guess I'll joing in if I have time.
If at first you don't succeed try again, and if you don't try again, you'll be hit in the face with a shovel!
"I'm a piece of C.R.A.P."

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »
I'd be down.

1v1 dueling between people of similar skill can sometimes come down to who has the better framerate, but that's PC gaming for you so whatever.
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »
So, I have mainly played in PUBs, a number of open merc nights.  I am someone who loves the lore of the Children of Keresnky.

This idea has been floating around in my head for a while, as we currently do not have something like it.  This is basicly a night of dueling.

I solidified this idea during a open merc night last week, i think it was.  Where a few bears and a couple KOS members were vs some Clan Wolf i think it was.  The map was death valley, 5 vs 5.  We were IS, and had moved to the mountain south of D4, and we were on the clan side of the mountain leading to G4 when one of the guys in the unit got disconnected.  One of the other players who was in a smaller mech proceded to get in the disconnected players mech.. which comically ended up him dieing in the mechs crotch... so now it was 5 vs 3.  Horrible odds.  So I called out to the Wolves and asked if they wanted to initiate Zellbrigen.  They accepted, so it turned into a set of 3 1 vs 1 duels.  We met at opposite ends of near D4, and stood about a km apart.  We proceeded to call out challenges.  In the end the three wolves were defeated and the IS prevailed ;)

So, this got me thinking of starting a Zellbrigen night.  Where we have a group of 10 or so players split into two teams of 5.  Mechs get picked, forces line up and challenges get issued, and then all at once the mechs go at it.  It now relies upon skill to take out the opponent and win the day.  Too often PUBs and open merc nights de-evolve into a IS style everyone concentrates fire on one guy, and then the group moves on to the next.  I am tossing this out to peak interest, and get the ball rolling.  I will post up a event on the calender later tonight when I can find a time.

So what are the thoughts on a honor duel night?
Oh I remember that

I feel sorry for the poor bastard who had to use his long range Whammy against my UAC20 Scat :-\
He hit me like twice :-X

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:13:03 PM »
Silly clanners... :P

I have done this in the past, when there are only 4-5 players on a server.  To me dueling can be more fun than playing hide-and-seek for 45 minutes.

Though we did the back to back start, I like this idea of having 2 teams, that bring what they will, then making challenges based on what the other team brought to the DuelFest.  Always thought the back to back was a bit lame, I mean we aren't old timey gunslingers, we are Mechwarriors!  Face me in battle or be face down in the mud. 

;D ;D ;D ;D

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Hartsblade}12th VR{

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:42:49 PM »
I know it says "Zellbrigen" but I keep hearing "Rumspringa!!!"

;)

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 01:59:21 AM »
There are no "clanners"
We are either Clansmen, warriors of the Clan or just Clan ;)

A night of Zellbriggen would be extremely welcome.
And if to be prolonged it would be even more welcome.

" Bringing it on like a true BAWS ! " would/could be the motto of this/these nights, I figure ...kekekeke.

+1 for Initiative taken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 02:02:28 AM »
There are no "clanners"
We are either Clansmen, warriors of the Clan or just Clan ;)

A night of Zellbriggen would be extremely welcome.
And if to be prolonged it would be even more welcome.

" Bringing it on like a true BAWS ! " would/could be the motto of this/these nights, I figure ...kekekeke.

+1 for Initiative taken
DIE CLANNER!
*fire LRMs from my stolen Vulture, which instead fly waaay over your head. Atlas nukes, because it was driven by a Ranger and takes you out instead*

Close enough.... :P

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 02:07:11 AM »
You no BAWS then, Is guessin....kekeke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline Cik

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-2
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 06:18:50 AM »
seal of approval.jpg

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 06:47:18 AM »
Oh, my bad, sorry to any of you 'tubers that I offended with my epithet.  Inner Sphere folk tend to be far more free with their use of the English language.  And you will always be clanners to me. :P

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar, 331st Feral Fangs
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 09:19:41 AM »
Good idea CoffiNail. Normally I would complain a bit on the time selected, but vacation period is drawing near, so times will stop being an issue pretty. For a while at least.
Duels are a fun change of pace and one can learn quite a bit from it. Usually possible to get quite good pace in it as well, so you spend more time actually playing/fighting then you may do in a team scrim.

/Merf - "We are Clan Smoke Jaguar, abandon all hope"

Offline ~SJ~MausGMR

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-7
  • Oh snap...
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 12:19:41 PM »
SJ did it against CJW awhile ago, was a pretty good event.

<Freeborn_Toad> what's a Maus?
<Razorin-Faust> It's what you get when Chuck Norris and Natasha Kerensky have a kid : Maus

The prodigal son has returned

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +339/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »
SJ did it against CJW awhile ago, was a pretty good event.

Yeah till a certain clan forgot the code of conduct and went 3 Vs 1, if only I'd killed more of you...

Could be a laugh, it'll give me a change of pace from lbx legging owens and lol'ing as the physics makes them barrelroll.

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +165/-14
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 07:26:09 PM »
It was good indeed Maus. Our clan would be up for this event whenever.
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?