Author Topic: Mech Warrior Fan Film  (Read 7512 times)

Offline Colt45

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
Mech Warrior Fan Film
« on: June 30, 2011, 05:01:15 AM »
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and I am a huge fan of MechWarrior. I dying to create a short action movie on MW. I am a amature director and VFX artist, but I am not a 3D modeler, or not a remotely good one at least. However I do know how to composite 3D elements into a film.

My problem is that I don't have any models of mechs (Whats a MW film without mechs?). I have searched high and low for some decent models but with no success. If anyone has models that they are willing to donate, I would be eternally grateful. The models would have to be textured and rigged.

I have Maya, 3Ds Max, even Inventor if need be. I am asking here because I know that some great quality models are used in MWLL and I know those models are created in 3Ds Max. I'm not a programmer or software engineer so I'm not sure if the in-game models are usable or even available for me. If anyone can help or point me in a good direction on where to get HQ models, that would be great.

If I do get said models I will then open up discussion regarding the film and what other fans (you guys!) would like to see in it.
Please ask any questions if need be. Thanks.
Do or Do Not, There is no Try

Offline [CW]Aresye

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-1
  • Clan Wolf
    • Clan Wolf
Re: Mech Warrior Fan Film
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:33:55 PM »
Hey man, take the route I'm going, and hold out for the time being.  I'm working on getting myself a copy of Lightwave, and already have somewhat of a script worked on.

Originally I planned to do a mix of live acting and in-game footage, but I'm holding off until I can master Lightwave, and it doesn't matter if it takes me a couple years, because I'd rather take a long time to create a high quality film, than do a half assed attempt quickly.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:33:32 PM »
sorry to report this, its been asked before and the devs can not share their models for mechs and other assets.

Offline Colt45

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:13:33 AM »
Ok, I came in with my fingers crossed prepared for the worse. Ill have to find an alternative. Thanks for the replies.

Aresye, are you using lightwave 10? If you are, how is it?

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +533/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:43 AM »
We cannot release the models (Maya or Max) however the exported vehicles (which conveniently also include all the rigging and animations) are available within the Sandbox2 editor.  If you are willing to learn the Trackview system it will provide a great deal of scripted control, but you'll be on your own with the necessary flowgraphing to setup a scene.

Our initial release trailer was almost entirely done in the editor with Trackview.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline Colt45

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 03:23:53 AM »
KingLeer, since your the director ill ask you, What rights do I have to use in-game footage that I capture in a film that I make? Does it change when its for profit or non profit? And how should I go about accrediting game personnel in the credits if in-game footage is used?

I'm still waiting for my copy of Crysis so I am not sure what kind of flying camera options are available when I get the game set up. Can someone elaborate on that? And what kind of HUD/display options are there? 1st person/3rd person? Visible cockpit? Ability to turn certain displays off, like weapon componets or radar? Thanks in advance.

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 04:04:11 AM »
buddy, buddy this is a total conversion mod for Crysis Wars, made by a very talented team with limited source code availability.  They have 1st person only as this is a Simulation mod ;) They have a placeholder (if i am not mistaken) HUD, that can be turned off (all hud or no hud).  Your spectator camera has pretty good range, with recently added up and down controls to aid in filming.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopheCoffin

Go check out some vids, give you a much better idea. o.O surpised you have not been scouring youtube for gameplay videos... how powerful is your pc? This mod is a beast, makes crysis itself cry. ;)

If you need some specific shots feel free to contact me, and i will help if able.

Offline Colt45

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:56:57 PM »
buddy, buddy this is a total conversion mod for Crysis Wars, made by a very talented team with limited source code availability.  They have 1st person only as this is a Simulation mod ;) They have a placeholder (if i am not mistaken) HUD, that can be turned off (all hud or no hud).  Your spectator camera has pretty good range, with recently added up and down controls to aid in filming.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopheCoffin

Go check out some vids, give you a much better idea. o.O surpised you have not been scouring youtube for gameplay videos... how powerful is your pc? This mod is a beast, makes crysis itself cry. ;)

If you need some specific shots feel free to contact me, and i will help if able.

Thanks for the offer. Yes I have searched the internet for videos I was just making sure that the camera movements I witnessed were part of the mod gameplay and not off of a editor of some sort. My rig has a i5 cpu, 4GB ram with ATI HD 5145 1GB dedicated ram. I imagine crysis will still give my system a run for its money  ;)

I'm just trying to visualize the available shots straight out of the game without any PP work. I plan on using live action footage implemented with game footage.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:56:41 PM »
one tip i think our more veteran film makers do is use an analog controller to control the camera to remove the "jerkiness" from camera movement.

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »
I have yet to purchase that controller, planning on it sometime.

Offline CHHš Jazz

• MWLL Developer
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • Sound Designer
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 10:24:09 PM »
KingLeer, since your the director ill ask you, What rights do I have to use in-game footage that I capture in a film that I make? Does it change when its for profit or non profit? And how should I go about accrediting game personnel in the credits if in-game footage is used?

Not the director, but I am familiar with entertainment law.

You're entering what is still considered a grey area by posting a movie using in-game content; however, historically speaking, highly transformative, non-for-profit works have been largely left alone, as they generally are not considered detrimental in any way to the original work.

You wouldn't be able to produce a commercial video for the same reason MWLL cannot produce this as a commercial game: You'd be using intellectual property that didn't belong to you. There are exceptions to this (such as parodies that critique the original work), but generally speaking, that would be inviting a takedown from Microsoft.

As for giving credit... That is up to you. Legally, it isn't required (but usually advised).

NOTE: Bill S. 978 - http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-978
-This might necessitate getting permission from Microsoft to do the video. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how that would work. A lawyer (or a bigger law junkie) would know more.

Finally, when in doubt, follow the four factors of fair use:
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/9-b.html

EDIT: Oops! If it isn't obvious, I should clarify that I'm referencing US copyright laws. If you're not American, you'll want to understand how these laws could potentially translate to you via the Berne Convention and the Universal Copyright Convention, as your biggest concern would be Microsoft.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:54:12 PM by CHHš Jazz »

Might before Metal - 35th Infantry Division, Star League Defense Force

Offline Colt45

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 03:14:23 AM »
Thanks Jazz. The film would be for non profit and non commercial. Do you know anything about the right to use the name 'MechWarrior' in the title perhaps? Or does that typically not make a difference in this case?

Offline CHHš Jazz

• MWLL Developer
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • Sound Designer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »
As long as you're not calling the video anything like "Mechwarrior 4: Vengence" or "Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries" (aka something that would make it appear as though you were trying to supersede existing products in any way), you could get away with it.

Might before Metal - 35th Infantry Division, Star League Defense Force

Offline Colt45

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 04:50:28 AM »
As long as you're not calling the video anything like "Mechwarrior 4: Vengence" or "Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries" (aka something that would make it appear as though you were trying to supersede existing products in any way), you could get away with it.
But the original game was just called MechWarrior

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +533/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 02:58:38 PM »
Thanks Jazz. The film would be for non profit and non commercial. Do you know anything about the right to use the name 'MechWarrior' in the title perhaps? Or does that typically not make a difference in this case?

There are dozens of fan-made videos out there that make use of that name, so at least for the present the rights holders for the MechWarrior name are not that bothered.

However, permission to use anything from the MechWarrior/BattleTech franchises doesn't come from us (as a mod team), you would need to contact the relevant rights holder (in this case Microsoft for electronic video game presentation).  I have been asked in the past if our license with Microsoft extends to other groups implicitly, and it absolutely does not.  Any other mod team or interested party would have to negotiate their own agreement with Microsoft.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".