Author Topic: Mech Warrior Fan Film  (Read 7437 times)

Offline -AAA-

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +58/-1
Re: Mech Warrior Fan Film
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 03:09:16 PM »
Since you pointed it out, I want to let you know that there's no way you'll be able to record MWLL footage at an acceptable framerate or level of detail for any kind of video.  An ATi Mobility 5145 is just a re-badged HD 4650, which was a semi-decent mid-range card in late 2008 when it was released.  While there may have been some great optimizations done on both Cryteks and ATIs ends, that card could only pull 6-8 FPS in vanilla Crysis at 1024x768.  In MWLL, while running some kind of software video capture, you'll be lucky to get 5 FPS on the lowest of settings. 

All other issues aside, you may want to have someone else with beefy enough hardware do the recording.

Offline Colt45

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 05:05:06 PM »
Thanks Jazz. The film would be for non profit and non commercial. Do you know anything about the right to use the name 'MechWarrior' in the title perhaps? Or does that typically not make a difference in this case?

There are dozens of fan-made videos out there that make use of that name, so at least for the present the rights holders for the MechWarrior name are not that bothered.

However, permission to use anything from the MechWarrior/BattleTech franchises doesn't come from us (as a mod team), you would need to contact the relevant rights holder (in this case Microsoft for electronic video game presentation).  I have been asked in the past if our license with Microsoft extends to other groups implicitly, and it absolutely does not.  Any other mod team or interested party would have to negotiate their own agreement with Microsoft.

Does the Living Legends Mod count as part of the MechWarrior/BattleTech franchise though?  I feel like if I give credit where credit is due, and have it non profit, I should be fine.
Do or Do Not, There is no Try

Offline CHH Jazz

• MWLL Developer
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • Sound Designer
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 05:33:25 PM »
Thanks Jazz. The film would be for non profit and non commercial. Do you know anything about the right to use the name 'MechWarrior' in the title perhaps? Or does that typically not make a difference in this case?

There are dozens of fan-made videos out there that make use of that name, so at least for the present the rights holders for the MechWarrior name are not that bothered.

However, permission to use anything from the MechWarrior/BattleTech franchises doesn't come from us (as a mod team), you would need to contact the relevant rights holder (in this case Microsoft for electronic video game presentation).  I have been asked in the past if our license with Microsoft extends to other groups implicitly, and it absolutely does not.  Any other mod team or interested party would have to negotiate their own agreement with Microsoft.

Does the Living Legends Mod count as part of the MechWarrior/BattleTech franchise though?  I feel like if I give credit where credit is due, and have it non profit, I should be fine.

Like I said previously, assigning credit is of little relevance when it comes to fair use. It will neither harm nor benefit you. You certainly should give credit, it's the proper thing to do, but don't think that it's going to cover you legally.

That said, what you should take from this is simple: As long as you're doing a noncommercial "for fun" video, you have a large amount of flexibility. If you were to do anything more than that, as Leer said, you'd have to contact Microsoft.

Might before Metal - 35th Infantry Division, Star League Defense Force

Offline Colt45

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 06:56:46 PM »
I really appreciate all the input that i've been recieving from you guys.

Now since I have discovered that I may have a framerate issue... Is there anyway to render videos so they are at highest quality, made by trackview in the sandbox 2 editor? I think trackview would be the primary source of footage pulled from the game anyways. Ive checked out the trackview system and it looks very promising on what I'd like to achieve. However, it would be useless if I couldnt get optimal graphics quality out of it.

Offline Colt45

• Recruit
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 10:13:46 PM »
So here is my first attempt at compositing a energy weapon ( I've done muzzle flashes before), as well as my first time using energy weapon sound effects. I did all the effects last night. I figure I would post it here for anyone to enjoy. And if you have any suggestions about how the beam should look, please by all means give me your input  :D Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w02oY1VLhtk

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »
That video looks awesome, did you model the mech yourself?
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »
woooooaaaahhhhhh!
thats way too cool to even exist!
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline Colt45

• Recruit
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »
That video looks awesome, did you model the mech yourself?

Unfortunatly all I can take credit for is:
Looping the vid (clip was only 3 seconds long)
Adding the sound
Adding the dust from the feet stomping
Adding the muzzle flashes and ambient light, along with sound
Adding laser blast and ambient light, along with recording the laser sound from MW4

A lot went into this little clip on my part, except the raw animation  ::)

Offline CHH Myria

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 08:53:06 AM »
Hmm, this topic spurred me todo some searching and lookie at one I found here.

-edit- Hah! Ironchef60 even went an used MWLL todo the same thing PLUS a few others check out his vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/IronChef60#p/u/3/l9ovauSV8Js

Definitely noteworthy for the effort they made to make em.  :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:23:02 AM by CHH Myria »
"Belonging, is the greatest thing there ever is."