Author Topic: An Entry with a Bang! a BT/Clancyverse roundrobin project  (Read 5735 times)

Offline darktimes

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-0
An Entry with a Bang! a BT/Clancyverse roundrobin project
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »
I can't believe you guys haven't heard of this yet.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanFic/AnEntryWithABang

basically, its large project of many writers, Btech and tom clancy fans alike, which try to solve a tricky question: what would the BTverse be if suddenly 20 century earth was dropped in? this isn't your normal fanfiction, these people capture the technological and political landscape of the inner sphere. their forum is huge, and they try to balance the real world physics with the fictional. however, be warned, this is Clancyverse, so there are a few references/continuity nods to rainbow six and splinter cell, but they are very rare, and not that important anyway.

they already have a huge amount of "canon" fanwork already written down, and hundreds of small "noncanon" stories in the discussion thread.
I recommend this "fanfiction" to everyone here, the sheer manpower behind it is astonishing.
its on spacebattles.com, by the way.

its the very first thread, stickied.
http://forums.spacebattles.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:59:26 PM by darktimes »
If you get shot with an AC-20 in the head the hula girl has real Hula girl Physics™!
- Matt Newman, Producer,  Project planning and management of MWO.

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
Re: An Entry with a Bang! a BT/Clancyverse roundrobin project
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 08:02:20 PM »
ive read it all, it hasnt updated in quite a while  :( its worth a read if you can stand crossovers.
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 06:54:06 AM »
Personally they seem to have made up their own B-tech cannon to suit their needs, I despise this fan fic actually.

Partially due to them giving Clancyverse a huge advantage of making B-tech part of their world, so they already know whats going to happen...

And the fact that theirs elements that want this single world to be a huge threat to just about every body in B-tech, even though at the start "Clancy Earth" is a primitive world by B-tech standards.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:03:39 AM by Nebfer »

Offline darktimes

• MechWarrior
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »
I don't agree with your opinion. I doubt that they can still use the cheatbooks as heavily as they did till now. (Steiner growing up with nintendo, some guy I can't recall not dying by the clan mercs, etc, butterflies)
but, what did they defeat militarily till now? pirates and mercs, my god, the houses don't care about them, they're a curiosity, nothing more.
that's why I don't agree with your notion that they made Cearth superior or "a huge threat." they're not. but they want to be.

also, you can't discredit that our computers are pretty much unimaginable to Btech. a entire computer, in your hands! calculating stuff 100 times as fast! beyond visual range! stealth! accurate artillery! Nukes! thousands of nukes!
If you get shot with an AC-20 in the head the hula girl has real Hula girl Physics™!

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »
I don't agree with your opinion. I doubt that they can still use the cheatbooks as heavily as they did till now. (Steiner growing up with nintendo, some guy I can't recall not dying by the clan mercs, etc, butterflies)
but, what did they defeat militarily till now? pirates and mercs, my god, the houses don't care about them, they're a curiosity, nothing more.
that's why I don't agree with your notion that they made Cearth superior or "a huge threat." they're not. but they want to be.

also, you can't discredit that our computers are pretty much unimaginable to Btech. a entire computer, in your hands! calculating stuff 100 times as fast! beyond visual range! stealth! accurate artillery! Nukes! thousands of nukes!
You brought up another point I do not like they treat B-tech computers as crappy to ours, not thinking about the fact that B-tech has holographic gaming consoles (house Steiner hand book). They also ignore the fact that it's the battlemech doing a lot of the functions on the mech (including in assisting in with piloting), have computers with 100 petabyte hard drives (never mind the 100 yottabyte one), and numerous computer companys that equal the Star leagues in quality (in 3025 no less). How about the Computers that can bring up holographic planetary maps detailed down to the individual hills and brooks, and bring them out in seconds? As well as playing out a considerable number of battles on it, both historical and present? Also B-tech allready has small hand held computers (noteputers).

Their military radios are fairly capable, a 100g military radio is often built into soldiers helmets and has a 10km range (at the lest I have yet to see a military radio that light with that kind of range). They also have a 5kg radio with a 50km range (sat com & video capable).

Offline Taemien

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-1
  • Less pew pew, More Dakka!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:14:36 PM »
So what is this supposed to be? Making the Btech Universe as if the 21st century modern Terra (1990-2010) happened with all its advances?

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 03:43:10 AM »
So what is this supposed to be? Making the Btech Universe as if the 21st century modern Terra (1990-2010) happened with all its advances?

Not quote it's a Cross over, it's battletech as of 3025 combined with the tom Clancy's style earth (you know splinter cells, red October, patriot games, ect).
However the Clancy earth is just out side of what is called the periphery in the B-tech universe. So to say theirs now two "earths".

Offline Taemien

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-1
  • Less pew pew, More Dakka!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 05:50:12 AM »

Not quote it's a Cross over, it's battletech as of 3025 combined with the tom Clancy's style earth (you know splinter cells, red October, patriot games, ect).
However the Clancy earth is just out side of what is called the periphery in the B-tech universe. So to say theirs now two "earths".

Ehh... queue a pic of a Firestarter and kill it with fire.

Offline Brainwright

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +34/-2
  • AKA : Rotten
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 02:04:31 AM »
You brought up another point I do not like they treat B-tech computers as crappy to ours, not thinking about the fact that B-tech has holographic gaming consoles (house Steiner hand book). They also ignore the fact that it's the battlemech doing a lot of the functions on the mech (including in assisting in with piloting), have computers with 100 petabyte hard drives (never mind the 100 yottabyte one), and numerous computer companys that equal the Star leagues in quality (in 3025 no less).

I think what a lot of people forget is that engineering is a large part of the Battletech fiction.  So far as they're concerned, if you have the knowledge, you have the capability.

This is far from the truth, with the major part of the technological backslide after the fall of the Star League being the destruction of the factories where commodities were reproduced.  In time, the old schematics became dated and people forgot how to use them anymore.

For example, two microchip plants, one that produces consumer processors and another that produces high-grade processors for missile guidance systems.  Workers between these two plants might be interchangeable, but if one is destroyed, it does not mean the other can retool itself to produce what was being made at the other plant.  Even if it did retool, chances are it might not produce the same product or even just not the same quality of product.  Eventually, it becomes a matter of what's cost effective : either you start putting these high-grade consumer processors into missiles, or you take a gamble trying to redevelop the previous weapons-grade processors.

Most people make do with what they have, so you get a technological backslide. It never was a hard concept for me, why it's so hard for writers to understand is beyond me.
Thanks for the view.

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 09:45:55 PM »
You brought up another point I do not like they treat B-tech computers as crappy to ours, not thinking about the fact that B-tech has holographic gaming consoles (house Steiner hand book). They also ignore the fact that it's the battlemech doing a lot of the functions on the mech (including in assisting in with piloting), have computers with 100 petabyte hard drives (never mind the 100 yottabyte one), and numerous computer companys that equal the Star leagues in quality (in 3025 no less).

I think what a lot of people forget is that engineering is a large part of the Battletech fiction.  So far as they're concerned, if you have the knowledge, you have the capability.

This is far from the truth, with the major part of the technological backslide after the fall of the Star League being the destruction of the factories where commodities were reproduced.  In time, the old schematics became dated and people forgot how to use them anymore.

For example, two microchip plants, one that produces consumer processors and another that produces high-grade processors for missile guidance systems.  Workers between these two plants might be interchangeable, but if one is destroyed, it does not mean the other can retool itself to produce what was being made at the other plant.  Even if it did retool, chances are it might not produce the same product or even just not the same quality of product.  Eventually, it becomes a matter of what's cost effective : either you start putting these high-grade consumer processors into missiles, or you take a gamble trying to redevelop the previous weapons-grade processors.

Most people make do with what they have, so you get a technological backslide. It never was a hard concept for me, why it's so hard for writers to understand is beyond me.

Well Most people their seem to think that if you have the knowledge of how to make it, then it should be no brainier to build it, and that it should be almost impossible to lose that data thanks to computers.

Most worlds in B-tech have population life spans ranging from 80 to 120 or more depending on how developed the world is, (IIRC universe wide it's about 90). This indicates that health care is at lest decent, roughly a similar level to what we have in the developed world (though part of B-techs rates is supposedly due to some mild genetic enhancements -this is noted with that it's possible for Woman to have children at the age of 80 in b-tech).

On many a world Fusion powered cars are not unheard of (and almost exclusive on Terra) with Battery and fuel cells being common, though ICE powered ones are still common.

Holographic video is quite common in B-tech even in the 3025s

Heck B-techs Terra from 1994 to 2007 (B-tech time line) built a space station that housed 2,000 and had extensive factory complexes, and at the time was primitive compared to the typical B-tech world (they also built a large number of Sea Wolf Class Subs -yes that Sea Wolf). And by 2026 eradicated AIDS and a few other diseases like Malaria.

Edit: had to cut short earlier.

Other things to note: B-tech military radios are half decent, as mentioned above a 5kg radio with video ability's as well as sat coms, and what naught has a 50km range (2,500km to satellite). Real world is a bit hard to find but what I can find indicates that manpack radios in that weight have a 10-30km range (~500km to satellite if available).

B-tech infantry IR sights can at the lest detect a man sized target at 1,000m ranges for a 500g device (battlemechs up to 10km). From what I can find this is not to shabby for it's weight. Never mind the battery life (one can leave it on for the better part of a week). Though theirs one rifle with a 1.5km range (fluffed to have ~3km) with a IR and low light sight built in.

It's much the same for Low light optics, though being supposedly able to see a man sized target at 1km ranges with a ~400g sight is quite good for a low light optic (most US military low light optics only seem to have a effective range of ~400m for man sized targets). Battery life is also you can leave it on for the better part of a week.

Though it seems to me most people seem to have the image of B-tech in it's early years, when it was 3025, the clans are not here yet, where it was a bit of a mad max feel, good technology was a bit scarce, things a re slowly improving but not to far of from total disaster. Though this image of B-tech only lasting a few years in real life roughly only 5 or so years. The majority of the time (roughly 20 years) that has not really been the case, even though most people seem to have that feeling of that's what B-tech really is.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:09:28 AM by Nebfer »

Maschinengeist

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 07:34:54 AM »

That is all.

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »
Dropping Clancyverse Earth in BTverse - in any given time period - means that within a couple of years of "first contact" with the rest of the galaxy, John Clark and Ding Chavez will "remove" more heads of state and Khans than the Dancing Joker ever dreamed of (yes, even with early 21st century "primitive" tech), after which Jack Ryan makes a series of rousing speeches which will cause the remaining powers-that-be elect him as the First Lord of Star League. ;D

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
Dropping Clancyverse Earth in BTverse - in any given time period - means that within a couple of years of "first contact" with the rest of the galaxy, John Clark and Ding Chavez will "remove" more heads of state and Khans than the Dancing Joker ever dreamed of (yes, even with early 21st century "primitive" tech), after which Jack Ryan makes a series of rousing speeches which will cause the remaining powers-that-be elect him as the First Lord of Star League. ;D

Sadly I can see this happening

/Jack Ryan- boy scout powers activate!

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline darktimes

• MechWarrior
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 10:53:41 PM »
I can see how some people on the fanfic are a bit biased on earth. its called Cearthwank to include too much better stuff into the story, and I see your reasoning. i mean, the houses themselves would steamroll the GDI at the moment, just simply because of the resources and manpower of hundreds of worlds.

but we also have to see that we never lost much tech, or the way to build tech. talking about computers, of course the star league comps were more advanced than ours. they've got a 1000 year headstart.
what makes the GDI and Cearth dangerous is the speed of which we improve what they have and how fast they reingeenier and miniaturize tech.
take a look at the tag laser. how did they put it in the fic? I think it went alongside the lines of "if anybody ever proposed a laser designator weighing a TON, they would be immediately fired from the team and demoted to janitor."

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 05:44:52 AM »
I can see how some people on the fanfic are a bit biased on earth. its called Cearthwank to include too much better stuff into the story, and I see your reasoning. i mean, the houses themselves would steamroll the GDI at the moment, just simply because of the resources and manpower of hundreds of worlds.

but we also have to see that we never lost much tech, or the way to build tech. talking about computers, of course the star league comps were more advanced than ours. they've got a 1000 year headstart.
what makes the GDI and Cearth dangerous is the speed of which we improve what they have and how fast they reingeenier and miniaturize tech.
take a look at the tag laser. how did they put it in the fic? I think it went alongside the lines of "if anybody ever proposed a laser designator weighing a TON, they would be immediately fired from the team and demoted to janitor."
Which conveniently ignores the fact that B-tech has much lighter TAGs, in the 20kg range.