Author Topic: Building a templar from salvage (image heavy thread)  (Read 6760 times)

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
Building a templar from salvage (image heavy thread)
« on: August 14, 2011, 12:47:58 AM »
Its a repost, but there are enough new people around i thought might enjoy this

First take a reasonable chunk of battlefield salvage

Get it hung, and repack the primary hip actuator

Try and get leg assemblys built next, at the very least it needs to be able to walk itself onto a dropship should the need arise to "bug out"

Leg actuators being load tested, and tweaked

The Right arm assembly and load outs built and fitted

Heat sinks mounted to left torso hardpoints along with left torso ballistic breach, ammo bin awaits install

Ammo bin installed

Paint it up

;D
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
Re: Building a templar from salvage (image heavy thread)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:42:10 AM »
Are most of your mechs built with so much detail inside, or is it just for this one as display?
Fan freaking tastic!

Offline Priest

• MWLL Contributor
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
  • Good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:55:45 AM »
A worthy mech to salvage!  That's very cool. Nice to see some modelers about who enjoy what they do; and manage to make a storyline out of it.

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:28:32 AM »
Are most of your mechs built with so much detail inside, or is it just for this one as display?
Fan freaking tastic!

It depends on how i'm feeling at the time of the build, i like to include a little something somewhere if i can, but i dont always.
One of my MadCats for example has a plate missing on one toe, showing the inner workings.
The Templar was built to the storyline, but its typical of the way they all get built, centre torso/engine space, with side torso spaces added etc etc, while they dont have the internal detail it does, the spaces are there had i wanted to.
I suppose i should consider a project one day where i build everything in detail from the reactor out.

A worthy mech to salvage!  That's very cool. Nice to see some modelers about who enjoy what they do; and manage to make a storyline out of it.

Thanks Mate, i do enjoy it, and i'm glad you liked it too
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:59:08 AM »
If I had the money i would get you to make me a MAd Dog/Vulture LOL

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 03:32:20 AM »
If I had the money i would get you to make me a MAd Dog/Vulture LOL

Funnily enough the last vulture i made is in Canada as we speak

Its an MW4 version as you can see.

I was just looking through my template sheets last week and pulled out the templates for that model, with a view to building 3 more.
But i'm also tossing up doing a new build based on the original artwork too.

Decisions decisions. i could also do a hybrid with the MW4 legs/feet and body and replace the arms with original barrel type cannons
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 03:39:21 AM by [CG]Anastasius Focht »

Offline =CJW=YalK

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +96/-1
  • There's no brakes on the Rape Train
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 04:30:59 PM »
Oh definitely Barrels ftw

What is the scale? And how much do they cost? Just curious, also what do you use to make them?

Expecting understanding and empathy on the internet (especially in Toast [especially by Bill]) = fail.
And I say hey hey hey....I said hey, what's goin' on And I say hey.... hey....I said hey, what's goin' on? >>> THIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yNAwUUsc0

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 12:22:34 AM »
Oh definitely Barrels ftw

What is the scale? And how much do they cost? Just curious, also what do you use to make them?

The average one is about as tall as a can of coke, i use balsa and "bits" to make them, by bits i mean anything that looks right.
for example the chest and back on these BK's were cut from a container from a self saucing pudding bowl, i saw the curve of the bowl as i was throwing it in the bin and had a light bulb moment
I spoted the perfect curves on both the X and Y axis in the bowl and my BK's were born from that .

The hex board should give an idea of scale

As well as plastic stock from the hobby shop

The cost is measured more in time than money, but i guess about 30 bucks each, but that can vary.
SciFi modelling is a passion of mine, and i was hooked on the BT genre from the first tabletop game.

Offline =CJW=YalK

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +96/-1
  • There's no brakes on the Rape Train
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 01:18:46 AM »
Well, definitely cool....it looked like they were made out of metal lol (I know that was the intent) and was impressed with the working if you did wielding etc (still impressed due too ingenuity) but it makes more sense than making them out of metal....

But Bravo for fooling me! Lol

I would totally buy a StormCrow, but not the MW4 version....the CBT barreled Tro version....

Expecting understanding and empathy on the internet (especially in Toast [especially by Bill]) = fail.
And I say hey hey hey....I said hey, what's goin' on And I say hey.... hey....I said hey, what's goin' on? >>> THIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yNAwUUsc0

Offline Priest

• MWLL Contributor
  • Recruit
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 03:49:22 AM »
Think you could pull off a battlemaster? Mull it around with a price and I would definitely be interested.

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 06:14:15 AM »
Think you could pull off a battlemaster? Mull it around with a price and I would definitely be interested.

The battlemaster is one of my favourite mechs,so its on the cards i will build a few one day.
Ive never sold one of these, the Vulture/maddog thats in Canada was given to a clan mate in honour of his mastery of that chassis in MW4, and our many years of battlefield friendship.
If i do manage to get a BM build i'm happy with, i'll certainly keep you in mind. I know it would be going to a good home
 ;D

Having said that the (Soltic HT-128 "Bigfoot") kit sometimes comes up for sale

Its 1/144 scale

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:03:25 AM by [CG]Anastasius Focht »

Offline Priest

• MWLL Contributor
  • Recruit
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 07:26:18 AM »
Please do, and I will keep an eye out myself... much appreciated.

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 07:33:12 AM »
You are welcome Mate, out of interest what do you think of the cover art on natural selection ?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Modeling a BM on that Kit i posted above would be pretty easy, (i actually have the griffin,shadowhawk,thunderbolt in the same kit series, the leg and arm elements are very similar) but i also like some of the torso elements in the NS cover.
Looking at sarna there is quite a lot of variation in the BM chassis, but having played with the original lead figures i prefer the original design.
But as i said there are some elements of the cover art that look great too.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:54:11 AM by [CG]Anastasius Focht »

Offline Priest

• MWLL Contributor
  • Recruit
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 07:28:02 PM »
Love the cover with the center torso elements.  Even the technical readout always made it look a bit 'thick' and the cockpit really prominent.  I love the miniature.. they did an excellent job with the scale and look of it.  I think the cover art is more along the lines of the minature and a better representation.

I am definitely partial to the orignal design... the newer battlemaster designs were never quite the same.

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »
How about a canon summoner!!! I nerdgasmed when I saw the detail with that templar, brovo mate, seriously! And with the pictures taken at each phase it made me feel like i was in the hanger, I could hear the welding and screeching of metal, the smell of coolant and expelled ammunition. Beautiful simply beautiful.

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/