Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT! Possible Upcoming Changes to MWBU  (Read 8986 times)

Offline benben10

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-0
ANNOUNCEMENT! Possible Upcoming Changes to MWBU
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:40:05 AM »
Hello, I am apparently now a ladder admin. So here are some ideas that we have been circulating.

1. All 1v1 duelist ladders will be merged. A challenger will offer a certain amount of chassis or maybe variants that the defender must choose from. The process would be the same as how maps are chosen right now.

2. Team Attrition per player C-bill count will be lowered to 65k.

3. 2v2 pickup ladder. similar to 1v1 duelist in that ranking would be per player but all that would be required is for 4 players to be online and teams are decided. Winners gain points towards their personal ranks, and losers would not.

We also want to setup a Planetary based Ladder and need help developing and testing it.

I thinks thats all that there was to announce. Feel free to post you comments, opinions and suggestions.
member of the 12th Vegan Rangers

Offline CHH Deathshade

• Senior Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • "Helpful Atlas"
    • MW:LL
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT! Possible Upcoming Changes to MWBU
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
It seems that we had players that were purposefully forfeiting themselves because we have matches back to back on one ladder which is impossible unless the other player is responding quickly. You are limited to one challenge per ladder and I have the same ladder matches a few minutes apart with the same two players. Beta Testing?

I deleted all these invalid challenges and resulting forfeits. I will be babysitting all challenges until this gets resolved and will be removing unresponsive players. We will be managing the challenges as they go out and will be hunting down players for matches. ;)

I am working on a way to easily manage league mode dedi's with three team modes. TC, TA and TD. MWBU will reveal more next weekend after we run these new setups through the tests.

The Dedi functions will be going through a change as well. They are currently set to league mode ToS which is the primary mode in Duelist and Team Attrition.

New Server functions listed below:

MWBU Chicago 1
to
MWBU Team Attrition Chicago

MWBU Chicago 2
to
MWBU Team Destruction Chicago

MWBU Cali 1
to
MWBU Solaris Cali
<< which is basically Light/Medium -- Duelist but will run as duel mode for Solaris Open matches.

MWBU Cali 2
to
MWBU Terrain Control Cali

MWBU Public will be running updated rotations and MWBU California Custom will continue to run the most recent versions of maps so the community can preview and help the awesome map makers test their creations.

More information to come after the our regular Saturday 9 PM Central meeting of MWBU devs and contributors.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:23:45 PM by CHH Deathshade »

Offline ELH_Vivicector

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +49/-4
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »
1. All 1v1 duelist ladders will be merged. A challenger will offer a certain amount of chassis or maybe variants that the defender must choose from. The process would be the same as how maps are chosen right now.
Merging ladders is not a good idea. May be choosing a sum of money with 5k step wound be much more fun.

Our dropcom thinks sum is too small. Won't be much interesting configs there.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:20:32 PM »
Our dropcom thinks sum is too small. Won't be much interesting configs there.
[/quote]
Better than all Scat Cs and Thanny Ds ::)

Offline ELH_AIMB

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:08:25 AM »

I have better idea! We can make C-bill count different. For example 65k, 85k(current) and 105k. Then unit leaders choose maps. On first map 65k, second - 85k and on third - 105k. It will bring a variety of gameplay.  8)
Trololo-trololo I'm riding on UFO.

Offline ELH_KillThemALL

• Alphatester
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
  • Eridani Light Horse
    • Eridani Light Horse
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »
This amount of money is not enough for interesting   configs and battles!

I have better idea! We can make C-bill count different. For example 65k, 85k(current) and 105k. Then unit leaders choose maps. On first map 65k, second - 85k and on third - 105k. It will bring a variety of gameplay.  8)
Fully support this idea!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:44:56 PM by ELH_KillThemALL »

Pubs are boring! Twinkletoes
Fundrops are fun!
Planetary League will makes me into ecstasy!

Offline CHH Deathshade

• Senior Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • "Helpful Atlas"
    • MW:LL
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:40:11 PM »
One of the main reasons MWBU is suggesting these new formats is asset class diversity. With the current 85k per player that is in place, your normal lances are made up of Heavies and Assaults with possibly one scout being used. With 65k per player these assault lances will be rare (possible in 8v8 or greater) and most of the lances being composed of diverse classes with a focus more on the lights and medium assets.

Your duels now degenerate down to the best asset per class and having the actual asset name being suggested by the challenger/challenged, it would make sure that any mech/vehicle could be used. We have seen leagues where the asset used (Timberwolf, Ryoken, etc..) was randomly generated after the match was finalized.

MWBU suggests having the players give these as options and will keep these types of duels from being Flea A vs Flea B. Which if any of you old mechwarriors remember, was near impossible to play due to the fact that the flea just had speed and MMG's. It takes awhile to kill even a light with MMG's unless you just stood perfectly still.

This is still being hashed out with the current staff and will be finalized in our next Sat meetings.

Offline ELH_Vivicector

• Star Colonel
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 04:45:49 PM »
Idea of choosing asset before the match would suck. No one should know, what his enemy is going to use and people should have a chance to make some last-minute changes.

I agree, that now duels are about "the best asset per class". But why not use money-oriented logic? Attacker suggest 3 sums of money, defender selects one of them. Combatants can select any mech, that would suit in that sum.

Offline ELH_Nivix

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
  • Eridani Light Horse
    • Eridani Light Horse
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »
benben10,

Nice idea. I guess, it will make duels much more comfortable.

65k per player is too low amount, if it will be fixed value. I like AIMB's idea where on first map will play 65k, second map 85k and third 105k. In this case, we can use almost all assets in game.

DeathShade,

With the current 85k per player that is in place, your normal lances are made up of Heavies and Assaults with possibly one scout being used.

Try to make a dropdec with Heavies and Assaults and show me it. Never saw Heavies and Assaults dropdecs yet on 340k per team. :) ELH as team played matches in MWBU more than other teams and most of the time we saw: 3 Heavy and 2 Medium mechs on map. Assaults very rare, 'cause people better will take Thor or Nova Cat or Timber Wolf than slow and weak Mauler or Atlas. So, problems isn't because of 85k per player, it's because MWLL.

With 65k per player these assault lances will be rare (possible in 8v8 or greater) and most of the lances being composed of diverse classes with a focus more on the lights and medium assets.

I guess, it will be medium-light dropdec. 65k even not Bushwacker and if you will take some founds from other pilot, he will take some light mech.

Your duels now degenerate down to the best asset per class

Ain't true. Except Osiris and most of Assaults mechs, all other mech is in use.

having the actual asset name being suggested by the challenger/challenged, it would make sure that any mech/vehicle could be used.

It will be very boring if you know what mechs will be against you.
Do good things and good things happen to you.

Offline ELH_Vivicector

• Star Colonel
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 07:15:51 PM »
One of the main reasons MWBU is suggesting these new formats is asset class diversity.
Deathshade, you are saying that the reason of changes is lack of diversity of dropdecks, their repeatability. You want to lower the sum of money in order to increase that diversity. By the obvious result of cutting down money would be even less diversity, then now. No Assaults, no much use for ASF and AA.
With the current 85k per player that is in place, your normal lances are made up of Heavies and Assaults with possibly one scout being used.
Lol, it is ridiculous. When did you play drops or make 85k per player dropdeck last time?
With 65k per player these assault lances will be rare (possible in 8v8 or greater)
Even in 10v10 you would be hardly able to create a lance of AS mechs. Rarely 1-2 AS or heavies in 8v8 only.

and most of the lances being composed of diverse classes with a focus more on the lights and medium assets.
We won't see "diverse classes", but just lights and mediums with a little bit of heavies.

P.S. Tripod, do you really think that Ullers C and Owenses C would be better, than SCats C and Thannies D?

This post represent the official position of ELH.

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
P.S. Tripod, do you really think that Ullers C and Owenses C would be better, than SCats C and Thannies D?
Better than dicking around for an hour waiting for one team to make a move, since you can just zerg rush them if you're in lighter mechs.
"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 06:08:10 AM »
Perhaps for Duelist and/ or the rest of the personal challenges, the Attacker chooses the map, and the Defender chooses the Chassis?

Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline ELH_Vivicector

• Star Colonel
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 07:44:18 AM »
Better than dicking around for an hour waiting for one team to make a move, since you can just zerg rush them if you're in lighter mechs.
Oh, tactics? Long range fights? To hell with it, CHAAARGE!!! Owens C  rush for the win!

Clearly, this is just what I don't want  to see.

If people are waiting before the attack, it means they are thinking. Yep, sometimes people do such thing. It really helps on the battlefield.

So, you just want to change league fights to brawls and zerg rushes?

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 01:24:24 PM »
Right now they are just zerg fights and hill camps. Hell, we just had a few games that were basically only that

At most, I'd move the price up to 70k so a heavy or two can show up without everyone else being in Osirises, but even with that small boost I predict MASSIVE Bushy B/D shitstorms just like there are MASSIVE Thanny D/Thor A/Scat C/Vulture B/Demo shitstorms now because EVERYONE can afford a good mech

Offline ELH_Vivicector

• Star Colonel
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 04:16:50 PM »
I can rarely see hill camps now. It is not effective. Usually, long range is about mobile sniping, not camping.

Zerg... Hm. Good commanders are trying to come close undetected, not just WAAAGHH rushing. But any close range fight will be a brawl.

The biggest part is that advised changes won't make much difference. You can't just cut diversity and expect anything good out of it. Probably, there won't be any much long range fights. Just close range  mech brawls. Yep, it is way better, then mobile long range sniping, hill camping, LT + spotter + cover, long/short range + ASF support, tank based configs, ASF-based configs... ;D ???

P.S. If 2 teams, whose skill only allow zerging and praying to win come together, we would probably get zerg rush and brawl. If at least 1 team knows how to play, we will get several dead zergs...