Author Topic: Guess the chassis  (Read 16979 times)

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
Re: Guess the chassis
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 12:12:45 AM »
cannons forming up

You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 12:13:42 AM »

Arms in progress, I'm using the timberwolf style bendy straw assembly because the pivot style doesnt allow for power cables etc.
the bendy part of a drinking straw with pipe cleaner inside gives me flexibility in the limb
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

Offline AXEL

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +9/-2
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 03:49:06 AM »
Great  job on that canopy, keep up the good work!

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 06:51:22 AM »
Great  job on that canopy, keep up the good work!

Thanks AXEL, im very happy with the look, i think its an improvement on the MW4 canopy depicted below

I have high hopes this hybrid between CBT and MW4 styles will work out well

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 07:59:38 AM »
Hot off the press, finally the first is looking like its almost there

Not sure if the gun barrels are too long or just right, all input welcome

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 02:41:33 AM »
Yes, I think they're about 15-20% too long TBH.

Actually, I think the upper arm (above the curving "elbow" section) is also a little too long and is therefore creating the dissonance.  The length of that section is pushing the gun barrels well below the torso pivot point and detracting from that Velociraptor/T-Rex "Stubby arms" feel that implies "Vulture".  It's your interpretation, so the "stubbiness" of the arms is up to your taste, but personally I'd make them more "stubby" for that Bird-of-Prey feel.

Got to say, it's looking pretty fine though, I'd love to have a couple of Companys of 'mechs like this on a rescaled Tabletop game!!!  8)

Pecuniam non olet
Quid enim saluis infamia nummis

"Make this game my way, because I HAVE A DISORDER!" - VictorMorson
".....show us on the doll where MWLL touched you bad." - KingLeer

Offline Q

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-0
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 03:39:42 AM »
I think I'd go get my wife pregnant just to give you our first born in exchange for some of your models...

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 05:15:28 AM »
Thanks Guys,
You are right the length of the forearms does drop them below the normal position.

Fixing that will be a real pain, since the mechanism that allows it to pivot at the "wrist" is now inside the assembly, still ive only done one so far, so i olny have to rebuild the one set.
the barrel length is easier to fix, i can either leave as is and mount them further back under the wrist assembly, or cut off the fronts and shorten them that way or both, or as you say be happy with a new interpretation on the design.

Some designs are like the one above others.....

Are different.

there is a bit of variation even before we start with MW4 pod style arms

Ive run out of a certain stock of plastic, so i have a few days to think about it.

I appreciate the input, it helps to have another pov
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:20:54 AM by [CG]Anastasius Focht »

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »
Actually the more I look at the die-casts with the almost skeletal and very rounded feel to them, the more and more I like the look of them with the extended barrel arms lowslung.  I am tempted to tell you to ignore everything I said earlier!  :-[ ::)..trouble with that is that I'd then recommend a slight change to the CT, to make it more rounded (That CT Bevel is a key feature of the CBT model, and I'd argue the body needs that curve which is sympathetic to the gun barrel arms). That might not be such a PITA as shortening the arms (which I am not convinced is really an issue after seeing the concept art you are working from).  You could perhaps glue a beveled area on top of what you have already without cutting into the body you have?

But as I say I like your models, I've only done 3D on computers and while it gives me nice screensavers I can hardly use them in a super-sized CBT game!  It's your interpretation, and what you've got already is VERY Cool indeed, I can see that it's a tricky project as the MW4 model = Square Peg, and the CBT model = Round Hole!  You've certainly set yourself a challenge!!!

Pecuniam non olet

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 11:46:44 PM »
Yeah the variation in the concept art makes it a tough call doesnt it, none the less i took your advice for my next chassis here it is for comparrison, the barrels are shorter and the cannon assembly sits higher on the "wrist"

I think its truer to the design myself although the first one is not unpleasant to look at either, but the length of the barrels reminded me of the masakari/warhawk, which at a certain level did the vulture chassis a disservice.
The barrels are now level with the beak of the mech, which i think is a better design.
They ride over the top half of the hip actuator hub instead of the lower half in the first chassis.
The shorter barrels also help this model scale better with the rest of my collection , thats perhaps one of the most difficult aspects of these models is keeping each build in scale with all the others, i have to factor in the tech base, as well as things like jump, a 75 ton with jump has to look slightly smaller than a 75 without etc.

Anyway from here i can either copy and convert to the second design, or the first for the rest of the project

Second design stand alone pic

I hear what you say about the curve on the CBT version, and i was sorely tempted to just build these 4 from the ground up in the CBT style, my timberwolves/madcats are CBT and that would have made for a perfect match when putting a star together. But i had the templates left from my original MW4 vulture model, and using them took months off the build.
I knew i was going to hybridise them, and am rather happy with the result

Your advice about the first design was an invaluable contribution to the second, so i would be interested in which you like better, as i said the rest of the project can go down either path now, personally i think the design changes you suggested bring the model closer to the true vulture design.
Thanks again for the input

Offline Q

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-0
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 01:36:54 AM »
I'm going to keep my opinion short and sweet.

I like the second better.  It reminds me of a Vulture.

I like the first, but the arms/cannons remind me more of a Marauder.

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 02:12:16 AM »
Thanks Mate,
I agree, the second seems more like the vulture should look.
The first looks fine, but the second seems a little more authentic

Cheers

Offline -SM-SUCKER

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +82/-0
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »
Great work so far.
I could only find one small issue: the arms weapons seem to be a bit to far apart from the torso. Which seems unfitting for a rather slim mech.

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 04:19:57 AM »
Thanks Mate
Definately something to keep in mind when i lock the shoulder joint later, should be easy to bring them in a little tighter.

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 01:38:38 PM »
I'm liking the changes you've made, looking better and better.

Pecuniam non olet