Author Topic: Battle armor SSRM killing the user  (Read 12595 times)

Offline Deathmancer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-0
Battle armor SSRM killing the user
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:38:43 AM »
This is becoming a bigger and bigger issue for me lately my own battle armor  ssrm2 are killing me.
I know this problem is known to some degree and i feel i need to bring it to light once again.

Offline CHH Aurailius

• Technical Designer
  • MWLL Developer
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-0
Re: Battle armor SSRM killing the user
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:02:52 AM »
I have an inkling as to why this is happening.  I'll try some things.

Offline Errodien Ward

• Alphatester
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +56/-0
  • Delicious...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:14:51 AM »
A band aid fix would be to just code the missiles to not do damage to the user until a true fix is found. Only downside I can see is that a player would be able to jump on top of a mech/vehicle and use the missiles without fear of dieing (Oh the OP'ness!).

This would at least stop people from being gimped randomly.

Offline -SM-SUCKER

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +82/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:41:48 AM »
I noticed two things that can lead to SRM-suicide (SS):
1. Dumb user shoots ground/railing/mech which is close to the dumb user (most common case)
2. LAMS hits the SRMS

Offline Deathmancer

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 02:09:13 PM »
1. Dumb user shoots ground/railing/mech which is close to the dumb user (most common case)
2. LAMS hits the SRMS

While these things are valid this is not the only cause.

I stand in an empty field and fire one off and it hurts me. Speculation, for all i know it could be how my player model is facing one way while i am facing a slightly different angle and the physics do the rest.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:19:01 PM by Deathmancer »

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
2. LAMS hits the SRMS

Neg, trust me i have been on the downward slope of a hill and died, no LAMS in site

Offline Waffnuffly

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +73/-0
  • Up next on the Violence Channel: "Oww, My Balls!"
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 06:05:26 PM »
This absolutely can happen to anyone at any time for virtually no reason I'm aware of. Glad it's being looked into though!

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
In my experience it may happen if I jump forward while shooting the SRM's though it surely has happened earlier while sidestepping :(

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 08:08:43 PM »
I have been standing still with it happening.
I even use my custom mapped command to jump at times and have had it happen, mid air falling 'down'. Would be nice to get this fixed lol, nothing more paining then running to a mech getting nice and close while he is turned the other way and POW dead.

Offline -SM-SUCKER

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +82/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 11:51:46 PM »
Are there any bushes around?
I heard some of them are bulletproof.

Offline ~SJ~KorbinWimmer

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 12:18:35 AM »
The SRM spawns behind the BA sometimes and can fly through him.  I've killed BA behind me because of this (and myself).

Easily, noticeable if you stand with you back to a wall and fire SRMs off.  Every once and awhile one will bug, not fly straight, and explode in the wall behind you.

Offline Deathmancer

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 01:17:12 AM »
Just now i was shooting an empy partisan with my ac2, i run walk straight backwards and fire my BA ssrm and the first one kills me

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
I have an inkling as to why this is happening.  I'll try some things.

That is good to know. I look forward to a fix and will thank you profusely if it works. :)

Quote from: -SM-SUCKER
2. LAMS hits the SRMS

Are there any bushes around?
I heard some of them are bulletproof.

I like how it's not enough for some of the best BA players on MWLL to say it's a bug, and for new players independently to notice the bug.

As far as bushes, you may be surprised but if you shoot a BA SRM at a target through bushes, the missiles will explode on the bush AND hit the target. Are the first explosions real? I dunno, I try to avoid killing myself. You can test it out next time you play Savannah Pro, though.

I've also had my SSRMs intercepted by LAMS before. LAMS doesn't react quickly enough to set off the missile close enough to a BA to kill it. Remember the explosion radius is only like 2m. Sometimes the laser hits ME, though. When that happens, I take a little bit of damage. Or maybe it's the explosion and it just looks like that, but I can arc SSRMs so that the LAMS don't hit me and I don't take any damage then.

From a different topic:
There are a lot of people who have never seen the BA SSRM bug because they almost never use those weapons. Well fortunately, I just saw a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvjux40Vnic

A new player to MWLL. Go to 5:05. It looks to me like he only fired one missile, the one in the left tube. Now I can see the arguments:

1) He might have fired both missiles, and the right one didn't go over the bump.
Answer: Maybe, but I didn't hear a second missile streak sound.
2) All weapons fire from the center of the reticule.
Answer: His reticule was still over the bump, and this happens regardless of the surrounding terrain. It even sometimes happens in the air.

BTW as for all my responses: after giving him some tips, he asked me on my channel why his Awesome was destroyed.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:40:47 AM by Knightcrawler »

Offline Eximo

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 01:53:47 AM »
Yeah, most times I've noticed it I've been standing on what looks like flat terrain and I let loose at something and take all the damage. To avoid this I've been jumping slightly into the air or firing only one SRM at a time (depending on how dangerous jumping into the air is)

I imagine that since most of the maps are tested with Mechs and vehicles and not every square is inch looked over in a BA that it could be the terrain just having a little invisible bump in front of the BA at/near ground level. Such as the occasional, "holy crap my tank just flipped over for no reason!", kind of thing.

Though the SRMs firing widely makes a lot more sense...

Offline CGB [Blackthorne]

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 02:08:44 AM »
....To avoid this I've been jumping slightly into the air....

I've been trying this as well and it seems to help a little bit.

Its hard enough to stay alive as a BA as it is, so it's nice to see a Dev trying to solve this problem.