Author Topic: Server Authentication Failed  (Read 8794 times)

Offline Sendokage

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Server Authentication Failed
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:29:54 PM »
Hi All,

I am new to the forums and new to the game though I am a long time Battletech fan starting 23 years ago when it was 3025. Forgive me if this questions has been asked prior but there is a lot of content here to scroll through.

I have downloaded and patched to the most up to date version and when I try and join an internet game I find that I keep getting the same message when I attempt to join servers. I get "server authentication failed" each time.

I am in Amsterdam but I have pretty fast cable so I don't think its ping. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
Re: Server Authentication Failed
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:53:29 PM »
What number is the error? (3)? (That's a failed cd key check)

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 03:14:50 AM »
Which "Server Authentication" ?

Server Authentication (1) - Wrong server password
Server Authentication (2) - Your PunkBuster is either outdated or corrupt!
Server Authentication (3) - Your CD-Key is corrupt!
Server Authentication (4) - You are not logged in!

If (1) you will need the correct password for the server that it is locked by the administrator of that server.

If (2) you will need to make sure that PunkBuster is updated for Crysis, though for MWLL you will need to disable PunkBuster.

If (3) you will need to re-enter your CD-Key. (See infra)

[Crysis Wars Hard-Copy] Server Authentication Failed (3)

Add CD-Key via the Tools application
1. Go to "..\My Documents\My Games\" and delete the whole "Crysis Wars" folder.
2. On the Crysis Warheads DVD open the folder "Tools" and double click on "Crysis_Warhead(R)_code.exe".
3. Re-Enter your CD-Key in capital letters and click "OK".
4. Launch Crysis Wars and create a new Profile.
5. Test to see if the Key has been successfully installed by joining a Multiplayer game with Punkbuster enabled.

Add CD-Key manually to Registry
1a. If Windows XP: Start -> Run
1b. If Windows Vista/Windows 7: Start -> All Programs -> Accessoires -> Run
2. Type in "regedit" (without "") and press Enter
3. Search for the CD Key manually: Edit > Find (Ctrl+F) > type "ergc" (without "") and press Enter
4. Windows 32-Bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Crysis Wars\ergc
5. Windows 64-Bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Crysis Wars\ergc
6. Check if your CD-Key is available as a value in the right window. If not double-click on "(Default)" and type
in the key without "-" and in capital letters. (NB: Some OS actually has the "-" between the 4-digit code)
7. Close the regedit.exe and run Crysis Wars once and login with your Profile.

[Crysis Wars STEAM-Copy] Server Authentication Failed (3)

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/2011-01/steam-cd-key-issues/
Many new users in our community have bought  the Steam super sale for the Crysis Maximum Edition and are facing the same problem: Authentication Failed (3) when connecting to a Wars or MWLL server.

We would like to state that this is not an issue with Mechwarrior: Living Legends. Our suspicion is that Steam supplied a flawed installer or key in their distribution system which will popup a warning message when trying to play an Online game. This can be confirmed by opening up regular Crysis Wars / Crysis and go to Multiplayer –> Internet and selecting a CD Key protected server (many servers are not asking for a CD key authentication whereas MWLL will always ask for a key). Usually the ones running PunkBuster are protected and can be used for testing. Please use multiple server to test if your CD Key really is rejected.

Once you receive the message Your CD Key is invalid you are offered to enter your CD key manually. Sadly this will not fix the underlying issue: Steam overwrites the CD key each time you launch the game. This is done by the Steam Application using a helper script that tells it: Whenever the game is started, write the following Key in the registry. This key is not properly formatted for many users, it is missing the “-” (dashes) in the CD Key (“AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD” format) and hence will be rejected by the authentication process.

Luckily we have a bright and eager community that never gives up!  lonkero173 posted a solution that will be extended to allow auto-adding the proper key each time.

Open the following file in a text editor (ex. Notepad): [steam root]\steamapps\common\crysis wars\installscript.vdf

This is just an extract from the file but the %CDKEY% part is important:

“registry”

{
    “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Electronic Arts\\Electronic Arts\\Crysis Wars\\ergc”
    {
    “string”
    {
    “(Default)”      ”%CDKEY%”
    }
    }

This is the part that overwrite your CD key with the wrong one. To fix this issue permanently remove the %CDKEY% part and replace it with the properly formatted Crysis Wars CD Key. You will receive this one with your Crysis Warhead Installation by right clicking on the Crysis Warhead link in your Game Library and selecting “Show Product Key“.

One you entered this key in the install script it will still overwrite your CD key but this time with a properly formatted one. Your CD Key issues are now resolved!

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline Sendokage

• Bondsman
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:45:14 AM »
Thanks guys - it is indeed a cd key issue. IE (3). Will try the fix when I get home from work. Keen to get into the action and get my tail shot off!

Offline Sendokage

• Bondsman
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:28:28 AM »
Thanks guys you were right and I am now enjoying this awesome game. Experiencing some crashes when also skyping with a mate (when we are playing together). Not sure if there is a conflict there or not. It hasn't crashed before - just when skyping too. Anyone else have this issue that you know of?

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »
If you run on a 32 bit architecture you may be subject to CTD more frequently.

If you want you can enable the debug.dll's (in the MWLL.Launcher/Advanced options/) so whenever you crash a report is (hopefully) submitted.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein

Offline floge

• Bondsman
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
Which "Server Authentication" ?

Server Authentication (1) - Wrong server password
Server Authentication (2) - Your PunkBuster is either outdated or corrupt!
Server Authentication (3) - Your CD-Key is corrupt!
Server Authentication (4) - You are not logged in!

If (1) you will need the correct password for the server that it is locked by the administrator of that server.

If (2) you will need to make sure that PunkBuster is updated for Crysis, though for MWLL you will need to disable PunkBuster.

If (3) you will need to re-enter your CD-Key. (See infra)

[Crysis Wars Hard-Copy] Server Authentication Failed (3)

Add CD-Key via the Tools application
1. Go to "..\My Documents\My Games\" and delete the whole "Crysis Wars" folder.
2. On the Crysis Warheads DVD open the folder "Tools" and double click on "Crysis_Warhead(R)_code.exe".
3. Re-Enter your CD-Key in capital letters and click "OK".
4. Launch Crysis Wars and create a new Profile.
5. Test to see if the Key has been successfully installed by joining a Multiplayer game with Punkbuster enabled.

Add CD-Key manually to Registry
1a. If Windows XP: Start -> Run
1b. If Windows Vista/Windows 7: Start -> All Programs -> Accessoires -> Run
2. Type in "regedit" (without "") and press Enter
3. Search for the CD Key manually: Edit > Find (Ctrl+F) > type "ergc" (without "") and press Enter
4. Windows 32-Bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Crysis Wars\ergc
5. Windows 64-Bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Crysis Wars\ergc
6. Check if your CD-Key is available as a value in the right window. If not double-click on "(Default)" and type
in the key without "-" and in capital letters. (NB: Some OS actually has the "-" between the 4-digit code)
7. Close the regedit.exe and run Crysis Wars once and login with your Profile.

[Crysis Wars STEAM-Copy] Server Authentication Failed (3)

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/2011-01/steam-cd-key-issues/
Many new users in our community have bought  the Steam super sale for the Crysis Maximum Edition and are facing the same problem: Authentication Failed (3) when connecting to a Wars or MWLL server.

We would like to state that this is not an issue with Mechwarrior: Living Legends. Our suspicion is that Steam supplied a flawed installer or key in their distribution system which will popup a warning message when trying to play an Online game. This can be confirmed by opening up regular Crysis Wars / Crysis and go to Multiplayer –> Internet and selecting a CD Key protected server (many servers are not asking for a CD key authentication whereas MWLL will always ask for a key). Usually the ones running PunkBuster are protected and can be used for testing. Please use multiple server to test if your CD Key really is rejected.

Once you receive the message Your CD Key is invalid you are offered to enter your CD key manually. Sadly this will not fix the underlying issue: Steam overwrites the CD key each time you launch the game. This is done by the Steam Application using a helper script that tells it: Whenever the game is started, write the following Key in the registry. This key is not properly formatted for many users, it is missing the “-” (dashes) in the CD Key (“AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD” format) and hence will be rejected by the authentication process.

Luckily we have a bright and eager community that never gives up!  lonkero173 posted a solution that will be extended to allow auto-adding the proper key each time.

Open the following file in a text editor (ex. Notepad): [steam root]\steamapps\common\crysis wars\installscript.vdf

This is just an extract from the file but the %CDKEY% part is important:

“registry”

{
    “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Electronic Arts\\Electronic Arts\\Crysis Wars\\ergc”
    {
    “string”
    {
    “(Default)”      ”%CDKEY%”
    }
    }

This is the part that overwrite your CD key with the wrong one. To fix this issue permanently remove the %CDKEY% part and replace it with the properly formatted Crysis Wars CD Key. You will receive this one with your Crysis Warhead Installation by right clicking on the Crysis Warhead link in your Game Library and selecting “Show Product Key“.

One you entered this key in the install script it will still overwrite your CD key but this time with a properly formatted one. Your CD Key issues are now resolved!

So ive tried inserting the seriel key in the installscript properly formated and not formated at all using this format AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD gets me Server auth. failed 3 dont really know what else i can do atm other then maybe see if the steam support might give me an new seriel key or buy another copy of Crysis warhead ? =(

Offline Havokk

• Bondsman
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »
i know this is old hat here but i have tried  manual entry for the key and even got ea too give up 2 new key codes but this workaround just isnt fixing the authent error, has there been any other workarounds for this problem???

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
    • The Living Legends

Offline joechuck74

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 09:14:33 PM »
Hey everyone,

I installed Crysis through Steam and had the same issue - Server Authentication (3) - Your CD-Key is corrupt!.

After editing ~\steamapps\common\crysis wars\installscript.vdf, the registry key storing the CD key must be updated to include the correct format as well.   

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Crysis Wars\ergc

Modify from:
AAAABBBBCCCCDDDD

To:
AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD

Should be g2g after that.

Offline Neo215

• Bondsman
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 06:33:41 PM »
I've been getting the same CD key error when I try to join a server on both games. Tried to enter the cd-key correctly in the registry, and that didn't fix the problem. Have no idea what i'm doing wrong.

Offline Lokius

• Bondsman
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 07:45:37 PM »
I've been getting the same CD key error when I try to join a server on both games. Tried to enter the cd-key correctly in the registry, and that didn't fix the problem. Have no idea what i'm doing wrong.

If you bought the game through Steam they probably gave you a non working key or 1 that wont register with the servers.
Only way to fix that is to contact EA and they will give you a new one, through the online chat is probably the quickest.

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 07:52:37 AM »

This appeared after you followed the install instructions to join a Crysis Wars server enabled with PunkBuster to authenticate your CD-Key by, before executing MWLL?

Contacting EA will only acertain whether or not the CD-Key is valid, and if not a should be given as long as the client can submit proof of the purchase.