Which "Server Authentication" ?
Server Authentication (1) - Wrong server password
Server Authentication (2) - Your PunkBuster is either outdated or corrupt!
Server Authentication (3) - Your CD-Key is corrupt!
Server Authentication (4) - You are not logged in!
If (1) you will need the correct password for the server that it is locked by the administrator of that server.
If (2) you will need to make sure that PunkBuster is updated for Crysis, though for MWLL you will need to disable PunkBuster.
If (3) you will need to re-enter your CD-Key. (See infra)
[Crysis Wars Hard-Copy] Server Authentication Failed (3)
Add CD-Key via the Tools application
1. Go to "..\My Documents\My Games\" and delete the whole "Crysis Wars" folder.
2. On the Crysis Warheads DVD open the folder "Tools" and double click on "Crysis_Warhead(R)_code.exe".
3. Re-Enter your CD-Key in capital letters and click "OK".
4. Launch Crysis Wars and create a new Profile.
5. Test to see if the Key has been successfully installed by joining a Multiplayer game with Punkbuster enabled.
Add CD-Key manually to Registry
1a. If Windows XP: Start -> Run
1b. If Windows Vista/Windows 7: Start -> All Programs -> Accessoires -> Run
2. Type in "regedit" (without "") and press Enter
3. Search for the CD Key manually: Edit > Find (Ctrl+F) > type "ergc" (without "") and press Enter
4. Windows 32-Bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Crysis Wars\ergc
5. Windows 64-Bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Crysis Wars\ergc
6. Check if your CD-Key is available as a value in the right window. If not double-click on "(Default)" and type
in the key without "-" and in capital letters. (NB: Some OS actually has the "-" between the 4-digit code)
7. Close the regedit.exe and run Crysis Wars once and login with your Profile.
[Crysis Wars STEAM-Copy] Server Authentication Failed (3)http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/2011-01/steam-cd-key-issues/
Many new users in our community have bought the Steam super sale for the Crysis Maximum Edition and are facing the same problem: Authentication Failed (3) when connecting to a Wars or MWLL server.
We would like to state that this is not an issue with Mechwarrior: Living Legends. Our suspicion is that Steam supplied a flawed installer or key in their distribution system which will popup a warning message when trying to play an Online game. This can be confirmed by opening up regular Crysis Wars / Crysis and go to Multiplayer –> Internet and selecting a CD Key protected server (many servers are not asking for a CD key authentication whereas MWLL will always ask for a key). Usually the ones running PunkBuster are protected and can be used for testing. Please use multiple server to test if your CD Key really is rejected.
Once you receive the message Your CD Key is invalid you are offered to enter your CD key manually. Sadly this will not fix the underlying issue: Steam overwrites the CD key each time you launch the game. This is done by the Steam Application using a helper script that tells it: Whenever the game is started, write the following Key in the registry. This key is not properly formatted for many users, it is missing the “-” (dashes) in the CD Key (“AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD” format) and hence will be rejected by the authentication process.
Luckily we have a bright and eager community that never gives up! lonkero173 posted a solution that will be extended to allow auto-adding the proper key each time.
Open the following file in a text editor (ex. Notepad): [steam root]\steamapps\common\crysis wars\installscript.vdf
This is just an extract from the file but the %CDKEY% part is important:
“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Electronic Arts\\Electronic Arts\\Crysis Wars\\ergc”
This is the part that overwrite your CD key with the wrong one. To fix this issue permanently remove the %CDKEY% part and replace it with the properly formatted Crysis Wars CD Key. You will receive this one with your Crysis Warhead Installation by right clicking on the Crysis Warhead link in your Game Library and selecting “Show Product Key“.
One you entered this key in the install script it will still overwrite your CD key but this time with a properly formatted one. Your CD Key issues are now resolved!