Author Topic: Replacing the featured article for a random article showcase  (Read 2049 times)

Offline DFDelta

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +145/-1
  • Wiki Staff
    • My Youtube page
Replacing the featured article for a random article showcase
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:50:49 PM »
Would it be possible to remove the featured article and instead have it show a random article from a pool on every reload of the wiki?
Every time a good article gets released it could be instered into the pool, so its no problem if it would start out with only 3 or 4 articles.
Unfortunally I have no idea what is possible with wiki-editing, so that might not be doable in the first place.

If something like that was possible, could we gather ideas for the pool here? Examples of good articles for such a random showcase:
- The basic guide
- The old LRM camping article (tough I think it should be renamed to "missile camping"), as well as guides to other popular tactics
- Combat Guide

Altough most of them could require some overhaul of one kind or another.
Join the MWLL wiki today, your contributions will make the wiki a better place.

In Lyran Commonwealth, Atlas scouts you.

Offline Cygma

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +65/-1
    • 7th Regiment Wolfs Dragoons
Re: Replacing the featured article for a random article showcase
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 01:06:20 AM »
It's very likely possible and sounds like a good idea - the only problem is that someone would have to find the time to figure out how (and to set it up) :)
<Insert cool content here>

Offline Cygma

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +65/-1
    • 7th Regiment Wolfs Dragoons
Re: Replacing the featured article for a random article showcase
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:52:05 AM »
While i added pseudo-random selection (using the timestamp) to Main Page - Featured, the problem is that the pages are still cached.

For now it only changes when the cache is purged either indirectly (e.g. edits) or explicitly (i.e. adding &action=purge).
<Insert cool content here>