Author Topic: 5 suggestions  (Read 893 times)

Offline The Indigo Kid

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
5 suggestions
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »
Great conversion! On behalf of Clan Ghost Bear, we can't thank you enough for providing this incredible platform for Battletech. The strategy and balance of the game is world-class.

Whether you knew it or not, you managed to include almost ALL of my MW5 wish list requests which were made back in 2008 (about half way down the page):

http://www.mektek.net/forums/topic/9149-mech-warrior-5-wish-list/page__st__1400

Suggestion 1: When the game ends, have the final score screen display for about twice as long so we can reflect on the last 60 minutes of play. This gives us time to note good players and ponder our own performance. The mind naturally finds itself thinking about what could be improved upon in our own performance. This brief pause for reflection helps all players improve their skill. If this idea is not acceptable, at least have the final score screen accessible while the new map is loading.

Suggestion 2: This is more of a concept than a simple addition. The concept is to have something like an RTS strategy layer to this game by assigning roles (before the game starts).  The team leader could define and assign (mandate even?) strategy roles to team members offense/defense/runner/protector/weight class/team leader/unit leaders/flusher/bait). The team leader would not actually pilot a mech but instead have a screen filled with strategy information (something like the map now except with teammate names on the map and also maybe a split spectator view so the team leader can see what is happening on the battlefield. Possibly even range to target information. Objectives should be definable by team leader while in game. The larger concept here being that the team leader orchestrates the strategy of their team. Good team leaders employing good RTS-type strategy using real teammates in Mechs instead of RTS-AI.

Suggestion 3: DFA MW2 style where one mech can damage another by jump jetting onto another mech's head.

Suggestion 4:  Insignia customization. The game should accept several picture formats in options menu and automatically resize/reformat to be compatible with game. The purpose of this would be so that Clans could wear their logos on their mechs/vehicles/planes.

Suggestion 5: Foggy Windshields. On cold maps, have condensation on your mech's windshield. The rate of condensation should be directly proportionate to your level of activity. The condensation should be removable by manual operation of a windshield wiper.

Thanks again and keep up the amazing work!

The Indigo Kid (Indy)

Offline Xesle

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +84/-19
  • Git gud scrubs
Re: 5 suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »
Suggestion 1:  You can press F12 for screenshots at any time, so you can do so while the final scoreboard is displayed if you wish to view it later.

Suggestion 2:  Sounds alot like what FROMSOFTWARE is trying to do with Armored Core V.  I think it sounds very cool, but I have my doubts about its implementation given how stubborn many people on the internets can be when it comes to following instruction.

Suggestion 3:  I'm not entirely sure about this one, but I think DFA might not be possible in MWLL due to limitations of the game engine.  It is however, very possibly to destroy an Aerospace fighter with a mech by jumping in front of it and making it hit your legs. 

Suggestion 4:  I'm sure this is only a matter of time.  Remember, we're still only in beta.

Suggestion 5:  I think some maps do this.  I'm pretty sure your cockpit cover frosts over whenever it is night cycle on Extremity.

Prodigal son my ass.

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-23
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:57:39 PM »
Suggestion 1:  You can press F12 for screenshots at any time, so you can do so while the final scoreboard is displayed if you wish to view it later.

I think his point is actually to be able to congratulate the own or enemy team as well as single players for a game well played. I would really like to be able to chat for 10-15 seconds after the match ends, if only so ppl can write a quick "gg". It would help the spirit of all players when their sportsmanship and effort goes acknowledged even though they lost the match.

Suggestion 2:  A rather big coding and graphics effort, but one that I would absolutely like to see in the future, especially for TC. The old Natural Selection mod for Half-Life did this really well, and there was something similar in Tribes 2. Not to mention that MW:O seems to include this as well...

Suggestion 3:  This would go along with the general implementation of melee attacks. It certainly a central part of the Classic BattleTech game, but needs to be balanced carefully.

Suggestion 4:  Good idea, but maybe custom designs should be pass under the eyes of a third person or be posted here for all to see before it gets implemented, otherwise there WILL be jerk who paint their mechs with Swastikas etc.

Suggestion 5:  As written above, at least one ice-themed map does this.
[/quote]

Offline AXEL

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +9/-2
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »
Every persons custom design would have to be stored in some sort of temp folder maybe. I'm not sure how the source engine handles it. Suggestion two sounds a lot like project reality,  which sucks when you have an incompetent commander.

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
Great Ideas Indy!

Suggestion 1: I agree, I would like to be able to have the end screen last a bit longer and as cherno suggested i would enjoy being able to still use chat while the end screen is showing

not much i can say with suggestion 2 aside from it might not be possible to do in cryengine 2

suggestion 3: DFA may happen at somepoint, but right now collision detection is very poor with the mechs, why there is no damage when you run in to people, also why the Battlearmor claw is not implemented yet. I am sure eventually they will get around the problems and get it working.

4: Yeah i would love to be able to put custom insignia on the mechs

5: yeah outpost has a bit of fog on your cockpit glass, so does extremity. It is probably just a particle effect of some sort.

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
#1 - we use the default round-end timers from Crysis, changing these would help some players and annoy others that just want to get on to the next game

#2 - nice to think about but a massive undertaking when you wade into it and we still don't have primary features completed

#3 - we want to do this but there are technical challenges to making it happen; Crysis collision + MWLL 'Mech construction = a wretched hive of scum an villainy

#4 - all textures have to be loaded at game client start, adding custom logos/textures would be a large undertaking for minimal benefit - again not going to be looked at until primary development features are completed

#5 - ice-over and water drops already are applied to the player visor (not the vehicle glass) but could be done at a later time, not a high priority for sure
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".