Author Topic: Master&Commander self narc  (Read 5642 times)

Offline Grisnir

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-0
Master&Commander self narc
« on: January 14, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »
(Sorry for my horrible horrible english )

This happens for me yesterday. I went up a hill, targeting a enemy and fired my narc. Instead that the narc hit the enemy, the narc hit myself and goes active, so that every friendly LRM/Arrow would hit me.
I know, my english sucks. feel free to to correct me but do it nicely :)

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +165/-14
  • Fun now allowed
Re: Master&Commander self narc
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post this bug. This bug has been around while, and im pretty sure we have an internal ticket for it, so it should be fixed for future versions.   :)
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline 1N4001

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-0
  • no fun allowed
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 10:16:24 PM »
so that every friendly LRM/Arrow would hit me.
I laughed.

Sorry.

Offline Der Templer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-0
  • The Lyrian Commonwealth shakes u baby!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:40:11 AM »
Hi,
the narc works like a cruise missile, therefore it needs time to get the fighting speed. When u run full speed, starting a narc it become thrown out of ur mechbody and while the engine starts you make it up to your narc and it locks on your mech. Slow down.... start narc.... and give full throttle again.... thats how it works....

No bug... its something like physics....  ;)

p.s. that it locks on a friendly mech ... that is a bug....

Wanna have functioning electonic ordnance, dont buy it from the Davions....
The Lyrian Commonwealth will support you in electronic warfare.
Our powerful and experienced industry awaits ur orders....................  rofl...

with regards
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:04:59 AM by ~9th~ Der Templer »

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:57:05 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to post this bug. This bug has been around while, and im pretty sure we have an internal ticket for it, so it should be fixed for future versions.   :)

There is :-X The issue is the placement of the NARC launcher and the path the NARC missile if fired when the Atlas torso is turned to either side while tilted forward.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline sirmonkey

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »
(Sorry for my horrible horrible english )

This happens for me yesterday. I went up a hill, targeting a enemy and fired my narc. Instead that the narc hit the enemy, the narc hit myself and goes active, so that every friendly LRM/Arrow would hit me.

yeah happens a lot. just be glad you weren't the guy with the M&C on SJ's server the other night.. he accidentally narc'd himself and took 8 arrows and 160 missiles from his own team :D

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »

There is :-X The issue is the placement of the NARC launcher and the path the NARC missile if fired when the Atlas torso is turned to either side while tilted forward.

Something else to consider: the NARC missile seems to be tracked on the server side, rather than the client side as all other missiles (currently). Just like the SSRMs back then, when they were tracked on the server side, the NARC missile flies in a weird, jerky pattern. When you fire a NARC it often suddenly drops down and to the left slightly, or jumps back to its original flight path etc. I think this is the reason why Cloudburst thought, that NARCs are affected by gravity ( http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?topic=16570.0 ).

Offline 1N4001

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-0
  • no fun allowed
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »

Something else to consider: the NARC missile seems to be tracked on the server side, rather than the client side as all other missiles (currently). Just like the SSRMs back then, when they were tracked on the server side, the NARC missile flies in a weird, jerky pattern. When you fire a NARC it often suddenly drops down and to the left slightly, or jumps back to its original flight path etc. I think this is the reason why Cloudburst thought, that NARCs are affected by gravity ( http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?topic=16570.0 ).
All missiles are tracked by server and client independently. Obviously, the server tracking determines whether missiles actually hit. Thus, there may be discrepancies between what the client sees and what is actually happening.
The actual NARC flight path is straight ahead, despite what the client may show.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 02:25:35 PM »
All missiles are tracked by server and client independently. Obviously, the server tracking determines whether missiles actually hit. Thus, there may be discrepancies between what the client sees and what is actually happening.

What I meant was: in the past, as an experiment, SSRMs were only tracked on the server's side and on the client their positions were only updated by the server. The client did not independently track them as well. This experiment has since been discarded, however, the NARCs still seem to have this system in place.

The actual NARC flight path is straight ahead, despite what the client may show.

Cloud burst made a test, where my Mech was standing on a hill and he was shooting a NARC at me in his Raven from below, 900m away or so. Even though the reticule was aimed at the torso of my Cougar, which was well exposed when viewed from below (only my feet were hidden from that view point), the NARC hit the hill instead. According to my obersvations, the NARC does indeed fly to the point where you aim, but it flies in a wonky pattern due to the server side tracking. It seems as if the point of exit on the server side is different from the one one the client side.

Offline whatever

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-1
  • Has the wisdom of the old man of the mountain.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »
I had a master and commander atlas once but i took a narc to the knee... :P

yeah its a rare bug that affects me once and a while..i wonder if its related to the spawn timer count down not going away bug also...
I was a mechwarrior like you once; until i took a arrow to my mech's knee ...

Offline sirmonkey

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 02:15:01 AM »
I had a master and commander atlas once but i took a narc to the knee... :P

yeah its a rare bug that affects me once and a while..i wonder if its related to the spawn timer count down not going away bug also...

spawn timer is a whole different thing. its been a bug since the day one and its hit or miss and hard to duplicate.

Offline =9th= Eisenkrieger

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +26/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 02:50:22 PM »
I also got this bug yesterday... nearly every narc I fired hit myself. And I was standing ON a hill with nothin in front of me.

Offline Freeborn_Toad

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +44/-6
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 08:25:32 PM »
I NARC myself very frequently when using this asset.

It's seems to happen more frequently when my torso is twisted in a direction other than where my legs are facing, when I'm facing down, or when I am moving. Until I got the hang of things, fully two-thirds of the NARCs I fired would stick to me. it's down to about one in five or six now, but still extremely annoying.

Cloud burst made a test, where my Mech was standing on a hill and he was shooting a NARC at me in his Raven from below, 900m away or so. Even though the reticule was aimed at the torso of my Cougar, which was well exposed when viewed from below (only my feet were hidden from that view point), the NARC hit the hill instead. According to my obersvations, the NARC does indeed fly to the point where you aim, but it flies in a wonky pattern due to the server side tracking. It seems as if the point of exit on the server side is different from the one one the client side.

The NARC launcher seems to be placed pretty low, so even if it does fly in a straight line to exactly where you are pointing, it does not follow your line of sight.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »
The NARC launcher seems to be placed pretty low, so even if it does fly in a straight line to exactly where you are pointing, it does not follow your line of sight.

Yes, this would definitely happen with the Atlas for instance. But he was in a Raven, where the exit point of the NARC launcher is even slightly above the cockpit/reticule. Just watch flight pattern of a NARC closely. It may vary a lot, but after 100m or so for instance, it looks like the NARC missile suddenly "drops" down a little bit (while still flying straight ahead) and stuff like that.

Offline Leggat

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 12:39:18 AM »
Jeez, you guys are a NARCissistic bunch, complaining about how this problem only affects you. 

;D

ok, forced myself to wait 24 hrs before asking if everyone got horribly offended by that painful pun, or just horribly offended.  lol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:16:53 AM by Leggat »