Author Topic: Recommended and Minimum System Requirements for MWLL  (Read 11283 times)

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
Recommended and Minimum System Requirements for MWLL
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:32:20 PM »
This is just my opinion as a developer, knowing the specs, current requirements and possible future requirements to play MWLL so take it with a grain of unbiased salt. The baseline specs I'd recommend for a PC is as follows. Please budget accordingly as this is just a baseline measurement for adequate performance and an explanation of how every part of your computer affects MWLL performance.

CPU should be 3.2+Ghz Quad-Core (Crysis isn't fantastic at Multithreading, but will still use two cores, and physics can be put on a third). Our game is extremely CPU intensive, so if you're going to sink a buck into any particular part, it should be the best CPU (preferably an i7 as its 4 cores are registered at 8 [with Hyperthreading], which gives you better overall performance as the extra cores can be put on system and background tasks). Our game should have at the very least 2 cores to itself, with 3 being optimal (push physics to third core) and let background tasks run on your remaining cores.

RAM should be 4GB minimum (6+ recommended) as with modern-day operating systems (Windows in particular) I run roughly 1.5GB at a fresh boot (Windows 7 pre-caches RAM to be used for commonly accessed programs, so your computer isn't actually using 1.5GB the same way WinXP would, as this increases overall performance at the cost of pre-cached memory). MWLL generally uses 1+GB of system memory, but to avoid "paging" (paging means accessing the hard disk to be used as temporary ram, which decreases overall system performance as your hard disk isn't as "fast" as ram). So, in summary, by default, with a fresh boot of Win7, no background programs running, and just MWLL, you're looking at almost 4GB ram optimally without any performance decrease.

GPU should have at minimum 1GB memory for optimal performance. You may skate by with 512mb, but you will notice stuttering at higher resolutions and texture settings simply because MWLL also uses quite a bit of video memory due to the amount of assets loaded on screen. MWLL is a different beast than Crysis as the maps are generally much larger, as are the assets themselves (larger assets require larger textures as they take up more actual world-space than Crysis assets). To retain visual fidelity, larger texture sizes are required per-asset, which increases the amount of video memory used. I'd recommend a card with 2GB ram personally to future-proof yourself for this game, and others.

Sound Card should have at least 128 channels, 64 minimum to avoid the dropping of sounds. Generally, sound cards don't matter much in current systems, but for some reason, due to the amount of things going on (multiple weapons firing from your mech and others around you, collisions, sound effects, so forth) our game is a bit more sound intensive simply due to the amount of things actually going on around you. This is just recommended, but not as highly recommended as the above parts. Regard your sound card last in the priority list.

In summary;

My personal Recommended MWLL System Requirements for optimal performance:

CPU = 3.2Ghz (or higher) Quad Core i7
RAM = 4GB (or higher) 
GPU = 1GB (or higher)
SC = 128 Channels

My personal Minimum MWLL System Requirements for sub-optimal performance:

CPU = 3.0Ghz (no less) Dual-Core
RAM = 4GB (no less)
GPU = 512MB (no less)
SC = 64 Channels

Obviously there are other things that can affect performance, such as hard drives. Getting a 10k RPM hard drive or SSD will decrease loading times of launching MWLL and loading maps and increase overall system performance dramatically. Faster RAM (DDR3 1333+) will also decrease loading times and speed up the launching of applications and so forth, but it really comes down to finding a nice median for your budget.

If you can't afford a system with the recommended system requirements, you can build a baseline PC that can run MWLL (and any other game) fairly well with $500-$700. Anything higher than that is just performance gravy.

I hope this helped.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
Re: Recommended and Minimum System Requirements for MWLL
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:06 PM »
I disagree with parts of your recommendations.  The absolute most horsepower you can gain in MWLL comes from a fast cpu.  It MUST be dual core and it must be fast.  Crysis really only uses 2 cores, you can go crazy setting some things like physics on to a 3rd core for small gains, but the most important thing here is cpu speed.  Hyperthreading or additional cores is not nearly as important as a fast cpu.  You can use those extra dollars you saved for a higher-end cpu with hyperthreading for the raw base clock speed and latest architecture. 
(If you're building a new system, 2500k is by far your best option.  I have one and MWLL still bogs down every once in a while.)

I play on low/medium settings in windows 7 and I rarely see memory usage near 4gb.  Unless you have a high-end system playing at high settings, 4gb is fine.

Everything else Defender said is all useful information, but keep in mind that MOST of your performance in this game is from your CPU.  THEN, it's your gpu.  MWLL is different from most games because you want the latest and greatest processor and NOT the graphics card. 
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »
Our game is extremely CPU intensive, so if you're going to sink a buck into any particular part, it should be the best CPU

Right here I emphasize the importance of the processor. There's no need to disagree. I already agreed with you. The first and foremost part of any system made to play MWLL should be the processor and primarily the speed of the processor at that. The higher the speed, the better off you are, even at the expense of cores if I were building a machine for -only- Crysis/MWLL. Hell, if I were only building a MWLL machine I'd get an overclocked 5Ghz Dual Core (if no quad cores were available at that speed) with 4GB System Ram (with super fast DDR3), SSD's in Raid, and SLI'd video cards with 2GB ram each. More than enough but extremely application specific.

The sky is the limit when building a gaming rig.   

Though, unless you're just using your computer for gaming, you should never only rely on processor speed alone as even though Crysis uses two cores, future games will use more as they get better at hyper-threading. Also, other programs running in the background affect the overall performance of whatever cores you have by using CPU Cycles on all available cores. By having more cores AND a faster processor (or a good median therein) all the other programs (besides the game) have more available processing power to use since they can be distributed differently to make the most use out of the two cores Crysis wants.

That info up there is simply just suggested references for machines that are excellent for gaming, multitasking, and future-proofing while staying sub-$1k. You can't just think in the now (as in, Crysis uses two cores, get a 9000Ghz dual-core) because then you just set yourself up for bottlenecks in the future. Speed of your processor is more relevant for pushing information through the cores, while more cores allow more tasks to be processed simultaneously.

The most simple analogy is that you have a crackhead (core) running a single cafeteria (processor) line filled with people (processes) being served. He's filling each order quite fast, since he's all drugged up and gunning along, pushing them through the line, but he's still only one man. Now, if you have multiple lines of people, even if all the servers aren't all hopped up on crack, you can serve more people (processes) in tandem, increasing the overall performance of this cafeteria as a whole, especially as the cafeteria becomes more popular in the future.

This is just more information for those who may not know the differences between cores and speed. You have to find a mix of both to get the best overall bang for your buck because even if you have a smoking fast processor you're going to find bottlenecks soon enough as more demanding applications come out in the future. I would never build a computer around a single application unless I never plan to use the computer for anything else.

Then again, if I were to build a computer around a single application, Maya would still laugh at any top-of-the-line machine I can build for the next 15 years as Maya (and its renderer, Mental Ray) will eat as much Ram and Processor as I could throw at it and still beg for more. Games like Crysis though, do see diminishing returns as stated above, and really only utilize two cores and a couple gigs of ram at most.

This isn't a rebuttal, just information for those who may not know.   

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:51:44 PM »
I didn't want to argue with you defender...but you mentioned "future proofing" and I can't let that go.  For those of you reading this and looking to upgrade or build a new system for MWLL, it's a fools game to worry about "future proofing."  It's a marketing gimmick at best. 
(Wait for newest CPU - GPU on the horizon.  Lastest GPU comes out - new motherboard chipset on horizon.  Latest motherboard chipset comes out, faster memory/new cpu socket/new heatsink or case deals, etc.  It's an endless cycle)

The most important thing to learn with this thread is allocating your money to get the best bang for your buck out of your system.  While defender is encouraging getting a fast cpu with hyperthreading, more cores, etc, think about that for a moment.

Today's latest and best home desktop CPUs:
2500k - 200 bucks
2600k - 300 bucks

The 2600k has all the horsepower of the 2500k with the added bonus of hyperthreading.  Now while that MAY give you a 5-10% increase in MWLL, you could spend that extra 100 on a better gpu.  If your gpu cost $100 and now you can get one for $200, that will definitely give you more than a 5-10% increase.

Lets say you have a $500 gpu.  While one half the price will give you 75% of the performance, you could spend that extra 250 on a newer CPU which will overall give you a bigger performance gain.  (According to what I've read on the forums in the past, even today's highest end GPUs, geforce 580, are limited by a 2600k overclocked to almost 5.0ghz)

Pick and choose what is important for you - 30 fps, 60 fps, 100fps with highest settings, level loading times, etc, and allocate the money accordingly.  Hope this helps.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:57:35 AM »
Pick and choose what is important for you - 30 fps, 60 fps, 100fps with highest settings, level loading times, etc, and allocate the money accordingly.

Correct. This is what's important.
Design a system that works best for your budget and computing expectations.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 12:44:25 PM »
There is one crucial information missing: having a modern operating system is not enough, it should, it must be a 64-bit operating system, otherwise crashes will definitely happen.

I disagree with parts of your recommendations.  The absolute most horsepower you can gain in MWLL comes from a fast cpu.  It MUST be dual core and it must be fast.

That's still an insufficient requirement. For instance, you could have an old Conroe Dual-Core, overlocked to over 9000 Gigahertz, but it would still give you bad performance, due to a memory bandwidth bottleneck. A modern architecture is as much a requirement as a 'fast' CPU.

Offline Mitchpate

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
    • NetBattletech
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 06:53:01 PM »
I didn't want to argue with you defender...but you mentioned "future proofing" and I can't let that go.  For those of you reading this and looking to upgrade or build a new system for MWLL, it's a fools game to worry about "future proofing."  It's a marketing gimmick at best.
Having built a computer 5 years ago that can still play MWLL, and most other modern games at 1920x1080 just fine, future-proofing certainly is NOT a marketing gimmick.
Mitchpate
NBT Admin Team

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 08:45:38 PM »
There is one crucial information missing: having a modern operating system is not enough, it should, it must be a 64-bit operating system, otherwise crashes will definitely happen.

That is false.  In fact, I had very few crashes using a 32-bit system.  Crashing seems to be a combination of hardware/driver issues.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »

That is false.  In fact, I had very few crashes using a 32-bit system.  Crashing seems to be a combination of hardware/driver issues.

Given enough play time and depending on the maps you play, MWLL will crash due to the 2GB memory allocation limitation of 32-bit operating systems (in their default configuration). Recent patches have alleviated the issue a little bit more, but it can and will happen.

Crashes for other reasons happen as well of course.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 09:02:34 PM »

32bit is not recommended for a modern operating system or processor.
Just because it works doesn't mean it should be used.

The biggest factor (aside from lacking the ability to run 64bit software) is that you're limited to 3.2GB of system memory. So, even if you have 16GB ram, you're only allowed to use 3GB of it.

Offline -NeBeL-

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »
I have a question. Does somebody have a rig that can run MWLL on Very High settings without any lags/freezes?
Does such a rig even exist?

Offline LazarusLong

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 08:11:43 AM »
I would like to mention that the motherboard plays a significant part of the entire system set up. If you have a bridge speed to your RAM that is only 800MHz then having the more expensive RAM running at 1333MHz, then it can't actually use the extra clock cycles. Use the spare cash to upgrade some other components.

Make sure that the board can actually TRANSFER the data around it to the component parts.

My 2 cents.

Ps, Running a Duel CPU 3GHz, 6G x 800Mhz RAM, SSD w/ Win7, GTX570. MWLL - High settings on 1920 res and FPS JUST fast enough not to bother me :-)

Offline HarassMe

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 11:28:18 PM »
I have a question. Does somebody have a rig that can run MWLL on Very High settings without any lags/freezes?
Does such a rig even exist?

i have everything max'd out at 1080p and i haven't noticed any issues. There is one map where the shadows and dust act really freaking crazy, flashing in and out... on that map i only hit like 50% gpu. It could be my OC, but i'm not terribly concerned with it since it is only the one map.

my rig isn't the latest and greatest but its no slouch...

i7 920 4.01ghz@1.28v
MSI HD7970 @ 1100/1500
12gb ddr3 2000
128gb pyro SSD

Offline Cataclysm315

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »
Hey guys I know this post is old but just for people making a system that have a bad budget I thought I would post this.
My system runs MWLL fine on medium settings with the following specs.
2.5Ghz E5200 CPU
2GB RAM
600 Watt PSU
9600GT
Asus p5kpl-am motherboard
windows xp 32 bit professional.
I know its not great Im just saying if you want to play and have low budget it is still possible. Just dont stray below dual core otherwise your game will be excitingly bad. :P

Offline pickles2012

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 01:24:54 AM »
how do I push processes to the 3rd and 4th cores?
3 x 16:10 monitors on a 6950 2gb run off a Q9550 2.8g 775 socket
rat 7, steel battalion controller in the wings