Author Topic: Terrible performance- game is pretty much unplayable.  (Read 8361 times)

Offline RL_Nice

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Terrible performance- game is pretty much unplayable.
« on: February 11, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
I am running Windows 7 64-bit via Boot Camp on a 2008 MacBook Pro.
These are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
P8600 @ 2.40 GHz
2.00 GB RAM

I was able to run Crysis single-player on medium settings without much trouble. Haven't tried multiplayer yet. MWLL takes a while to start up, but that's tolerable. What isn't is the actual in-game performance. The game runs reasonable well when there's nothing else but scenery on the screen, but as soon as anyone starts shooting, the frame rate takes a brutal drop.

And by brutal, I mean the game basically freezes completely. It's only after I'm dead that the game picks up again. So yeah. MWLL is unplayable. I tried running the game on minimum settings and lowering the screen resolution, but there is no effect.

I hope this doesn't mean I need to get a new computer. I'm currently going through college and a new gaming computer is nowhere within my budget. Is there anything I can do with the computer I currently have to improve performance?
This is a signature.

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
Re: Terrible performance- game is pretty much unplayable.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:11:36 PM »
Hey RL_Nice, welcome to the forums!

It's unfortunate that I'll probably be the first (maybe not the last) to tell you that you'll need to upgrade to get some respectable frame rates. MWLL is a lot more intensive in the visual department than Crysis; but, a lot of optimizations are being made, and/or discovered pretty much every day. 2 GBs of memory is really low for this mod, and I'd honestly recommend no less than 4 GBs. As for the CPU, from my experience, the closer you are to 3.0 and above the better. So if possible on that MacBook Pro, I would see about overclocking it at least 0.60 Ghz. Then lastly, your integrated GPU also may not have the speed, or memory capacity for the game; however, that's speculation as you haven't stated which one is in that system.

What you can try to do for the time being, outside of spending any major amount of money is downloading, and installing CCC. These individual have created a program that allows you to select an appropriate level of performance versus visual fidelity at very little cost to the looks of the game. I would personally start out with "LVL 1" myself and go from there. You might also want to consider trying the "Repair Build" and "Clear shaders cache"  button on the launcher just in case something in your MWLL folder is corrupted and causing lag.

Offline kryobig

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
  • A dish best served cold.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:15:33 PM »
What I suspect is holding you back is your graphics card. Your CPU should be fine, not great but enough to run the game. I do not know about the cooling solution on macbook pro, but generally overclocking a laptop is a big no-no unless you want a really expensive stove. About memory,  2GB is a bit low, but I have never seen the game to consume more than 1,5GB myself, so if you shut down everything else while playing, it might just be enough. For me with my normal background services running on windows 7 the overall memory use goes to about 3GB though.

I tried to run MWLL on my laptop with i5 480 @2,66GHz, 4GB ram and GF GT540M only to run into similar problems. Because the CPU and memory are similar in performance to my desktop machine, this leaves the GPU as the culprit, which isn't suprising, given that it's definitely the bottleneck in that machine. Also laptop GPUs tend to be somewhat weaker in performance than their similarly named desktop counterparts and often take a chunk of memory from ram instead of having memory of their own. If your GPU is one of those, it could even further emphasize the memory problem.

You might want to check if there's a free memory slot or two in your laptop, SO-DIMM DDR2 is not too expensive and it's very easy to install even yourself. And even if this doesn't make you able to play MWLL, a memory upgrade is one of the best and cheapest way to improve performance even in general use.

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
I did a little research, and at that GHz speed his CPU has, he more than likely has a "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory and dual-link DVI" GPU. So it does have built in memory, but a very low amount. The 512 MB version of this video card would help a lot RL_Nice, but unless you can comfortably pop out your current GPU without having to reflow another one (which can be a lot of trouble) into the slot, you'd do better just holding out for a better custom built, gaming rig. Even, if possible, buying a few parts at a time.

Nevertheless, being I'm not a Mac OS type of fellow, I couldn't tell you if it runs any better in the since of resource allocation to particularly demanding programs as Windows 7 attempts to achieve with its precaching of often used programs. But, that 4 GBs accounts for your background services, among other programs that might be running concurrently during gameplay. And unless you're that constrained on money, I don't see the point in buying just 1 odd extra stick of memory. Especially when the highest you can go is 4 GBs of 667MHz DDR2 with the two slots you have available. Again, it's just my suggestion but I would see about CCC first, and then go from there. Around $80 on average isn't too cheap in my opinion for what else you could use that money for in upgrading to something better later when it's affordable.

In regards to the overclock, only an increase in the voltages would cause the extreme heat build up that kryobig mentioned. Intel CPUs are allowed some ceiling space to overclock automatically depending on the load, i.e. Intel Speedstep. So forcing it to stay around half a gigahertz higher wouldn't burn your PC up as it'll adjust the voltages for you; well to an extent. If you overclock higher than Speedstep can adjust for, you'll know immediately by your systems stability in game or even as early as boot-up (which can be just as intense on the CPU). Honestly, I'd be more concerned about your GPU getting hot like that, than your CPU because video cards run way, way hotter than any CPU. Even with a combined heatsink design, I doubt the overclock would have that much of an impact on the overall heat generation of your laptop.

For the time being, I'd like to see some frame rate figures when it's running at its best (before battle I suppose); when you're in battle; and shortly after battle when "it picks back up" as you said. You can obtain your FPS by going into the game console, pressing the ~ key, and typing "r_displayinfo 1."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:45:26 AM by Bobby »

Offline J-Me

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +48/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 09:57:29 AM »
I am running Windows 7 64-bit via Boot Camp on a 2008 MacBook Pro.

Well there's ya problem!

Don't buy anything from Apple, it's all way overpriced. i.e. You get less for the same cost.

Also, the 8600M GT is a cheap and extremely low performance card.

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
Hate to say it, but dual core 2.4 GHz is probably not the best either. Generally any time you try to run a pretty intensive game on a laptop, you're gonna have problems unless you spent a LOT of money and built it yourself.

OR, it could be the server you're playing on. I was playing in XI today and the game got to be EXTREMELY laggy because the server was dying. It was really bad for many people. It needed to be reset.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »
My Dell laptop has better specs than your macbook and it doesn't run it well either. These mobile graphics cards are pretty weaksauce really unless you get a beast of a laptop that has 30 minute battery life. Desktops are the best bet for this kind of gaming demand.

Offline RL_Nice

• Bondsman
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:40:22 PM »
Well, CCC didn't help (wasn't hoping for much, anyways), and I'm pretty sure it's not an actual framerate issue, since the game itself slows to a crawl. I guess it's time I start saving up for a new computer.
This is a signature.

Offline RL_Nice

• Bondsman
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:41 PM »
New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?
This is a signature.

Offline ratbuddy

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +76/-1
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »
New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

No. An external hard drive only adds storage, and what you need is more processor and working memory. There's really nothing you can do that will make that computer run the mod well.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:03 PM »
also you never want to play a game that has been installed on an external hard drive, because they will be slower than the hard drive inside your computer.

I think the consensus is that you're going to need to buy an up to date computer with the proper hardware to run this game.

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 09:57:04 PM »
No, your MacBook wont be anyhow able to stomach this very demanding Mod, sadly.
A newer, quite capable machine could look like this:

CPU:
-Intel I5 2500K (best buck-for-bang ratio out there at the moment) ~170€
or
-AMD ??? (Im out of my water here, pls someone versed in AMD CPU´s help me out here)

Mainboard:
-AsRock Z68 Pro3 (quite cheap, stable, efficient) ~90€
or
-MSI Z68A GD55 if youd like to have a better overclockable mainboard) ~150€

4-8 GB Ram :
-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 ~40€ (8GB Kit)
-G.Skill Sniper F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR  ~50€ (8 GB Kit)
-G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH ~25€ (4GB Kit)

Aftermarket CPU-Cooler :
-Thermalright Silver Arrow ~50€
-Noctua NH-C14 ~65€   
-NZXT Havik 140 ~70€

Graphics Card "GPU":
-AMD Radeon HD 7970 (a brutal, highpowered beast; loud) ~500€ or more depending on Chipyield and availability
-Nvidia Zotac Geforce 580 AMP (smart aftermarket cooling, comes Overclocked to you) ~500€
-Powercolor Radeon HD 6970 PCS+ ~290€
-Asus EN GTX570 DC II (smart aftermarket cooling, slightly OC´d) ~290€

Please note this: all written above is taken from various sites in the net, such as :
www.pcgameshardware.de
www.tomshardware.com
www.geizhals.at
and some other

I would advise to read into the whole thing a bit to get a feeling what you might need and whats worth its price since none of us can feel what amount of money you would like to spend and how your rig should be like in the end regarding actual performance.

If there are ANY questions occuring feel free to ask around here on the forums, we have several very technology-affine people here that are nearly everytime able AND willing to help .

Good day y´all !

---Edit:
I know this not only looks like a fapping bunch of money, it is.
BUT actually you can keep many parts of it for many a year, especially if you bite the bullet and spend a few bucks more for solid mid-to high class parts instead of trying to save on every end available.
Hell... Ive got several parts of my PC up and running through spaces of up to 5 years, some parts did even hold longer.
+
I especially know its awful hard to get some money when youre studying, but I can tell you this much : a good PC will satisfy many a wish such as: 3D-Rendering, creating Music (although I know the Mac´s are better off in this case), watching DVD´s/Blu-Ray´s, streaming Music all over the place via Wi-Fi , gaming (which is very hard on Mac without BootCamp and the possibility to change Hardware components when the need might arise).

Hopeful to see you somewhere in the near future rocking MWLL .
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:39:09 AM by =CJW= Rad Hanzo »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline Gremlich

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +42/-1
    • Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 09:48:18 PM »
I will advise you to do what I and others have recommended: 1) keep your Macbook the way it is and use it for everything but gaming. After all, that is what a Mac is for; 2) build an OS7 64-bit gaming rig for the fun gaming that will be coming out this year.

Short of buying yourself a top of the line Macbook (which I do not think anybody really needs to do), building yourself a gaming rig will save you MUCH money and you will not lose your current productivity capability.

You can do it!

And for less than $700 - and there are people here than can tell you how.
“Fail to honor people, they fail to honor you; but of a good leader, who talks little, when his work is done, his aims fulfilled, they will all say, 'We did this ourselves.'” -- Lao Tzu

Offline RL_Nice

• Bondsman
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »

No. An external hard drive only adds storage, and what you need is more processor and working memory. There's really nothing you can do that will make that computer run the mod well.

I did some research and found that Vista and 7 (which is what I'm using) has a feature called ReadyBoost which appears to do what I'm thinking about. But before I give it a try, can someone here tell me more about it?
This is a signature.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »

I did some research and found that Vista and 7 (which is what I'm using) has a feature called ReadyBoost which appears to do what I'm thinking about. But before I give it a try, can someone here tell me more about it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readyboost

It only helps for hard disk read operations. So it may "perhaps" help speed up things like loading the map, it will not improve FPS at all.