Author Topic: Knights Grand Tournament  (Read 9619 times)

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
Knights Grand Tournament
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:12:09 PM »
Hear Ye!

Come one and all to the 5v5 Knight's Grand Tournament this March!

Signs up start today and end February Wednesday the 22nd.
The Tourny will begin March 1st and run through the month.

The rules include:

1. No repeating variants for the entire tournament! (NRV)*

5v5 mixed tech (a unit may puretech as long as they have the variants to do so).

3. Best out of Three.

4. Maps will include all custom and official maps which support ToS gamemode and will be announced in the final week of February. All participating teams will be expected to obtain the announced map list and make sure their team has them working. Maps have been announced and can be found here : http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,16920.msg289441.html#msg289441

5. Air will be allowed on certain maps, the maps with * by them on the map list have air allowed.

6. 325 tons flat. (Though puretech will still be possible if a unit really wants it, mixed tech is the official rules.) 

7. The Tournament will be double elimination. See the bracket.

8. The initial seeding has been randomized and put up.

Team Creation Rules

I will be making a sign up thread soon, I would like posts to be kept to team creation coordination and team deceleration posts only, if you want to randomly comment about the tourny, please do it here. 

A unit with a minimum 6 pilots must declare their team by the deadline.

OR

An Ad Hoc team can be created: If at least six pub free agents band together and create a team with a name, they can be added to the list. One of them will need to be team captain who will communicate with me Via Private Messages on these forums to receive their updated variant list and help coordinate match times.

For actual units, =CJW= for instance, anyone who is in that unit is considered part of their unit's team should they declare. However, if ~SJ~ for example needed some extra free agents, they would have to declare them to their
team before the deadline. So, ~SJ~ declares the SJ team + joepubber1 and 2.

But for Ad Hoc teams, everyone must be declared each pilot at a time to officially be on the team.

You cannot be on more than one team. (though I MIGHT allow pilots from a dead team to sub for teams still alive if said teams can't field enough men for a match... we will see...)

If we have an odd number of teams by the deadline, one more team can be added on first post first serve basis, by Saturday Feb the 25th. If no team signs up by then, the last team to have signed up will be dropped (sowwy).
(NRV)*

First off, No repeating variants for an entire tournament is indeed possible.
Consider this: there are at least 134 mechs, 30 tanks, and ~20 aircraft variants in MWLL currently.  If we have 16 teams (I highly doubt we will get that many) then the Maximum games one team could play is around 8 or 9, if you mulitply that by 5 and multiply that by 3, it comes out to around ~130 variants used overall.

There are two exceptions to the No Repeating Variants rule.
APC and BA have an infinite supply. You may only take one BA per round though. Thus, you may take the APC to provide reloads or just take the BA.
The APC costs more tonnage and cannot carry the team, so the only additional advantage it brings over a BA is reloads.

For everything other than BA and APC , you get one of each, PERIOD.
No matter if you keep it or it's destroyed.
This is meant to stretch your pilots and droplists to the max, if you want a drop full of great variants, then that better be a damn important round to you.

Rather than keeping a list of available assets updated, each team should follow the simple rule that everything that hasn't been used may be used.
The day before each game I will send an official list to both teams of the variants they have already used. Anything on that list may not be used.
To keep things straight it is recommended each team captain confirm with me all the variants they used after each game is played.

If I catch anyone using a variant for a second time, they immediately forfeit that round.

CBT weights will be kept to with two exceptions, the Partisan tank will be considered 40 tons instead of 80. And the Oro tank will be considered 50 tons instead of 60.

If any assets are introduced via official patches by the time the tournament starts, they will be allowed. 

Scheduling

I will make a scheduling thread with every day in March in it, teams are welcome to coordinate on that thread and through PMs or any other means they wish. All times will be recorded in GMT on that thread next to the appropriate day. I will link to a GMT converter in the thread.
Would be sextastic if we can finish the tourny by the end of march, but we will see.

If a game time is agreed upon by two teams but less than five pilots show up for one or both teams, The game will still be played with the same rules.
Thus if 5 show up for one team and 3 for the other, well that will be three assaults vs 5 somethings. ;)
In order to prevent this I suggest having a few extra pilots above the minimum before the deadline is through.

If teams cannot agree on a match time by a weeks time, I will set one on either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Whoever can show up will play. (I know its supposed to be a 5v5 but lets try to get this done by this year eh?)

Recording and other positions

I will try and have every match recorded AND livestreamed if I can.
If you would like to be an official recorder or streamer please sign up in the sign up thread, you can play and record in the same tourny.
I think I can stream myself if needed, but it would be nice to have someone who can do it better. However, I can't be bothered with recording and uploading myself, so I will need others.

Spectators beyond myself, a streamer and a recorder, are not allowed. (Don't want Bulldog chugging while they're trying to fight.)
If you would like to help me in organizing (basically witnessing rounds and making sure rules are kept to) sign up here and I might contact you.
Server stuff

It is most likely that all games will be played on =KoS= Bulldog server.
If Russian or Aussie teams have really bad trouble on it we might be able to set up somewhere else, but I and all the KoS I know have access to the Bulldog so it will make setting this stuff up much easier for me if we keep to that.

IN GAME RULES

Immobile Units:

1.Legged Assets
A legged mech is considered ALIVE until it is destroyed. Thus, it is incumbent upon the team without the legged mech to destroy it.
However, if a legged mech with jump jets wildly uses them and desynchs from the server and buries themselves into the ground, unable to be killed by the remaining enemy assets, it is considered dead.
If both teams come down to legged assets that cannot fight each other, the round is considered a draw and will be replayed if the match isn't already decided.
Remember, with the NRV rule spamming assets that are really good at legging cannot happen very often.

2. Stuck Tanks
Tanks stuck on terrain and unable to finish the fight with no other team mates around to give him a push is considered dead. The driver may not eject and if it is the last unit alive said team has lost the round unless another stuck tank or legged mech is the only unit on the field for the other team. This is another exception to the rule that legged assets are considered alive and will result in a draw.

Units that cannot carry the team:

1.Airpower
Air units cannot carry a team. Meaning that if all ground assets are destroyed, said team loses even though Airpower is still alive.
However, if both teams have legged mechs or stuck tanks as the only ground units available to them: then one side's air power may attempt to kill the immobile units, if successful, they win the round. This is because the immobile ground unit is considered to be carrying the team as long as the air power is alive.
Thus if Team A's Shiva is destroyed by Team B's Sparrowhawk before he can destroy Team B's immobile asset, his team loses. But if he succeeds in destroying Team B's immobile asset and then is destroyed by Team B's sparrowhawk leaving the sparrowhawk the only asset on the field, Team B still loses.

2. BA and APCs
APCs can never carry a team, nor can BA. Once again, if one team is left with for instance a stuck tank and a BA and the other team is left with a legged mech, it is on the BA to successfully destroy the legged mech, if he dies trying or the time runs out, the match is once again considered a draw unless the stuck tank was obviously driven off to some mountains and considered inaccessible, thus considered dead.

3. Inaccessible units
There is a difference between an immobile and inaccessible unit. If a tank or mech or hovercraft intentionally drives or jumps into some mountains to hide from enemies so that their air power or BA can attempt to finish the round then they will be given a warning to return to the fight if they are able or will be considered dead. This will be a judgment call and should be fairly obvious.

Repairing and Ejecting

No ejecting is allowed, except for APCs.
No repairing is allowed, ever.   

Ramming

Ground ramming between tanks and Hovercraft is considered allowed.
Air to Air ramming is a far more complicated case and will be another judgment call. Cases where a Sulla and Hawkmoth are fighting and run into each other attempting to fight are fine because neither can carry the team anyways. Only obvious cases where Team A uses sparrowhawks as guided missiles to instantly ram and destroy Team B's Shivas would be considered lame and illegal, resulting in a draw or forfeit depending on the situation on the ground. 

Rearming
Rearming is allowed at APCs only and by ground assets only.

D/Cs, Server Crashes and Client Crashes:

Easily the most complicated issue. I will have three sets of rules teams can agree to before hand.

Set 1 FREEZE: The Game "Freezes" with all shooting and all moving stopped until the offender can reconnect and return to his asset. Aircraft will balloon at max altitude away from each other until the game resumes. Ground assets may need to  look away from each other before the round can start again (in most cases). For example, a mech or tank cannot align his crosshairs to instagib an enemy BA or crippled unit before the round starts again.  No one will shoot the D/C'd asset or anyone else for that matter.

Set 2 DEFAULT
: Ignore the D/C or client crash for most purposes. IF the client can reconnect he is allowed to make his way back to his ground asset but cannot fight as pilot BA. If his team has already lost, he is considered dead. If however he can make it back to his asset and get back to the fight, he is allowed to do so.
The asset that D/C or crashed isn't allowed to be shot at once the client's ghost leaves the game. While the asset is running forward mindlessly with the client's ghost in the game, it is allowed to be shot at and destroyed. Otherwise, the other team may prevent the BA pilot from returning to his mech (thus considering him dead from that point on) or can just destroy the asset if it is the only one left and the pilot cannot or refuses to risk getting back to it.
Aircraft are considered dead if they D/C (because they would have to get another fresh asset to return). Dedicated BA are considered alive if they D/C and may return to the fight as long as they have not died and the team is still alive.

Set 3 IGNORE: Too bad, whoever D/C's or Crashes is considered instantly dead.

If server crashes, I apologize. The round will be considered a draw and replayed. (There may be judgment calls here. For instance if KoS is losing bad and Bulldog "crashes" I will probably make the call to forfeit the round for us.)

Round Times and Procedures:

Round times will be 35 minutes, 30 minutes to fight plus 5 minutes to build.
Once the clock hits 30 we are going no matter if a team isn't ready (once the game is restarted to start the round in between rounds that is).
If both teams declare ready before the 5 minutes is up they may agree on a time and go.
Team captains should have me on whisper in TS3 Outreach so I can organize the round with them real time.

LEAGUEMODE STUFF

I will disable turrets and midair rearm and any other features that make the enforcement of the rules easier.

Final Round rules:
If a team sweeps 2 - 0 , the final round will not be played.

OVERALL:
If everyone doesn't actively try to play like honorless dicks then we shouldn't have to use many of these rules very often.  ;)

Disclaimers!

These are neither Sacred games, nor is there Prize Money involved.
Try to keep drama and nerdrage to minimum.
In some situations there will be clear rules on how to proceed (scheduling problems).
In other situations we will either have to play it by feel or ad hoc agreement (Disconnects, crashes) 
Yes, KoS will be taking part.
Yes, I would like to play for KoS at times (There is a fappton of organization involved for me and I want to play at least a little bit.)
You will have to trust me when I say I will not build any droplists for KoS nor inform any member about the variants the opposing team has left (everyone can probably guess if they watch the recordings or streams anyways.)
If this bothers you too much, well don't play. :)

Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:23:06 PM by xInVicTuSx »
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline ELH_AIMB

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-0
Re: Knights Grand Tournament
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »
Cool!
Sign ELH!
Allows rearming, repair, ejecting? Allow 2 teams or more from 1 unit?
Trololo-trololo I'm riding on UFO.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »
Cool!
Sign ELH!
Are allows rearming, repair, ejecting? Allow 2 teams or more from 1 unit?

I will be posting more rules later.

But to answer;

Rearming will be allowed for all ground units at APCs (15 tons and must come with BA driver, you get an endless supply of them like BA).
No rearming allowed at bases.
Aircraft may not rearm (infinite ammo ballooners will cause WAY too much rage.)

No repairing.

No ejecting.

In all likelihood, no, Units will not be able to make more than one team. If we have a pathetic number of teams sign up I may just push the start date back to get more rather than allow large units to make multiple teams.

I will be updating the original post with ingame rules soon.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:41:18 PM by xInVicTuSx »
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline ELH_AIMB

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:38:40 PM »
1 life? what about legging?
Trololo-trololo I'm riding on UFO.

Offline Yezibaba

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
    • 9th Blood and Fire
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »
>S> Gents,

nice thing. Sign 9th !

Take care all.

=9th= Yezibaba

Offline ~SJ~Zathrus

• Alphatester
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »
This sounds like a lot of fun  :)

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »
1 life? what about legging?
what about it?

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »
Going to play Rules Lawyer here:

1) If a new patch comes out while the tournament is going on, and that patch replaces a variant, is that considered a new variant (under the NRV rules) or the same one? For simplicity, I suggest it should be treated as the same, no matter how much the variant changes.

If any assets are introduced via official patches by the time the tournament starts, they will be allowed. 

2) Does that include new variants that are added, or are they off-limits until the tournament ends?

3) If my team wins the first 2 rounds, and the third round must be played. Does my team need to field the same number of pilots? In other words, what is to prevent a team from just fielding a single pilot for the last round? (thus keeping their NRV use to a minimum)

4) Is Midair Ramming allowed?

5) Are base turrets disabled? (I assume so, but it was not spelled out)

6) Is there a map time limit?

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »
Rules have been updated.

All variants or assets added in a patch by the time the tournament starts will be considered legal.
If variants are changed then yes, we have to use them, not much choice. I HIGHLY doubt this will be the case though. (massive variant changes are EXTREMELY rare in patches, we should all know this by now. :P)

As for all three rounds, that is subject to change.

In fact, best out of three could be converted to best out of 5 with all rounds NOT being played IF there are enough teams to start the tourny but not so many as to keep the variant pool large enough for the remainder of the tourny.

Plz give me critique and feedback for some of the more technical rules.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:23:18 PM by xInVicTuSx »
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline =KoS=Zeus

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:43:58 PM »
A comment on playing the 3rd round if Team A wins the first 2.

No matter what, the 3rd round does nothing but force people to expend assets. In this situation, both teams will field 2 BA, and 3 useless variants because, win or lose, your team loses those assets regardless of the round's outcome.

Understandably, this keeps really good teams from keeping a phenomenal lead as they are still expending assets roughly equal to the teams that are evenly matched and fighting tooth and nail for a round 3 victory, but, there is literally no point to even playing this 3rd round. You may as well just allow both teams to scratch off 3 trash units from their list and call it a day as there is nothing either team can do to affect the outcome of the tournament in such a 3rd round.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 10:55:54 PM »
Yeah, changed.

I wasn't really crazy about it anyways.

A best of 5 solution with no remaining rounds played will probably be the best if we have under 14 teams.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar, 331st Feral Fangs
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 11:12:41 AM »
Nice initiative!

/Merf - Looking forward to this

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »
NRV is shway.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +31/-2
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 07:14:51 PM »

Offline Yezibaba

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
    • 9th Blood and Fire
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »
>S> all, >S> Invictus,

by the way, THX Invictus for making this Tournament.

=9th= Yezibaba