Author Topic: 5v5 Tournament this March  (Read 9209 times)

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
5v5 Tournament this March
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:21:04 AM »
Hi,

I'm posting this here for all those who don't bother looking down into the dusty depths of the MWLL forums to see my relevant threads in the Matchmaker section.

I'm holding a tournament that will run through next month featuring anywhere from 8 to 16 teams of at least five pilots.

The relevant rules and information can be found here VVVV
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,16841.0.html

While the signup page can be found here VVV
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,16843.0.html

Anyone interested but not affiliated with any current MWLL "clan/unit/team" can post in the sign up section and say that they would like to be set in a temporary team created for this tournament only. Additionally, someone can announce that they are forming a team which could initially include a small group of two or three, or even the single player themselves wishing to "lead" a team into the tourny.

You can even take this as an opportunity to start your own unit, don't worry about having forums, or a site, or a server, or ranks or any of that, I started =KoS= with a tag and an announcement.

If you're already a unit but don't feel its big enough to participate, enter it anyway and ask for players to fill your roster.

Sign ups end next Wednesday but may be pushed back to Friday if we need more teams.

Just wanted to put this out there. :) 
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Quintilian

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
Re: 5v5 Tournament this March
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
I want to take part but am not sure if CJW, the clan I am in, is fielding a unit. I will sign myself up as a merc later tonight if I can confirm what CJW is doing.
In-game names; Quintilian, Purplefluffybunny, =CJW=CutePurpleBunny

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »
Why you no participate CJW? :<

Hopefully some of the current units will come out of hibernation and sign up. >.>
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Quintilian

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:20:32 AM »
Why you no participate CJW? :<

Hopefully some of the current units will come out of hibernation and sign up. >.>

Well, chatting to eRk I think it may be the case of me entering as an independent. Sent Ivaan a PM.
In-game names; Quintilian, Purplefluffybunny, =CJW=CutePurpleBunny

Offline ELH_AIMB

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
Invictus, provide tourney if there will 6 teams minimum? Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Trololo-trololo I'm riding on UFO.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:22:10 AM »
Invictus, provide tourney if there will 6 teams minimum? Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Have you ever seen a tournament bracket, how would it work with only six teams?

Just wait, there will be at least 2 unaffiliated units, there is plenty of time for people to get their acts together. :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:44:31 AM »

This my opinion - why teams don't join.     \may be/

There Is NRV - there is no team, isn't present NRV - there is a team!

/////Rule NRV - not so. Here if it have made NRV only on a round, then a good/ -

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:01:41 AM »
True, but I was hoping people would think about you know... thinking.
Instead of using the same canned tryhard builds over and over and over and over and over and over.

I still want to do it this way.

Maybe next time there will be a compromise of some sort.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:08:12 AM »
If NRV wasn't included, I wouldn't even think of showing up

I'm pretty sure most if not all of KoS feels the same way (or at least they wouldn't enjoy playing)

Offline =KoS=Zeus

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 10:28:32 AM »
Yeah, I get pretty sick of seeing the same tired variants used over and over and over and over again. If I wanted that, I'd play Solaris Arena.

Offline ELH_Vivicector

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +49/-4
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »
NRV for the whole tournament complicates things heavily. But it is still manageable and will make the game more fun IMHO. 

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 12:45:34 PM »
I will agree having it for the entire tournament is extreme.

It is however, one of the only ways to ensure everything is used.

NRV in the same round would just result in the same old same old mixed in different orders depending on the range bracket of the maps played for that round.

The only other way I could think of would be having a complicated system of bans and tonnage restrictions to go along with a round long NRV rule if you want to keep from seeing the same things over and over.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »

This my opinion - why teams don't join.     \may be/

There Is NRV - there is no team, isn't present NRV - there is a team!

/////Rule NRV - not so. Here if it have made NRV only on a round, then a good/ -

You know, I really don't like the NRV thing either, I feel it is a little extreme, but I also don't want to deny our unit the fun of playing.  So I just said that someone else needs to do the droplists, and we signed up. 

One day I am sure someone will come up with a system that falls somewhere in between, but right now I think all units that have any inkling of play organized matches should swallow their disgust and sign-up.  You don't know if it is gonna be fun if you don't try. :) :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 10:37:06 PM »
I think the best solution is to have a 7v7 with 5 rounds and only keep the NRV rule for that match....but there are hardly enough players for that, unfortunately so I think this is second best.
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
NRV (No Repeated Variants for those who haven't been following) will keep it interesting. 

One problem I can see with it though is that it creates a lot of pressure on the designer(s) of the drop lists.  You can lose a match not by being the worse team skill-wise but because the creator of your drop lists wasn't as thorough as your opponents' drop list designer.  It's not really a huge deal but there is going to be a lot of strategy involved in the making of the NRV lists as opposed to with repeatable variants where you cut down on the impact of the drop list on the outcome of the match.  With repeated variants everyone just runs cookie-cutter drop lists with Scat Cs and Bushies and the match is more about who can pilot the assets better and work as a team better rather than who can puzzle together the best drop list.
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus