Author Topic: 5v5 Tournament this March  (Read 9231 times)

Offline =KoS=Zeus

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-0
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
Re: 5v5 Tournament this March
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 12:57:35 AM »
Don't forget the strategy of making the enemy waste their best drop list on a sub-optimal one. There are layers of strategy for this tournament, but, I suspect that, since things will start to get fairly desperate toward the end, even units with less min-max oriented dropdeck commanders are going to find themselves in situations where they have the superior droplist just based off of attrition.

Ultimately, I think I'm most curious to see how this whole thing pans out. Being a fan of less commonly used assets and sub-optimized lists used to defeat more optimized lists with the most commonly seen assets, I want to see what sort of tactics and strategies evolve out of these matches. Additionally, let's see if the Clans can low bid and carry victories like the genetically modified badasses they are. ;)

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 01:17:09 AM »
As an organizer, I'm just a little concerned that the amount of people willing to play is so small.

I could blame it on myself and my rules, but I just don't feel that if I tweaked the rules a flood of people and units would pop out of no where to sign up. Now if I had more and more units coming in here agreeing with Vitos then I would definitely change the rule set up a bit.

But as it is... I don't see much of a reaction at all. There may just not be enough units to support a larger tournament at this point as a growing number of the old standbys have gone into hibernation or retirement.

All in all though, this was sort of a test to gauge how worth it an attempt at a planetary league would be. For as much of a pain in the ass it will be to cherry pick variants from the main list for this relatively short tournament, it will be no where near as much work as maintaining an army for a planetary league would be as far as strategy and time investment goes. 

Now if a bunch of people show up and say "no this is totally different we'd all be on board with a planetary league" then I'd be happy I was proven wrong. At this time I don't think the MWLL community is capable or willing to participate in complicated organized play. (Nothing wrong with this, KoS is one of the most free time conscious units, it really comes down to numbers of people not being there.)

Seems we will have to wait further down the road, though to be honest (my personal feeling here) the announcement of MWO has given me serious doubts that MWLL will end up having robust organized community play. No doubt I believe that most everyone (I know this applies to me) will play both games, but I think when it comes to organized competition MWO will cover that in the end.

Regardless, every night I've played of late I've seen multiple first time players discovering the mod and loving it, so the community will continue to steadily grow.

But yeah, TLDR; over the past months I've been trying to gauge how worth it it would be to try and push for the planetary league to get started up and so far I'm not seeing it.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 02:02:52 AM »
^ This post makes me sad.

I still really want to see a planetary league for MWLL. While I'm sure MWO will offer some great opportunities and a broad range of organized competition, I also feel like it will play a lot differently than MWLL.

Offline TheSneak

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:54 AM »
Dont give up just yet! There are 5 'proper' units signed up, plus Quintilian has rallied a merc team which is looking fairly solid (it has 5 now, and a 6th should be along shortly - PS bloodycrow you should PM quintilian if you are keen)

Assuming that lands us with 6 teams, is there scope to do a round robin for the first round? The top 4 teams on W/L ratio go through to playoffs, and ties can be broken by which team won when the two tied teams met... that sort of thing. Might not even have to play the full 5 rounds of the round robin depending on how scores pan out.
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about." -A. Einstein

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 02:31:31 AM »
Though I would really love to have 8 teams for a best out of 3 symmetrical double elimination tournament, if all we can come up with is 6 teams then a best of 5 double elimination tournament is perfectly possible and will be what we do.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline ELH_AIMB

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-0
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
May be we make 2 group with 3 teams each. In each group all play vs all. One team with the best win/lose ratio from 2 groups goes to play for 1st or 2nd places. Two second teams goes play for 3rd place. If someone have win/lose ratio 1/1 or if all teams in group have 1/1 they goes to play again, but best of 1 or best of 3. Think about it.
8 teams ofcourse will be better!
Trololo-trololo I'm riding on UFO.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »
Signups are closing tomorrow unless we get another team and thus another reason to push the sign ups back to allow an 8th team.

Come on guys! CLAN SEA FOX CLAN COBRA ALLIANCE?!?!?
CLAN JADE WOLF PULLS ITS HEAD OUT OF ITS ASS?
WOLFS DRAGOONS OUT OF FAPPIN NO WHERE?

-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »
clan wolf had 10 guys on last night
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline blasto

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »
Representing Cloud Cobras here.  I was w/o internet for over a week so I missed this thread until today.  I will contact my Kahn and SaKahn and see if they're interested.  I don't think they frequent the forums too much so they may not be aware.  We've managed to bump our numbers in the last week or two so we should be able to field at least 6 pilots.  Many of our boys are quite new to the mod and this tourney is exactly the kind of unit experience builder we need.  Hopefully I'll be able to get back before tomorrow with a more definitive response.

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 09:25:18 PM »
Invictus just asked me to post that he will be sponsoring a $1,000 cash prize for the winners, hopefully that will boost attendance.
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 09:28:39 PM »
In freshly minted Monopoly money.  8)
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline The Thing }12thVR{

• Apprentice Dev
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
I only take prizes in C-Bills.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »

WOLFS DRAGOONS OUT OF FAPPIN NO WHERE?

That'll be the day.  I miss the Dragoons, me so sad, y u no play awesome mod no more.  Tanks are not that fun. ;)

And what Twinkle said, c'mon Clan Wolf, you guys need to test your meddle on something more than pubbers. ::)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »
Good news, Clan Cobra has heard about the tourny and signed up!

That gives us 7 teams now and we will wait for a final team to go for a 8 team tournament.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 10:13:08 PM »
I'll try to rally a few mercs to join me and Bruno for an 8th team.